Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #1

Drove a Road King today

Have a friend in his 70s who owns a 2009 Road King and I went to pick it up today to detail it for him before a long trip. He also happens to be the person I bought my Nomad from. I have always wanted a Harley, mainly an Ultra Classic, and used to own a Sportster back in the late 80s. Anyhow, this Road King is a nice bike. It has throttle by wire, electronic cruise, full anti lock brakes and the security system. It is a very nice ride to say the least, but to be quite honest, it is no Nomad. I do like the rumble of the motor, but other than that, I will take my Nomad any day. The King in my opinion sits much higher in the seat. Even though it is a full size cruiser, it does not feel as big as my Nomad and being 6'3", I like the bigger bike. The electronic cruise is nice, but it is an $800 add on from Harley. My thumb throttle lock cost $35 works just as well. The Harley just doesn't 'glide' down the road like my Nomad. It is just a different ride than the Nomad is and to be quite honest, I think my bike handles a lot better. (Could be because I have a ct on mine) I am not knocking Harley at all, I just like my Nomad a lot better. Some day I hope to get to ride an Ultra Classic, but I know that there basic framework is the same, so I am not looking for much of a different sit than the Road King. The Nomad seems to sit lower in the pants, and farther back from the tree. It is wider and in my opinion, better balanced at the cg. Would I take one if it was given to me?? Yes, it is a nice bike. If someone where to give me $20,000 to spend on a bike, I am afraid I would go buy me a Nomad, and spend what was left on accessories, and a killer sound system for it. Just my humble opinion. I like my bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Drove a Road King today

Not to nit-pick here, but how can you honestly say a $35 throttle lock works just as well as an $800 electronic cruise control?

I happen to have both on my Nomad. I installed a cruise control months ago, but left the Flip-a-lever on just to lock the throttle at a high idle when it's very cold or I am making adjustments to my Cobra fuel processor.

When I have the cruise control on it maintains a constant speed uphill, downhill, and on the flats. Let's see your $35 throttle lock do that.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Drove a Road King today

Cj, Has a point, but cruise is a thing guys out west can use. In my neck of the woods cruise is useless, and the throttle is seldom used as well.

HD is a nice bike, but not for the dough they get. The thing I really don't like is that idle shake..

No one says so, but that shake stresses metal, and in time will break metal.

That same shake loosens things and some of them are important..

In part though I was a foreign car tech and prefer metric things to SAE things.

You put the right tool in the right job and any tool will shine.. I just don't know the right job for Harley.

Right now my dream bike would be a VN 2000 made over like a nomad, less them funky push rods..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #4

Drove a Road King today

Ok, poor choice of words. My point was $765 only. I love the electronic cruise don't get me wrong, there is nothing better. But I will settle for my throttle lock for now. Remember, mine is a 99, no electronic ignition and no throttle by wire, so no electronic cruise. If I where to buy a new Harley, and had the option to pay $800 for electronic cruise, I am not sure I would fork out the extra green. But like I said in the original post, it is just my humble opinion.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Drove a Road King today

yeah in Ok maybe you can use 'cruise'.. In NH it would kill you. There is just no place for it here with mtn roads and sick twisted corners. i could tell you some tales, but would end up paying for YOUR new key board...

lets just say some riders don't like the feel of a road that drops out from under you much...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #6

Drove a Road King today

Road King is a very nice bike,but I just can't make myself spend the extra money for a bike that I don't think is any better than what I have.There is a 2005 for sale in a local metric dealership for under $14000 Somebody probably paid $20000 + for it new.I just can't justify that just to have HD written on it.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Drove a Road King today

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahsdad
Ok, poor choice of words. My point was $765 only. I love the electronic cruise don't get me wrong, there is nothing better. But I will settle for my throttle lock for now. Remember, mine is a 99, no electronic ignition and no throttle by wire, so no electronic cruise. If I where to buy a new Harley, and had the option to pay $800 for electronic cruise, I am not sure I would fork out the extra green. But like I said in the original post, it is just my humble opinion.
I was just having a little fun with you. Besides, my electronic cruise control cost me maybe $75.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #8

Drove a Road King today

Cost is the big deal here. I paid $6000 for mine two years ago with 19,000 miles on it. To find even a Sportster for that kind of money is unheard of. $6000 got me my dream bike. It is the size, style, and fit that suits me. The HD just did not sit well under me. Is a Harley worth the money? Maybe, if that is what you want. It is a finely crafted machine, but for me, no. I find the craftsmanship of my Nomad just fine. It is easy to work on, feels good under me, and is great on gas. But who am I telling this too? You all know what I am talking about.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Drove a Road King today

A co-worker just bought a '99 road king with less than 4000 miles on it he paid ~$9000 for it... his first bike. Sounds like a lot for it IMO but it is incredibly CLEAN! Had I been looking at a Harley when I bought mine I would probably have looked at it real hard.

His first day riding it to work today, and seeing it beside the Nomad his comment was that the Nomad is HUGE!

I am not one to understand the whole idea of needing a bike to be a Harley. I place a value on things I consider buying... I need to convince myself it is worth the extra money, and I don't see it. The Nomad is an incredible MC!!!

I did look at a new Ultra classic this afternoon on my way home and it IS an incredible looking bike. But it is not going to get me anywhere better than the Nomad were I to spend another $10,000 except I would like the cruise and stereo :-*

Old 09-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Drove a Road King today

I agree with you, Don. I think the Nomad is a fantastic bike, plain and simple. I like my Nomad; I have ridden a Road King and it was nice. But I REALLY like my Nomad. If I had the money and the option between the two, I would buy the Nomad, and spend the extra on gear and upgrades. (and my electronic cruise cost around $30!)

Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 AM   #11

Drove a Road King today

Having had a Nomad and an HD Ultra I can tell you that there are differences between the two bikes. (My sig-pics show the two bikes)

Price is a big issue with the HD -- no doubt. Is there a difference for the price? -- yes, no doubt. Is the price difference worth it? For me it was, but for others it may not be.

As far as shaking and the overall ride... mine is an '09 Ultra, thus it has the new frame and about 449 other changes made to the bike from previous year models. These changes have made a big difference to the tourers.

Shaking is always a topic with Harley's. My '09 doesn't rattle like one thinks it does -- believe me. And once you touch the throttle, it is extremely smooth. I know previous year models did shake an incredible amount -- but mine does not shake the fillings out of your teeth.

Mine has been lowered (nearly 3"); which makes you feel as if you are "in" the bike rather than on it. A big difference compared to how a HD tourer feels "stock". I didn't like the feeling of the stock setup on any of the tourers myself; but once lowered -- it is a huge difference -- entirely a different bike. So sit on a lowered model once and see what I mean. (Yes; that costs extra to have it lowered.) So... in a stock-setup, the Nomad wins the "feel" contest.

Don't know about the RK; but my Ultra weighs more than the Nomad; but handles like it weighs about 100 lbs. less -- due to the new frame and lowering-kit. My bike feels every bit as big (if not bigger) than the Nomad. I sometimes think the gas-tank being smaller on a HD makes some feel it is not as big a bike.

For me, there is far more control and balance in slow, critical-speed maneuvers than I had on my Nomad... something that may appeal to some. It most definitely did for me. (2-up rider for over 90% of my riding.)

Cruise control; don't buy a HD tourer without the cruise - you'll blow your chances to re-sell the bike for what you'll want for it -- and the cost only goes up when you try to put it on later. Electronic cruise on the bike is something I wouldn't live without now, after having it. (Worth the price.)

The "tune-machine" is something I don't need or use much if ever... but for those that like it... it is very nice. Again... something I personally don't need.

My heat issue with the HD was in part taken care of on the '09 because of "stock" modifications HD did on the '09's. But I did change to a hi-flow air breather and had the engine re-mapped. Improved power and reduced heat some. (Expensive to do... but worth it for me.)

The '09 Ultra also has considerably larger tires -- both in diameter and in width than previous year models. A huge improvement in the handling of these bikes -- and a definite "plus" over the stock Nomad in my opinion. My rear tire is just about the width of the CT's some of you are putting on your Nomads. (I can see why some are doing that.)

Just my two-cents (soon to be worth one-cent when inflation kicks-in).

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-04-2009, 10:34 AM   #12

Drove a Road King today

Thanks for your opinion, isaiahsdad. My throttle lock works fine for me and my style of riding.

I saw two Harley big bikes parked next to a new Yamaha Stratoliner. It was funny, the Harleys looked so small.

Having rode many Harleys, and owned a Harley, and a Nomad, I will concede the Harley is to me more nimble at speeds below centrifugal force.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Drove a Road King today

There are a number of us who ride to work in my office. My Nomad dwarfs everything else out there, hands down. One guy rides an 883 Sporty, and it looks like a child's toy next to the SuperNomad.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 09-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Drove a Road King today

Cj's method for gettting a vacuum chamber up and working was most clever. He sealed the crash bars and used that volume..

I wonder what HD did?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 09-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
Mega-Contributor

Drove a Road King today

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Cj's method for gettting a vacuum chamber up and working was most clever. He sealed the crash bars and used that volume..

I wonder what HD did?
No, that wasn't me. My vacuum reservoir is located under my radiator in front of the voltage regulator.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060