Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #1

Relay to switch driving lights?

Would anyone know if the relay that comes with the Stebel horn (rated 30A 12V) could be used to switch on 100W driving lights using the high-beam line as the switching current. Not talking about using the same one that drives the Stebel but I have an extra one and would like to use it with driving lights. Of course the Stebel application is very intermittent and the driving light application would be continuous-on. Any way to tell ahead of time without hooking it up and seeing if it gets warm/not?

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-27-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Ells,

30 amps at 12 volts equals 360 watts. The relay can handle the 100W driving lights with no problem.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 09-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #3

Thanks Bob,

I figured that the draw was within the stamped specs but not sure if the rating was for continuous use, or not even sure if relays are even rated for intermittent or continuous use.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #4

Ells, it'll work fine, like Bob said, it is well within it's limit. Just pull the power to power the lights straight from an always "hot" wire to #30 on the relay and make 87 go to the lights. 86 will come from your trigger wire (your high beam) and 85 goes to ground.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 09-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #5

ALSO check your STATE Laws on Running lights,, SOME LAWS STATE that DIVING LIGHTS be OFF with the HIGHBEAM,, I wired my switch off the Low beam wire,, The cool thing is the effect you get when flashing people .. :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #6

Thanks again for the replies.

But doesn't work. All hooked up and on bright it turns on the driving lights but headlight goes out, dim is normal and driving lights off. Checked voltage on bright headlight circuit and drops to about 7.3V when dimmer switch is set to bright and driving lights on, battery monitor still says about 12.4V (engine off). Double checked all connections and even reversed leads going to terminals 85 and 86 and no difference. Have spare headlight bulb and does the same. For this set up I tapped into the wire coming from the dimmer switch to the bright headlight, not the one going from the head light to the bright indicator bulb but shouldn't mater. Kind of defeated at this point, there must be other kinds of relays that won't pull the voltage down.

Good point Radco, doesn't make sense but I know on my stock setup on my car, the driving lights won't come on unless on dim, mostly a fog thing I suppose but not sure why it would be legislated.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #7

Ells in some states they make stupid laws LOL.. CHECK my thread " Can you see me" know,, someone here gave me the color wires to hook up to.. I cut the low beam wire and spliced into that.. MY XEON buld on high lights up better anyway
Not sure why the voltage drop.. I used the Kuryakyn harnedd on mine,, Ill search for my thread,,,Rich

Old 09-27-2008, 10:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells
Thanks again for the replies.

But doesn't work. All hooked up and on bright it turns on the driving lights but headlight goes out, dim is normal and driving lights off. Checked voltage on bright headlight circuit and drops to about 7.3V when dimmer switch is set to bright and driving lights on, battery monitor still says about 12.4V (engine off). Double checked all connections and even reversed leads going to terminals 85 and 86 and no difference. Have spare headlight bulb and does the same. For this set up I tapped into the wire coming from the dimmer switch to the bright headlight, not the one going from the head light to the bright indicator bulb but shouldn't mater. Kind of defeated at this point, there must be other kinds of relays that won't pull the voltage down.

Good point Radco, doesn't make sense but I know on my stock setup on my car, the driving lights won't come on unless on dim, mostly a fog thing I suppose but not sure why it would be legislated.
Ells couldnt find my link but I used
Low beam wire in bucket Red/Yellow
Ground Black /Yellow
dont have the high beam color or the hot wire color,,,

Old 09-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #9

Ells a good instruction page
http://www.valueaccessories.net/Ligh...r%20Wiring.htm
I would try a different power source for the lights,, run a temporary power supply off the battery to the light circuit to see if that works..Could be the indacator wire only draws a small amount of current,, I get my meter and check when I get a chance,,,,,,,Rich

Old 09-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #10

Got it. Many thanks for the multiple follow-ups Rich. Remarkably stupid, I was taking the post 85 to ground through the bulb, just cut the bright lead and ran it through the relay instead of tapping into it. Works great now, as long a Colorado does not have that same law about driving lights on dim only.

Thanks again.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #11

So you are the infamous Flasher? Just kiddin.. but I only have mine to come on when the running lights from the factory comes on, and switched at the light bar. Never thought of running them all the time anyway, but that would be something to ponder. ::)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radco
ALSO check your STATE Laws on Running lights,, SOME LAWS STATE that DIVING LIGHTS be OFF with the HIGHBEAM,, I wired my switch off the Low beam wire,, The cool thing is the effect you get when flashing people .. :)

Old 09-28-2008, 09:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridemslow
So you are the infamous Flasher? Just kiddin.. but I only have mine to come on when the running lights from the factory comes on, and switched at the light bar. Never thought of running them all the time anyway, but that would be something to ponder. ::)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radco
Yup Im the infamous FLASHER (_!_) I usually have on my CHROME THONG ::) .. I use my spots as running lights,, I run them off the FRAME about 10" below the tank.. NICE Tri Angle effect..Drooped the wattage to 35 watts..They are OK as SPOTs at night BUT my XENON 60/55 watt bulb gives my about 100 WATTS off light on HIGH beam,, WAY better the spots,,
My Lo beams look like this

Old 09-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ells
Got it. Many thanks for the multiple follow-ups Rich. Remarkably stupid, I was take the post 85 to ground through the bulb, just cut the bright lead and ran it through the relay instead of tapping into it. Works great now, as long a Colorado does not have that same law about driving lights on dim only.

Thanks again.
Ells HAPPY to HELP ,,Its all stuff I learned here just trying to give back alittle .. BUTT if you got ZAPPED then I would be in deep Crap Rich