Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-31-2016, 03:03 PM   #1

So what did my stupidity cause?

In October I took one last ride after putting my bike up for the winter. When we returned from the ride it was getting late and I assumed I would have a day or two with good weather that week to go fill up. Cold weather moved in.

My nomad sat on the lift in my garage with about a 1/4 tank of gas. A couple of weeks ago I realized this and filled it up with a gas can. I do use seafoam

Yesterday weather turned good so about 40 of my friends got together for a group ride. I went out to check air and such before leaving. Bike wouldn't start!

Took me about 20 minutes to get it to start. It turned over fine. Seemed like it was a fuel issue.

Once it started it ran fine for the day with no problems. I noticed no power loss or any other issues.

I have spent a few days during the cold snap working in my garage with a propane heater.

Do you think I causes moisture to be created in the tank? Shouldn't seafoam have protected against this?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-31-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Did you put stabilizer in?

1984 shadow 750 - R.I.P.
2004 vstar classic 1100 - traded for my first born
2006 Nomad 1600, black
Batwing fairing with full stereo
Vance & Hines dual baggers

Old 01-31-2016, 09:36 PM   #3

I wouldn't be to concerned.............it did start and run fine so you didn't "hurt" anything.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:03 AM   #4

I think Seafoam also works as a stabilizer. Did you you run th bike after filling the tank? If not, the gas in the lines running to the injectors was untreated. Once started you say it ran fine, would not worry.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:24 AM   #5

It may have been a weak battery, or just that fuel evaporated in the system and had to be cycled through. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
It may have been a weak battery, or just that fuel evaporated in the system and had to be cycled through. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
Advanced Member

I wouldn't worry about the fuel going bad, that isn't that long and Seafoam is a fuel stabilizer. I bet it never happens again.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #8

At least you learned a lesson for the winter...keep her filled!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:20 PM   #9

Yep. She's full of gas, sitting on a lift and plugged in to the tender. These weird warm days in the midst of a Missouri winter sure are making me anxious for Spring.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Any time you store your bike with e-10 gas eventually the ethanol will separate in the and cause moisture to accumulate in the bottom of your tank. When you go to start your motor the moisture can interfere with the firing of a cold damp motor at first. I always keep my tank full to the very top during the cold winter months with ethanol-free fuel that can last up to a year and this keeps the moisture out. I also keep a low amp battery tender plugged into my bike all winter too. Once I get back to regular riding come spring I will run ethanol 10 lower octane gas through which is okay as long as you are continuing to burn it through the heads routinely through the ride season.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.