Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 10-21-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel
Potential Career Change to Medical Field

I was wondering how many members in the KawaNow are in the medical field?

In about a year and a half my assignment will end and I will be moving back to the states, looking to make a career change. I have spent the last 22+ years in Japanese automotive manufacturing. And with the bleak future manufacturing has in the states, I feel it best to change and move on.

My interests are:

1. Health care Management or Administration
2. Medical Imaging or Radiologic Technology
3. Pharmacology

I would like to know what it will take to enter any one of these fields? Items 2 and 3, I believe I will require additional schooling.

I currently have my Bachelor's in Business, Masters in Management & Leadership and an MBA.

If anyone would like to jump into this thread and/or PM me to share advise or has any expertise, please do.

Thank you,

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-22-2008, 06:51 AM   #2

Numbers 2 & 3 are good choices right now and yes they will require additional school. Pharmacology results in very good salaries and job security. There is a shortage of pharmacologists at this time and it looks like that will continue in the future. Another option is in pharmaceutical sales which can be very financially rewarding but intails a good amount of travel and long hours.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt

Well... I think all are good choices....and I for one will say GO FOR IT!!!

My background has been Telecommunications...problem is, I've outlasted 3 of my last companies.... MCI/Worldcom, HNS Telecom, Sprint!!!! I'm tired of bouncing back and forth.... SOOOO...I'm making a big jump into Law Enforcement!! I'm in the process (and might I add it's a Lengthly process) of getting on board with a Local Police Dept. Being 37...it's kind of late to be making a carrier change and I'm sure it won't be easy, but it's something I've always wanted to do and I doubt I'll ever run out of criminals...so why not!?!?

Best of luck to you Blue Rebel!!

Old 10-22-2008, 08:33 AM   #4

PM sent

Old 10-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
VBA Founder

22 years ago, I did exactly what you're doing Blue Rebel. I had been in Television for a number of years as a anchor man, newsman, chief videographer, etc. After working for several TV stations I decided I needed a new career, something a little more stable.

I decided to get into computers and healthcare. I went back to school and got my BS and MS and while going to school was able to get on as a computer tech at a state run hospital. I have been fortunate enough to move up and fill some very interesting IT jobs in healthcare. Healthcare is a different animal...most hospitals are regulated by the Joint Commission and HIPPA. Many people think that healthcare is unregulated and just "willy-nilly".....not so. If a hospital is going to receive medicare and medicaid revenue, it has to pass a Joint Commission inspection every three years. On my badge, I have to carry an extra "cheat sheet" to remind me of what I need to say to a Joint Commission Rep if they stop me in the hall and ask me what my role is in the organization, or what our "5 Pillars" mean.

Sorry to get so long with this, but let me just say that working in healthcare is rewarding and profitable, but there's more to it than meets the eye. Everyone complains about healthcare costs and rightfully so, but many don't understand what goes into providing healthcare. Everyone wants the best technology and most experienced staff when it comes to their healthcare...but unfortunately, there's a price to pay to receive it. In an emergency, the medical field is obligated to provide healthcare whether we get paid or not. I don't know of any other business that has to operate that way.

The hospital system I work for (and have for the last 12 years), is a 600+ bed hospital with over 300 Doctors/Surgeons comprised of two hospitals and over 30 clinics. We have over 4,000 employees. We are fortunate enough to be the preferred hospital that patients seek in East Texas. We have two other competitors.

Whatever you decide to do...1, 2 or 3.....start getting the education you need (if you need it) and find an "entry" level position in healthcare early so you can start getting experience. Then, move up from there. Many of our Managers and Directors have at least a bachelor's in Medical Management. Some have their FACHE accreditation. Feel free to check out the "careers" section of any hospital online. There you will find a listing of all the jobs open for that health system. Ours is http://www.tmfhs.org

Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-22-2008, 08:57 AM   #6

Go into education, always looking for good teachers...oh wait, do you want to make money? Nevermind then.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 10-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #7

Like Jussmatt, I jumped careers late. I was a carpenter and broke my back (on a bike, not at work) and needed a new career. In my early to mid 30's I didn't have one semester of college, and ended up with a Masters degree.

Blue Rebel already has two Masters, seems enough education already :)

But here's my thoughts. My wife has a law degree and an MBA, but doesn't do what she would find rewarding. She could have gotten a BS in a biology field and done what she's passionate about and would find rewarding. She can't see herself heading down and starting over at the bottom. I wish she would; 20 years left of doing what you like would be worth it perhaps.

That is a long way of saying, I'd find what you are passionate about, and do what ever it takes to do it. I wanted to jump from carpenter to something rewarding that doesn't need a degree. I found that what I was truly passionate about took 6 years of college. My brother said something like, "what are you going to be doing that's so important in the next six years anyway?" Now I'm 10 years down the road and it's gone by so fast. I'm glad I did the 6 years and I'm doing what I love.

So even though you have multiple advanced degrees, I find what it is that you find stimulating and rewarding, and do what it takes to land a job doing it. No matter what it is.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:42 PM   #8

Another good choice, with lots of job potential, and good salaries is Physical Therapist. If I were you, I would get into that, then open my own PT office and let others work for me. These PT offices are making a killing around here.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel

Hey, y'all. I really appreciate the input. I'm 44 yrs old and thought this company would stick around to retire in.

My real problem has been just what most of you identify...I don't really have an idea what I really want.

I have been interested in the Healtcare field for quite some time now. I don't see myself poking anyone with a needle, but my goal has been to get to an executive level. After 22+ years with this company, I feel a bit out of touch with the real world.