Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #1

NorCal Biker Party: The Aftermath

Well Judy & I left Sierraville at 7:15 AM today & made it home at about 1:00 PM. The good news is that we partied with some wonderful people, had a great 4 days of riding, plus managed to run balls-out almost all the way home without getting busted.

It was a wild ride down I-80, partly due to the ripped up road in places, and partly due to the really nice road in others. We actually only hit the ton once or twice on I-80, but many, many times on highway 99 we burried the throttle for all it was worth. We topped out around 115 several times when there were large gaps between the packs of traffic. WooHoo! In spite of moderate traffic we had not a single incident of concern save one joker in a Honda Pilot who should have his license revoked. He got a big wad of slimy Dentyne for his trouble, once I finally managed to evade his stupid maneuvers.

The cruising through the Gold Country was rather more sedate, except the last stretch coming down from Lake Almanor where we cranked it on pretty good, being desperately in need of a cold beer.

The weather was nearly perfect, with just a handful of raindrops on Saturday afternoon, though it was very hot for Judy & I on the ride from Clovis to Rocklin Thursday (where we met up with the rest of the riders) and it was fairly hot around Lake Almanor and Chester, where we ate lunch on Sat.

Redeye hauled all of the heavy artillery, like barbecues and food and charcoal, propane and chairs, and plenty of food and beer. Redeye cooked twice for us all, and I guarantee that you should not pass up the chance to eat his cookin' should you be lucky enough to have the chance. Also, if the cooks in the confederate army could make gravy like Redeye's, the South might have won the Civil War. I swear, that was gravy worth fightin' for!

Valdez's & his wife Patty cooked at their home for Redeye, Judy and I, on Thursday eve, and I've got to say that as a home decorater Patty makes Martha Stewart look like Edith Bunker. Also she can cook as well as any of those snotty Cordon Bleu types you see on TV. I had such a good time that I was in no shape to ride the Nomad afterward. I probably would have just passed out on Patty's floor, except that Redeye was kind enough to stay sober, and ferry us around to our motel in his truck.

Friday AM, we all met at Denny's in Rocklin. In attendence were Judy and I, Valdez and Patty, Redeye and Anita and their grandaughter Samamtha, their son Tony, their friends Alex and Jennifer, and Jennifer's uncle Bill. Redeye & Anita towed their bikes up along with a 2000 lb. load of party necessities. Valdez & Patty rode a Nomad 1600, Judy & I the Nomad 1500, Alex & Jennifer rode an Electraglide Ultra, Bill was on a Honda VTX 1800 and Tony rode a Silverwing Interstate 650.

We rode up to Sierraville by way of Downieville, and had a nice lunch in Downieville at The Wooden Trout. Unfortunately they did NOT serve beer, so half of the clan wound up eating at the Grubstake Saloon across the street. Downieville is a very picturesque little town, and I wished we could have stayed longer.

Friday night Josh rode in from the coast on his A-model Vulcan Classic. He just made it in time for Redeye's masterpiece barbecue, and our major bonfire party in the Sierra. Josh made a 1000 mile round trip for this gig, PLUS the 220 miles to Chester & back, so he was roundly worshipped as the Iron Butt of the Excursion. We all had a great time that night. I'm afraid there was rather a lot of drinking and some actual howling at the full moon, but we somehow managed to avoid starting a forest fire.

By Sunday morning almost every one was sober enough to enjoy a quick breakfast of Redeye's killer biscuits & gravy and then make the 220 mile round trip up and down the Yuba & Feather River canyons to Lake Almanor & back. Afternoon thunderstorms threatened us for a couple minutes up around Indian Valley, but it all cleared up with narry a sprinkle.

Sunday evening we hustled back to Sierraville for a beer at Sid's tavern, and then all ate a Mexican meal like few have ever seen at the Dos Hermanos, right around the corner. We had a more restrained fire and party that night, or at least I think it was more restrained, because I retired by 9:30, being fairly well drained from all the riding and eating and a modest dose of vodka. Also, I'd promissed Judy we'd leave at the crack of dawn today to avoid riding in the afternoon heat of the San Joaquin.

Unfortunately I haven't had time to look at all the photos & video yet; but expect to see some pics up soon,
Cadd.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #2

Sounds like a hell of a good time Cadd can't wait to see the pictures

Old 08-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #3

Sounds like you all had one heck of a good time. Anxious to see the pics. Glad you all made it home safe and sound.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 08-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #4

Wonderful! Sounds great!

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 08-17-2008, 07:59 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to aj

Sounds Great!!
(Lucky bugger!)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #6

OK, the first round of photos:

1. The rustic Canyon Ranch Resort. OK, it's not the Wuksachi, but it's not $260 per night either! Plus we got free firewood.

2. We stayed in this cute little cabin: The Lazy Bones Den

3. Yup. We had runnin' water. (Trout too.)

4. Nice...

5. Redeye and I consider the liquor situation.

6. This flock of wild turkeys had the run of the place.

7. Lone Juan Valdez mounts the Bridge of Death.

8. Old bridge at the upper Yuba River overlook.

9. Patty, Valdez, & Redeye on the arch bridge:

10. Baggins

11. Valdez's Nomad 1600

12. Uncle bill's VTX 1800

13. Tony's Silverwing.

14. Alex's 'Glyde

15. Bikes line up at the Sierra Valley overlook.

16. From the overlook:

17. Historic Downieville

18. Bridge in Downieville

19. Lake Almanor

20. The crew at the Indian Valley Monument (counterclockwise from bottom left) Josh, Valdez, Anita, Redeye, Judy, Patty, Alex, Jennifer

Old 08-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #7

Oh, guys, we had a hell of a good time alright. I wish you could have been there. We had to hurry back today, and so we missed the last day's ride, which was along the shore of Lake Tahoe. I just heard from Valdez, and it sounds like that was beautiful and went off without a hitch. We got in 850 miles of riding without the Tahoe leg, so I cannot complain a bit.

More photos after I rest up a bit. ;)

Old 08-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #8

Sounds like bikers alright. Cruising, sightseeing, food, beer, fellowship, and more beer. I hope we all get to make some of these events. Thanks CaddmanQ for the description and photos.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #9

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC

Now thats what it's all about!! I'm glad y'all enjoyed yourselves. And thanks for the pictures.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 08-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Hey CQ, great pix and sounds like you all had a wonderful time together. I'm starting to wonder about your blitz getting there. 115 two up?!?!? ARE YOU NUTZ? Geez man, I thought you were safer than that.

There, that is out of my system. I promise not to yell at you again. Unless you get killed, then watch out.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 08-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #11

Very nice pictures and looks like a beautiful ride.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:35 PM   #12

Idaho, if it'll soothe your mind, I've done 135 two-up on a bike. Many times too. The Nomad is not nearly as fast, and doesn't need to be because I've slowed down a lot in my old age. So if I'm nutz, well, at least I'm a little less nutz than I used to be.

Now go and yell at Dan Lund for a while, hey? ;)

PS: Alla youse other guys? Do as I say, not as I do. In other words, I do not hold myself up as the posterchild for safety. I'm an old fart trying to recapture my mis-spent youth with a motorcycle. At least that's what people are telling me.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #13

Nice pics Cadd, Btw don't give me to much credit, it was only 285 miles each way. Working on building my first ever blog as I write this, so will have some pics up soon.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:54 PM   #14

Looks like you guys had a great time.....Lucky Dogs!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:51 PM   #15

Great pictures Cadd. Thanks for posting them. One of these days.........

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482