Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-27-2018, 12:16 PM   #1

crazy 2011 Nomad stalling....

Hey guys and gals,

On Sunday afternoon I took the bike out for half a day, rode about 75 miles total with absolutely no issues. Parked the bike for about 20 minutes and then headed out for a quick 5 minute jaunt. Made my right turn and hammered down. Bike stalled going into 4 gear and after coasting to a stop took me about 10 minutes to get restarted. No codes, no warning lights or nothing stating anything is wrong. Once restarted rode about a mile home no issues. Checked battery cables and all connections, positive cable was pretty corroded so I cleaned it up like new and bike still stalls, next I noticed when using the front brake lever the brake light barely flickers. Pulled the headlight housing off and noticed the plastic housing connector where all the wires connect was virtually unplugged. Got it plugged back and let the bike idle for about 5 minutes no issues and all lights work perfectly fine now. Will take bike for another ride tonight when I get home to see if it still stalls. In the meantime has anyone else had any stalling issues with there bikes like this? Background on the bike, 2011 Nomad 1700, exhaust, intake, Ivan’s re-flash on the computer and 16,600 trouble free miles up until now and I leave for a motorcycle trip in a week so a little nervous at the moment.

Thank you in advance for any input,

Eric

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-27-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Sounds like you found the problem. Zip tie or tape the connector together so it stays put.

Also try cleaning the throttle body intake with some carb cleaner.

Last edited by redjay; 06-27-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Remove the fuel tank and make sure the ignition wires are not chafed. Add some plastic wire wrap and zip tie them down. Voyagers and Vaqueros were recalled for this, but I don't think Nomads were, even tho they have the same wiring.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.