Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-27-2018, 07:12 PM   #1

No more hitting the dash with risers, my fix.

I realize not everyone ventures off into my thread, I like to keep all my posts in one spot to make the information easier for people to find, but I decided to make an exception and make a separate post.

I thought I would share my solution for the bars hitting the dash after installing Chuckster’s risers.

I tried several of the things other people have done and claimed worked for them; hose clamps, several different O.D. rubber hoses, a hose on a hose and a clamp on a hose, a piece of sheet metal in between a hose and a hose clamp. I tried it all and nothing else worked.

My bars aren’t tilted forward, they are back to the angle they were when stock with the dimple on the bars lined up with the gap of the left riser cap. That’s the angle that is the most comfortable for me.

I used a 9/16” shaft collar and opened up the hole to fit the steering stop post. I then shaved the sides so it would clear the lower triple tree and painted it black.

I put blue locktite on the lock stud and cinched it down.

I now have plenty of clearance when the bars are at full chock and no worries of hitting the dash as shown in the photos. Best of all, there are no compression issues like a rubber hose would give when turned to full chock and pressure is applied. This is metal to metal so it is rock hard like stock.

The only drawback is I can’t lock the steering anymore, but I couldn’t before I did this due to the bars hitting the dash. So, I guess it doesn’t really matter anyway, I just thought I would mention it.

Total cost was $1.98 and it took about 30 minutes of my time to enlarge the hole, grind the angles with my belt sander and spray paint it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-04-2019 at 12:04 AM.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #2

Thumbs Up

Necessity, the mother of invention! I've had three wraps of aluminum around the steering stop with a hose clamp for nearly 70K miles with zero issues.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #3

I just put some new bars on my Voyager and to run them far enough up for my liking it hits my windshield. So I am thinking of doing this to my machine. Was wondering what size bit did you need to use to get the inner hole to fit over the stop. Thank you the post are great

Bill
Ivanized

Old 01-03-2019, 06:39 AM   #4

Looks like I found another winter project! I put 1" risers on my voyager shortly after buying it. The bars have always hit the dash. The only time it happens is when I'm backing it up to park, but it really annoys me. I never lock mine so that's not an issue. Thanks for sharing your idea.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #5

This type of stopper is a real paint saver. I have had one similar for 2 years now on my Vaquero. I was able to raise my stock bars to a perfect height and not hit the fairing. Only reduces parking turning ( not driving turning) Backing up/ maneuvering into a parking spot, ect. Not a safety issue at all.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-03-2019, 11:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtprairie View Post
I just put some new bars on my Voyager and to run them far enough up for my liking it hits my windshield. So I am thinking of doing this to my machine. Was wondering what size bit did you need to use to get the inner hole to fit over the stop. Thank you the post are great

Bill
Thanks!

I cant remember at the moment what size it ended up being. I used a uni-bit I had and drilled it half way on each side. I have to make a few more for the people that have been asking me to do it.

Thank you for the kind words as well, Ponitail and Mbarr10

Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-04-2019 at 12:05 AM.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #7

i just want to say after the original post on the stopper I did this to mine after adding 2 sockets as risers and this works great no hitting of the dash

Old 02-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVF View Post
i just want to say after the original post on the stopper I did this to mine after adding 2 sockets as risers and this works great no hitting of the dash
Good to see you are happy! Glad I could help.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #9

For you folks that also did the shaft collar, anyone recall what size the internal hole ended up at? The reason I ask is that the neither the local Rural King or Tractor Supply had a shaft collar with a 9/16" hole. Everyone has, however, a 5/8". Can anyone think of why that wouldn't work?

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 07-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #10

Just asking. In post #6 you mention that you are making a few for people that want them. Are you still making some for other riders if so what cost. Thanks