Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #1

saddle bag handles

I have my Vaquero totally disassembled ready to go to custom paint. Having a difficult time removing saddle bag handles. Anyone have any advice?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlindecker View Post
I have my Vaquero totally disassembled ready to go to custom paint. Having a difficult time removing saddle bag handles. Anyone have any advice?
once you get inside the bag lid past the access panel pay close attention to the springs in there, there is a rt and left the whole process is pretty straight forward ( patience is the answer ) my friend

Old 12-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #3

[QUOTE=skullbagger;609001]once you get inside the bag lid past the access panel pay close attention to the springs in there, there is a rt and left the whole process is pretty straight forward ( patience is the answer ) my friend[/QUOT

Any suggestions with the straps that hold the side covers?
Looks like they're riveted

Old 12-31-2014, 12:34 AM   #4

The doors are a pain! On the first Nomad that I painted, I carefully taped everything off and it turned out ok.

On the second Nomad, I wanted the paint to be flawless (or as near to it as my ametuer abilities would allow), so taking the handles off and key tumbler out were musts.

Directly behind the handle is a small cover held with 5 or so small screws. Remove these screws and, with a small flat head screwdriver, pop that cover off. There are small tabs holding it on and while you're prying you'll see them and should be careful not to break them off.

Once that cover is off, you'll see the bar that the handle, two springs, and a few spacers all pivot on. Take a picture, so you can remember the order of everything. Remove the tension from the springs, then carefully remove the c-clip on one side and pull that pivot bar out. I was able to push it behind the large inner cover, but I have read where some had to drill a small hole to allow the bar enough space to pull all the way out.

Once the bar is out, the handle should be free. I'd immediately put everything back on the bar even while off the door, so that nothing gets lost.

Good luck!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 12-31-2014, 01:33 AM   #5

I got every thing figured out except that darn bar. Finally had to drill the hole, but it really wasn't that big a deal. After that the bar slipped right out and the hole is of no consequence once you're through with it. Good explanation, Jared.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-31-2014, 01:40 AM   #6

No problem! Glad you got it!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 01-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #7

Saddle Bag Handles

Worked perfect, I was able to pull pins out without the hole.
Going to paint next week!
Thanks!

Old 01-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlindecker View Post
Worked perfect, I was able to pull pins out without the hole.
Going to paint next week!
Thanks!
great glad you got them out it takes a lil studying seeing how it was put together when I took mine apart each doors set of springs and spacers went into a seperate bag, then scratching my head some to figure out the sequence again some what mechanically inclined helped. I remember the springs only go one way. rivets will have to be replaced with small bolts and nuts I used stainless allen head looked nice oh sorry on the straps to the door from the bag.

Tags
saddle bags