Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-15-2009, 03:40 AM   #1

D Day

After a hard week at work my wife wanted to do something on the weekend to clear her mind. A few minutes later and I had a fast ferry booking to France (Caen). We are only a short ride from the Ferry Terminal in Portsmouth, Southern England. Soon we were enjoying the fine weather and great scenery of Normandy, touring the historical sites of the D Day invasion by the allied forces, 6.6.1944, 65 years on. I often promised myself a trip of this type and this was the time. What struck us both is just how much the French people still demonstrate such gratitude to the allies for the sacrifices made. Following the coast, visiting the beaches/museums and watching the short documentary films, is a very moving experience. We met many Americans who had made the trip of a lifetime. For many, the highlight of the trip was a visit to both Omaha Beach and the American Cemetery which overlooks it. The Cemetery and memorial is more than worthy of the many who perished, not just at Omaha Beach, but all over France. A few staggering facts, 172.5 Acres, 9387 headstones, 3 recipients of the Medal of Honor, 41 sets of brothers. So much has been said about the invasion that there is little I could add, just that however much we try, we can never comprehend what those guys experienced. I know some reading this may have been lucky enough to have made the trip, but to those who have not, I hope you may at some time get the opportunity to do so. We made the trip on the Versys, not the Nomad, as you can see in the photo.
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...1600/Omaha.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6.../Cemetery1.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6.../Cemetery2.jpg

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-15-2009, 06:04 AM   #2
Advanced Member

D Day

You mention how the French still show their appreciation.

About 10 years ago, my wife, girls and I went to Europe so I could attend a reunion of the guys I had been stationed with in Berlin. We got a car and spent two weeks driving around.

One of our impromptu destinations was Bastogne. My wife's father had served in the 101st airborne and had been taken prisoner on Christmas eve (the last coordinated German push to try to overwhelm the defenders.)

The city has a memorial center to commemorate the battle. I will always remember one particular incident. They have a light board that portrays the flow of the battle. After it was over, a Belgian man (somehow I knew he was from Bastogne) was sobbing. (I can understand a little French) He was telling his group what an incredible feat the 101st (and Patton's armor) had pulled off.

At that moment, history came alive to me. This actually happened. And my father-in-law helped it to succeed.

"Nuts!"

Old 06-15-2009, 06:33 AM   #3

D Day

My wifes uncle was a tank driver in Normandy, he passed away about two years ago. A couple of times he told me about some of the battles on the beaches during the landings, it would have been terrifying getting out of those ships and running for cover under those conditions.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Advanced Member

D Day

Very moving description of your visit Phot. I hope I can visit someday. While not involved with the Normandy invasion, my father was a veteran and POW in WWII. Unfortunately, he could not remember most of what happened in those days, but my mother remembered how he looked when she saw him for the first time after he returned. Needless to say, he was badly injured in the war, but at least he made it home alive, hence my existence. It's too bad he never lived to see the long-overdue WWII memorial in Washington.

Thanks for posting.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #5

D Day

"About 10 years ago, my wife, girls and I went to Europe so I could attend a reunion of the guys I had been stationed with in Berlin. We got a car and spent two weeks driving around."

Hey I was there. McNair barracks, Charlie company 4th battalion 6th infantry, 74' to 76'.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
D Day

phot,

I was in Europe for two weeks last year with my wife. She is an AF brat and was born in Landstuhl so I took her back to where she was born. We spent a week in Germany and loved every second of it. That said the next part of our trip was to France. We first went to Epinal, France where there is an American cemetery. My Great Uncle PFC Andrew Sofilkanich is buried there and I was the first family member to make it over there to visit him and thank him for his sacrifice and service. It was an awesome experience and one every American, who can afford to, should go and see.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
Advanced Member

D Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
"About 10 years ago, my wife, girls and I went to Europe so I could attend a reunion of the guys I had been stationed with in Berlin. We got a car and spent two weeks driving around."

Hey I was there. McNair barracks, Charlie company 4th battalion 6th infantry, 74' to 76'.
Andrews Barracks. '69-72. Army Security Agency. We had some great flag football games with McNair teams.