Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #1

Electrical problem

I have been rewiring my lightbar and and a few other accessories, but didn't touch my fairing or radio wiring which is connected to the auxiliary plug in the light bucket. When I reconnected the battery, the radio came on like normal, but when I turned it off, it flashes across the screen all of, but then all the buttons and the face stay lit up. The face still says "all off", but never turns off and it has been 20 min. Any ideas what might be up?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-10-2011, 05:34 PM   #2

Electrical problem

Did the radio work (play music) when you hooked up the battery?
To help stop theft many radios require a code to be entered after they have been disconnected.
Could this be the case?

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 05-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #3

Electrical problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan
Did the radio work (play music) when you hooked up the battery?
To help stop theft many radios require a code to be entered when they have been disconnected.
Could this be the case?
Yes is does play music just fine. Not too sure if there is a code?

Old 05-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Electrical problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
I have been rewiring my lightbar and and a few other accessories, but didn't touch my fairing or radio wiring which is connected to the auxiliary plug in the light bucket. When I reconnected the battery, the radio came on like normal, but when I turned it off, it flashes across the screen all of, but then all the buttons and the face stay lit up. The face still says "all off", but never turns off and it has been 20 min. Any ideas what might be up?
What kind of stereo is this? Generally, a car stereo has 2 power inputs, 1 for storing memory and keeping time, which should be a constant power source. The other is power for the amp, displays, etc., which should be switched power.

It's possible connecting the battery may have locked up the processor in the stereo. I seem to remember my JVC stereo I had in my fairing had a reset procedure in the owner's manual.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #5

Electrical problem

If a code was needed it wouldn't have worked.

Dave Jesse
VBA #1108

2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #6

Electrical problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
What kind of stereo is this? Generally, a car stereo has 2 power inputs, 1 for storing memory and keeping time, which should be a constant power source. The other is power for the amp, displays, etc., which should be switched power.

It's possible connecting the battery may have locked up the processor in the stereo. I seem to remember my JVC stereo I had in my fairing had a reset procedure in the owner's manual.
This could be. The previous owner wire two power inputs to the auxiliary plug. It work fine before I did all the work, but it makes since that one would be connected to a constant and the other to a switched.

The brand is eclips which went out of business a few years ago, so not much info online about them and no owners manual. :(

Maybe time to pick up a new deck...

Old 05-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #7

Electrical problem

Quote:
Quote:

How would I be able to tell which is to be constant and which is to be connected to a switched?

Old 05-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #8

Electrical problem

I assume that prior to this you had to manually turn the radio off?

Dave Jesse
VBA #1108

Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #9

Electrical problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan
I assume that prior to this you had to manually turn the radio off?
Yes. I would have to manually turn off the radio.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #10

Electrical problem

The way the radio was connected it was always powered. Take the two wires that go to power and connect one to constant power and the other to switched power. The radio should stop playing when you turn the bike off. If it doesn't reverse the two power wires.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 PM   #11

Electrical problem

Quote:
Yes. I would have to manually turn off the radio.
That would be the only downside, if you think it's a downside, to them both being wired always hot.
I don't know which wire is for the clock. But if it was me, and I wanted the radio switched I would just unhook one and see if the radio worked. If it didn't then you know the unhooked wire is for the radio.
Not to scientific, but it's a 50/50 shot. I think Scott is right. It's gotten hung up somehow.
There must be some way to reset it. But I'm not familiar with the radio and have no idea how.
Sorry, I know that's not any help. :(

Dave Jesse
VBA #1108

Old 05-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #12

Electrical problem

Google the radio Jared, usually there is a downloadable manual,installation instructions, and such available.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Electrical problem

Quote:
Quote:

This could be. The previous owner wire two power inputs to the auxiliary plug. It work fine before I did all the work, but it makes since that one would be connected to a constant and the other to a switched.

The brand is eclips which went out of business a few years ago, so not much info online about them and no owners manual. :(

What model Eclipse? I have an Eclipse deck in my Bronco. I'll see if I can find the manual.

>> Found the manual. Mine is a model CD1000. There is no reset procedure listed in the manual.

If it were me, I'd disconnect BOTH power wires, wait maybe 10 seconds, and reconnect them. Ideally, the constant wire should be connected first, then the switched wire, but it sounds like the previous owner did a half-baked job wiring it up.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Electrical problem

Quote:
Quote:

How would I be able to tell which is to be constant and which is to be connected to a switched?
Generally, the constant power is yellow or orange.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 05-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #15

Electrical problem

Quote:
Quote:

What model Eclipse? I have an Eclipse deck in my Bronco. I'll see if I can find the manual.

>> Found the manual. Mine is a model CD1000. There is no reset procedure listed in the manual.

If it were me, I'd disconnect BOTH power wires, wait maybe 10 seconds, and reconnect them. Ideally, the constant wire should be connected first, then the switched wire, but it sounds like the previous owner did a half-baked job wiring it up.
You've got that right! The light bar and radio were very poorly wired. I disconnected the wires, one at a time, with the bike on, and the radio turns off if both are not connected. The model is eclipse cd2000.

Another question, while were talking electrical. I have wired in a relay exactly as shown on gadgets, but for some reason, the accessories are not working. When I by pass the relay, they work fine. I thought that it could have been the relay it self, but I tested another one and it too didn't work. Any ideas?