Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #1

I need some electrical HELP!!

I had the Nomad out for a few hours yesterday (99 carb model) and when I returned home I parked in the driveway. I went to start it to put it in the garage about 30 minutes later and when I turned the key and hit the start button I heard a small pop. At that point I had NO power (no lights, horn, anyway). I took the seat off to see if mabe a battery cable and come loose or something. When I took the positive side of the terminal loose and put it back on my lights came on. When I tried to start it again, POP, and no power. After a few attempts at doing this it finally started up. Could it be the battery? Short in the cable? I'm in NO WAY an electrical guy. Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Just glad this didn't happen while I was stopped at several different times on the ride.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #2

Check the ignition harness at the neck of the steering. It makes a bend on the left side and when the handlebars are turned full left it may be mashing the wires. I had a problem in that area a few years ago. I had to strip the insulation and repair a wire that was shorted out. Also take the right side cover off and pull the coolant tank. There is a relay (I guess that is what it's called) that has a red plug on it. A 30 amp fuse is under that plug. See if it's corroded with the green corrosion. Had that on mine and it caused all kinds of intermittent problems. (it would die while driving, wouldn't start sometimes then it would run normal. never knew when it would act up.) The white wire in that plug feeds the ignition switch.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 04-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #3

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying you found the positive side cable loose, or loosened it and re tightened?
The pop could be a short, but that should have blown a fuse. As the bike restarted and the lights came back on, it sounds more like a poor connection causing the noise as it arced. Probably at the battery as after playing with it it started. As a first step remove first the negative and then the positive cables and clean the battery terminals and cables with sand paper or file. Reinstall in the reverse order, positive first, negative last.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 04-11-2011, 07:54 AM   #4

Did you check both ends of each cable, make sure they are tight. Does the "pop" sound come from the fuse block or ignition switch? You might check the switch for worn contacts, dirt, corrsion. I would think if your harness had a short that one of your fuses should have blown. So if no fuses are blown I'd be looking a components. Starter connections tight?

Old 04-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #5

It sounds like it could be a simple as loose battery connections. If they are good it could be another loose connection somewhere, try to pinpoint the sound of the pop, it should get you close to the problem.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Follow the + cable to the next place it goes, which is the starter relay, remove it there and clean it again. You will see the other side headed to the start motor, remove that end and clean it too. Then if this occurs again pull the starter relay and inspect it very well. Looks for arcing burns, off color wire and cable insulation, any signs of heat.

I almost am willing to bet money that the start relay is munged up, or damaged from heat.

Crud and mung cause high resistance, and the heat from that can do damage.

Any arcing will cause a burn and shield good electrical contact with a carbon mung.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-16-2011, 07:47 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. Turns out it was just some dirty connections. Cleaned everything up and doesn't seem to want to do it. Thanks again.