Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #16

Looks really good.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2014, 09:34 PM   #17
Advanced Member

Sure looks clean in that pic - how'd she do with the baggie test, feel nice and smooth now? Was it worth the effort?

Old 08-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPB View Post
I received the different products today and finished my bike. Unfortunately being not much of a computer guy I can't figure out how to post the link to the photobucket album. I tried to attach some thumbnails but could only manage to get one one.

The pic was taken with my iPad. I might take some higher resolution ones tomorrow with my Olympus camera.
All that effort with the clay and the warning sticker is still there?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
All that effort with the clay and the warning sticker is still there?
exactly what I was thinking.now go out and get some bugs on that nice paint.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 08-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-man View Post
Sure looks clean in that pic - how'd she do with the baggie test, feel nice and smooth now? Was it worth the effort?
Passed the baggie test. Smooth....it really made the metal flake in the paint pop. I put Iron X on it first. It goes on clear and turns red/pink when it comes in contact with ferrous material embedded in the paint. It was real hard to see the reaction on the red paint but there was some. I didn't use clay this time. Ray at Autopia recommended Nanoskin Autoscrub Towel (Medium Grade). It has clay like material built into it. It worked great. Nicer to work with since you don't have keep kneading it. Easier to store also, just rinse it out and dry it. It's suppose to be good for 40 bikes. If you decide to use it be sure to keep it well lubricated as it states on the box. I had a small area about 2" square left to do on the tank and I could feel the towel wasn't gliding quite as smooth but thought it'll be ok for that tiny area. It wasn't. I moved the towel and it felt like it hit a snag. When I picked it up there was a nice 3" streak from the polymer pads. It took 15 minutes to get that streak out.

I'm very pleased with the results. I believe it would look better had I used a buffer and some high quality wax. If anyone decides to do their bike and want to talk to a knowledgeable person about the various products contact Ray at Autopia.

As for the warning stickers......what can I say. I've always left them on my bikes. No reason; just some basic mental defect in this geezers mind I guess.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #21
Advanced Member

Thanks for the more detailed description John, especially about the towels. It sounded like a good idea when you first mentioned it and glad to hear you tried one. When you say "lubricated" is that with water or is there some special solution you have to buy separately? I just did a quick Google for autotopia and there's lots out there, is this the web site you're referring to? www.autopia-carcare.com

Old 08-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by id-man View Post
Thanks for the more detailed description John, especially about the towels. It sounded like a good idea when you first mentioned it and glad to hear you tried one. When you say "lubricated" is that with water or is there some special solution you have to buy separately? I just did a quick Google for autotopia and there's lots out there, is this the web site you're referring to? www.autopia-carcare.com
The instructions for the towel says that water isn't a sufficient enough lubricant and recommend a specific one. I used the one they recommended and am pleased with the results. Having used the clay and the towel, I found e towel makes the job easier and faster. The best thing is that if you drop it you just rinse it out and go back to the job. If you drop the clay you have to throw it away.

That is the correct web site. I'm sure the products are available elsewhere but I found working with Autopia helpful. As you saw when you pulled the web site, the products aren't cheap. Too bad you're not closer. You could use the ones I got. It's enough, supposedly, for 40 bikes and I won't be doing that often. I'm going to email Ray and ask him if he can give VBA members a discount. I'll let you know what he says. I have some more pics I could post but haven't been able to figure out how to post more than one thumbnail at a time. I can post a picture of the towel if you'd find that helpful.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #23

Received an email from Ray at Autopia Car Care. He said if you use the coupon code FB15AUTO you'll get 15% on MOST ITEMS.. He said it's best to call him on his direct line at 1-877-855-3125. He'll be able to help with the shipping prices also then.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #24

Going to have to give this a try. Thanks for the info and will try the discount code.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:48 AM   #25
Advanced Member

Nice bonus! 15% is pretty generous. Thanks for setting that up.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #26

Received my clay bar, nano scrub towel and other stuff. Tried it on my car trunk and man was I impressed. Have not done the bike it is only a few weeks old. The ultra fine clay bar is good for regular use. Good stuff.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:03 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemzilla View Post
Received my clay bar, nano scrub towel and other stuff. Tried it on my car trunk and man was I impressed. Have not done the bike it is only a few weeks old. The ultra fine clay bar is good for regular use. Good stuff.
Did you contact Ray when ordering? Just curious how much you saved on shipping if you did.

It does do a good job on prepping the paint for the polish which really bring out the gloss.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #28

I did not but used the code for discount. Discount and shipping about the same so it was a wash. Actually ordered a few other things for bike and car. Haha

Old 06-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #29

the clay works ! I use mothers on my car & nomad just wash it good & with clean soapy water use the clay as per directions
I caught on to this at the at the infinity dealer I retired from to see the diff. it makes find a car/bike and rub the back of your hand [dry] over it then do the same with one that has been washed & waxed only the one clayed will be really smooth and slick

also it will help get rid of bugs that have become part of the paint

Old 06-17-2015, 12:24 AM   #30

I have clayed my truck's windshield for years. You can not believe the difference it makes. I just don't have the patience to do the rest of it.