Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #16

Buy a tank bib, never had a problem since I installed it and the extra pocket on the bib is very handy.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Top Contributor

On my Voyager the rattle I had was the chrome ring around the ignition switch. If you press on it you will probaly find that it moves. The noise happens at certain rpms and bumps in the road.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:14 AM   #18

My 2009 Voyager developed a rattle turned out to be my gauges on the right side. When you here the rattle push your finger on each gauge and see if it goes away

Last edited by 1st One; 06-12-2012 at 05:16 AM.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #19

I'm having the same problem on my 2011 Vaquero. Around 3000 rpm, the vibration makes a wicked creeking noise from the front fairing. Can't isolate where it is coming from. I noticed it when I went to a 16" windscreen. All the bolts are tight, but still get that noise. Will try the aforementioned suggestions.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #20

EmaGia... i would first look at the trim ring aruond the ignition, mine was making the same creeking and I couldn't figure it out but the Awesome dealer here in Arizona figured it out. it continues to come loose now and them but just push down on it and it is fine...

2012 Voyager / Gone
2006 Vulcan Classic Anniversary Edition / Gone

VBA #02052
VROC #34932

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #21

It turns out the noise was coming from the plastic tank-bib, at he front of the tank. It was vibrating of the tank. Got some heavy duty double sided tape and some thin rubber and mounted it under the plastic, on the tank. Did the trick. Thanks for the suggestions folks!

Old 07-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmaGia View Post
It turns out the noise was coming from the plastic tank-bib, at he front of the tank. It was vibrating of the tank. Got some heavy duty double sided tape and some thin rubber and mounted it under the plastic, on the tank. Did the trick. Thanks for the suggestions folks!
Now all Kawasaki has to do is take note, and put some trim around the edge. Of course we know that will not happen.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 07-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #23

Well folks I had rattle up front its some gauges vibrating, what I did was take two fingers and push on speed O & temp gauge. Noise quite so to fix I took a several plastic coffee stir sticks & cut them into three equal pieces and pushed two pieces around the out side of chrome gauge I have done this on all four gauges and no more rattling.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #24

Plastic tank bib issue

I had the same rattle with the plastic tank bib where it dives down the front of the tank. My solution was to cut two short pieces of vacuum hose then slit them lengthwise and slide that between the plastic and the tank on both sides. That worked like a charm and has stayed in place. It may not look as nice as the sticky foam you guys used. Anybody have any pictures?

Old 08-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #25

Mine is an 09 Voyager and over the years I've had a number of rattles and found a cure for all.

As others have said the tank bid or tape fixes the chrome tank cover rattle. As for the chrome strip on the windshield took the shield off and replaced it tightened the bolts to my tension, no more rattle. Rattle from the dash or somewhere like that took the fairing outer off tightened every screw I could find, even on the back of the instrument cluster (and there were quite a few I got 3/4 or more of a turn on) placed a bit of soft foam on the connecting lugs at the centre of the top dashboard piece ( the one that joins into the base of the windscreen).

While the fairing outer was off I noticed a large multi pin female connector that appeared to be floating loose so I taped it down. I also noticed that the flat chrome plate behind the headlight mounting rattled when I tapped it so I replaced the plastic push stud mounts, no more rattles.

So I guess the moral of my story is there are plenty of things that will rattle on the front of the Voyager and the only way to cure them is trial and error. Besides pulling the front end apart is a good way to learn how easy it is to work on.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #26

I think I have the same irritating rattle noise on my 2010 Voyager. Only does it while the bike is in motion. Cant hear the noise while stationary and revving the engine. Took a look at the plastic tank bib, it does vibrate quite a bit even when stationary, but no rattle.

I already took it to the dealership, they had it fro 3 days ,said they couldn't hear it!
I don't know what else to do!!!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #27

The plastic trim ring around the ignition was the source of alot of creaking and rattle, pop the ring off and used a thick rubber band as a gasket , condition corrected.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #28
Top Contributor

I had that problem (rattling tank cowling) on my 2012 Voyager....seems a really common problem. A nice tank bib will cure it and add some bling....a good two-fer....!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 05-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #29

I took some small vacuum line and slit it too but I went along the whole thing to fill the gap on top of the tank also. Looks pretty good and you can't tell it doesn't belong there.
Utopia rider backrest
KQR backrest and luggage rack
Kruzer Kaddy
Garmin gps with mounted case
13" Cee Baileys dark tinted windshield
Passenger floorboards
Kury tombstone bag
TLC bag liners--STILL WAITING????

Old 06-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #30

I just turn the music up louder, whats that? I don't hear any rattle :) ...... seriously though the rattle on my 11 Voyager is from the right side cubby, just needed to tweak the latch a little bit