Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-16-2009, 10:24 PM   #1

** Customer Service **

This is example of excellent customer service from the manufacturer. Do you think Ma Kawi is capable of providing this type of service other than the standard reply, "it is normal?"

We don't usually like to re-post recall notices here at MD, as they affect every manufacturer and don't necessarily reflect on the quality of their products, but some are remarkable and important enough to comment upon. For instance, in a recall that is expected to begin on or about December 14, 2009, Harley-Davidson announced it was recalling approximately 111,569 of its 2009 and 2010 Touring models, including CVO Touring and Trike models. According to the report, the front fuel tank mounts may distort in a crash, causing the tank to leak and possibly catch fire or explode. H-D dealers will install braces to the mounts to keep that from happening.

Given H-D's current financial woes, it's nice to see the MoCo taking care of its customers. Of course, you could say it's DOT that's making them do it, or perhaps the lawyers, but considering the expense of retro-fitting 111,000 motorcycles to prevent what is an unusual occurrence, this seems like a case of above and beyond. If you believe you may have an affected model, call you local H-D dealer (have your VIN handy) or call Harley's hotline: 414/343-4056.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #2
Advanced Member

** Customer Service **

Kawasaki has actually done the same thing, early 1600s had fuel tanks recalled and replaced, some 2004 1500s were recalled due to an oil filter problem.

Garry

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #3

** Customer Service **

I guess I just don't understand this recall. the front fuel tank mounts may "distort in a crash causing the tank to leak"?? Well no sh*t. The whole damn bike may distort in a crash. I just don't understand the point of a recall to fix something common sense like that. Of course the tank could leak in a crash, Is that even avoidable? That is like recalling a drinking glass because it might leak if you tip it over.

Great customer service to be sure and good on them for taking the initiative but seems unnecessary to me.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #4

** Customer Service **

I thought the same thing and told the dealer the same... but they told me that HD wants to fix it anyway just to avoid any future problems ahead.

What I am thinking is... that this situation is a bit more precarious than I am being told or imagine... otherwise they wouldn't be doing the recall for over 100,000 bikes. I don't believe any company is going to incur a cost like that without a good reason -- unless the "fix" is a very simple issue.

So; I'll be there hanging-out when they replace the mounts on mine so I can see what it exactly is. I can watch through a glass wall at the dealer while my bike is being worked on -- which is where I'll be during the whole process.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 12-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Advanced Member

** Customer Service **

Better bring a bottle of Windex and a roll of paper towels, Greg. You gonna be lookin' in da window a WHOLE bunch!!!! Maybe an easy chair, too!!!

Sorry- I can only keep my mouth shut so long! lol

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #6

** Customer Service **

Quote:
Originally Posted by billz410
Better bring a bottle of Windex and a roll of paper towels, Greg. You gonna be lookin' in da window a WHOLE bunch!!!! Maybe an easy chair, too!!!

You better hope you never get an HD and have me hear about it Bill!!! ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 12-22-2009, 07:38 AM   #7
Advanced Member

** Customer Service **

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by billz410

You better hope you never get an HD and have me hear about it Bill!!! ;)
I know it Greg! All kidding aside, they make an impressive variety of beautifully styled bikes. The hands-down winner in nostalgic and retro-styled bikes of a by-gone era. (That's supposed to be a compliment... )

Old 12-22-2009, 09:24 AM   #8

** Customer Service **

Greg I would bet it has more to do with the economy. I would bet they are doing this because alot of people are shying away from their bikes right now because of finances and they figure doing this simple fix (swapping a tank is simple) that they keep their image for customer service and come out looking like heros.

Great idea in my opinion. I wish MaKaw would do something like this for the front end wabble that nearly everyone reports.

Ya know the more I talk to you Greg the faster I am going to end up drinking the kool-aid. :)

Old 12-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
Mega-Contributor

** Customer Service **

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Greg I would bet it has more to do with the economy. I would bet they are doing this because alot of people are shying away from their bikes right now because of finances and they figure doing this simple fix (swapping a tank is simple) that they keep their image for customer service and come out looking like heros.

Great idea in my opinion. I wish MaKaw would do something like this for the front end wabble that nearly everyone reports.

Ya know the more I talk to you Greg the faster I am going to end up drinking the kool-aid. :)
Oh yeah, Paul - the allure is hard to resist. I am going to give the Victory Cross Country a good look-see next year, I think that might be a viable option now.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #10

** Customer Service **

not sure I like the fairing yet but I haven't seen it up close either. I do very much like Victory's powertrain. Its a big powerful and yet smooth system. Ask Kioti he has a vision now.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
** Customer Service **

I ride with a bunch of Victory and Harley guys now and those are sure nice bikes! Of course they remind me of their 50+mpgs at every fill up..... :(" title="" border="0"/>

Of course if I get a Triumph T-Bird I'm reading reports of easily over 240miles before the fuel light comes on! 5.8 gallon tank...

I bet before the national rally in 2011 there will be many a bike exchangin' among us...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #12

** Customer Service **

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
I ride with a bunch of Victory and Harley guys now and those are sure nice bikes! Of course they remind me of their 50+mpgs at every fill up..... :(" title="" border="0"/>

Of course if I get a Triumph T-Bird I'm reading reports of easily over 240miles before the fuel light comes on! 5.8 gallon tank...

I bet before the national rally in 2011 there will be many a bike exchangin' among us...
Yep, I agree. Probably a good cross section of nice Bikes owned by knowledgeable, experienced well rounded open minded Rider's!

Old 12-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #13

** Customer Service **

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP

Here OP... let me pour you some. Any particular flavor you'd like? ;)

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 12-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #14

** Customer Service **

Keep pourin GL. I got a year or two on my nomad before I get a full tour.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:51 AM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
** Customer Service **

As long as your pourin' Greg, any flavor but HD !!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005