Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #1

'Live' cigarette lighter port?

Has anyone rewired their cigarette lighter port so that it is always 'hot' (even if the ignition is turned off)? I'm thinking about a situation of charging a cell phone locked in the fairing glove box above it while away from the bike. Don't think that setup would drain the battery as long as nothing is plugged into it, right? Appreciate any feedback.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #2

I have a Victory with an always hot plug in the trunk it came that way. I always keep my phone plugged in sometimes 2 phones.
No problem whatsoever

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #3

On my Voyager I ran an SAE battery type line into my tour pack and have multiple ends that I can plug in for charging and other uses. It is direct wired into the battery so it is always hot. I have never had any issues with this set up on this bike or others in the past.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 08-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
Advanced Member

If nothing is left plugged in you won't have a problem. However, if you forget something it will kill the battery. Better solution is to make it idiot proof and wire a relay to a switch so you can make it hot when you want

I have a volt meter and realized it was really low when driving. I have another bike with a hot plug and left a GPS plugged in (but off) and almost didn't make it home when I realized my battery was almost dead and electrical couldn't keep up.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
If nothing is left plugged in you won't have a problem. However, if you forget something it will kill the battery. Better solution is to make it idiot proof and wire a relay to a switch so you can make it hot when you want

I have a volt meter and realized it was really low when driving. I have another bike with a hot plug and left a GPS plugged in (but off) and almost didn't make it home when I realized my battery was almost dead and electrical couldn't keep up.
Yes, that can be a concern if something is left on for an extended time. I do carry a Deltran portable battery pack that works great.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/e...ble+power+pack

I bought it at Home Depot for $75.00 a year ago but they don't carry them anymore.

Update 08/25/2016: I was at Home Depot and they have these back on the shelf and they are still $75.00.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by JD Hog; 08-26-2016 at 10:55 AM.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #6

I put a duel 3 amp USB charger in my trunk earlier this year, and since it glows blue when it has power to it, I wired it up to switched power.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 08-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #7

When I installed the lighter in my fairing I wired it direct to the battery so it would always be live.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #8

I would isolate it from the rest of the aux power system and make sure it is fused close to the battery. Isolating it leaves the rest of the aux power connectors switched, which could be useful. Fusing it is a must for safety of the bike's electrical and your phone.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:23 PM   #9

I hook a jumper cable (has a cigarette lighter adapter on the other end) to the Battery Tender connection and run it into the hard bag. I charge my phone and iPad using that. Never had any problems.