Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #1

(OEM/Factory) GPS mount?

Looking for some input on a 2012 Voyager 1700 gps mount. I have a Garmin Zumo 660LM in a Touratech locking mount. It's combined with the 4 bolt ball plate, short arm and a 1" ball mounted to one of the riser clamp bolts.

My issue is excessive vibration. Comparable to a paint shaker action! Somewhat better at cruise, but not acceptable. I used a Nuvi in the same configuration for nearly 11K miles with no vibration issues.

I'm assume the additional mass of the Zumo and Touratech are the issue. I have tried most adjustments the ball mount will allow with limited success..

Is there a remedy to reduce vibration? Has anyone used the OEM mount with success? Also-will the Touratech locking mount fit the Kawasaki OEM/Billet mount without an adapter or modification?

I hope someone has first hand experience as I'm not into making anymore $300 mistakes-aka billet mount.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #2

Mine vibrates as well, you have the same setup as I do, did you get the anti vibration touratech mount? I found it was a little better, there is really no way you can get around the vibration issue as that is the characteristic of the v-twin motor. Mine is handlebar mounted by the way using the c-clamp and mount
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Last edited by smokey; 10-06-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #3

660LM Mount

Yes-I have the anti vibration mount. You are correct that the v-twin is the root cause. A tail wind when you are just coasting along is ideal.

I think it has something to do with the additional weight, as my car GPS didn't do it. Although that was in a lightweight plastic Ram cradle and actually a longer arm. Same ball on riser.

I am wondering, if the factory mount being lower and more rigid would help. The whole assembly shakes now. (GPS, mount and arm)

I cannot believe that the Zumo can take that kind of vibration-especially when accelerating. Any more thoughts or experience with the OEM style?

Old 10-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #4

Anti vibration bar ends should help.
They stopped the mirrors from vibrating on my Victory.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 10-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #5

Well all I can say is that my old 550 zumo and now my new 660 seem to hold up very well. I use the long mount from the handlebar to the touratech in order for me to see the instruments on my voyager, I have ridden highway, bumpy roads and both units showed no problems, the 550 got sold and I used the 660 on a couple of long trips, held up very well. I also tighten the touratech down pretty good on the ball mount, perhaps you should check the tightness of the mounting hardware to ensure everything is snug. I also have the Kuryakin heavy bar ends on the transformer grips.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2014, 02:21 PM   #6

Crisis adverted

After filling my pockets with all my Ram fittings and getting a few from a buddy, I have a solution. Actually a longer arm installed parallel to the ground was the answer. About an 8 out of 10 now. Rough roads with wide tar strips make it shake but not to unreadable as before. Hard acceleration does not bother much, like before. Not perfect for sunlight glare though.

I still would like info on the OEM Billet mount option. Vibration? Touratech compatibility? Etc.

Thanks Smokey.