Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #1

Dobeck Settings.

I have owned three 1600 Nomads and every single one has different characteristics. My most recent one is getting awesome mpg. Better then I ever got out of the other two, with the exact same performance modifications. I've used a Cobra FI2000, PC3 previously and now I am using the Dobeck TFI. I'm not hearing any pinging, but I'm wondering if my pipes are drowning out any pinging that may be happening.

The only major difference with this bike is the fairing and I am getting 40-45 mpg on a regular bases. On my last two Nomads getting over 40 mpgs happened on occasion but not regularly.

I have it set according to the recommended setting of:3-3-1.5-9

I enjoy the MPGs and don't hear any pinging, but don't want to cause any damage to the bike. Any recommendations? Should I be concerned?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #2

Dobeck Settings.

Also, maybe I should mention that my last two Nomads were California models and this one is not.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Dobeck Settings.

There you go... CA can mess anything up. Sounds like it's tuned pretty good. I'd just ride it and enjoy.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Dobeck Settings.

Jared, California models all ping. We only have 91 for premium here too. I've been experimenting with my TFI since I got it.

Lately I tried something radical and adjusted the first pot to 4 and set the second to 3 on the theory that if I can keep the motor running cool enough with the first pot the second pot shouldn't need much. I now can run regular to midgrade without pinging since the 4 o'clock setting has the engine running much cooler and riding double I'm getting 40 mpgs...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #5

Dobeck Settings.

You got lucky, I very seldom get 40 MPG
34 to 38 most of the time.

I like your new signature pics.............
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-03-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Dobeck Settings.

Jared your real close to my numbers settings and i get a consistant 42/44 with a car tire on back. Before that on bricks i was at 44/to as high as 48 .

I loose a little with crash bar covers OFF, so that fairing may be helping. Seems strange to me too. But somehow the crash bar covers Desert Dawgs in my case, streamline a nomad more.

At least I think so....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Dobeck Settings.

My mpg sux. I only get about 32-34. I keep playing with the tfi, but so far not improving and pinging like crazy now that it always over 100 this summer. I'll keep adjusting.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Dobeck Settings.

I have my bike stock, no desire to change the pipes or rip out the goat belly or anything, like it quiet. But I don't like the pinging, even though I use 93 octane. Also with driving around Pittsburgh, usually average 32mpg. Best mileage I ever got was pulling my trailer down and back to the Rally this summer.

Question I have, does anyone use these Dobecks or Commanders when they keep their bike stock? Would it help mpg and pinging? Is it even worth it to go that route if you keep your bike stock?

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 08-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Dobeck Settings.

ccmjr77 You got any led lights working on the TFI?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #10

Dobeck Settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Lately I tried something radical and adjusted the first pot to 4 and set the second to 3 on the theory
Wouldn't that be a Hypothesis instead of a Theory?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #11

Dobeck Settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Durham
I have my bike stock, no desire to change the pipes or rip out the goat belly or anything, like it quiet. But I don't like the pinging, even though I use 93 octane. Also with driving around Pittsburgh, usually average 32mpg. Best mileage I ever got was pulling my trailer down and back to the Rally this summer.

Question I have, does anyone use these Dobecks or Commanders when they keep their bike stock? Would it help mpg and pinging? Is it even worth it to go that route if you keep your bike stock?
When my bike 08 Nomad was stock I ran the Cobra Fi2000 it eliminated most of the pinging but not all of it when it was really hot.

Then I installed Chuckster's dual plate intake with stock exhaust, the Cobra still had pining so I sold it and replaced it with Dobeck's GEN 3 fuel controller and it has eliminated ALL the pinging. With this set up the engine really cam to life lots more power. :)
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Dobeck Settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob
Quote:

When my bike 08 Nomad was stock I ran the Cobra Fi2000 it eliminated most of the pinging but not all of it when it was really hot.

Then I installed Chuckster's dual plate intake with stock exhaust, the Cobra still had pining so I sold it and replaced it with Dobeck's GEN 3 fuel controller and it has eliminated ALL the pinging. With this set up the engine really cam to life lots more power. :)
Thanks Bob. You still running Chuckster's dual plate with the Dobeck? Did you notice your mpg go up around town driving?

VBA #1608
KZR #25622

Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Dobeck Settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Lately I tried something radical and adjusted the first pot to 4 and set the second to 3 on the theory
Wouldn't that be a Hypothesis instead of a Theory?
A theory has been extensively tested and is generally accepted, while a hypothesis is a speculative guess that has yet to be tested.

Cooler running motors ping less = Theory. More fuel means less engine heat = Theory. ::) ;)

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #14

Dobeck Settings.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by recumbentbob

Thanks Bob. You still running Chuckster's dual plate with the Dobeck? Did you notice your mpg go up around town driving?
It went up just a tad around town. Back & forth to work I got 40 MPG on 2 tanks in a row then like an idiot I adjusted it and it went down to 36 so will fine tune it again.
No pinging now and it does run cooler. That was my goal.
VBA #01084

"

Old 08-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Dobeck Settings.

Still running Chucksters on it?

VBA #1608
KZR #25622