Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthCentral Group

Old 03-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #1

Guess I need to talk about this

A friend and I where out Tuesday on a little road trip in his truck. We cut back through the country to just ride some different roads. Coming up the blacktop back to the highway we looked up and could see some cars and a school bus stopped and people in the road. When we pulled up we could see someone lying in the road. We pulled over and since both of us has had first aid and CPR training we went to see if we could be of assistance. The first thing we noticed was a mule running down the side of the road towards us. When we got to the person lying on the ground another man was already checking him doing the ABC's. The person on the ground was unresponsive and the man who we found out later was an EMT from Iowa and had stopped to see what had happened, was trying to find a pulse and also doing a breast bone rub. Gary, my friend and I brought blankets from his truck and questioned the other people standing around to make sure that 911 had been call and help was on the way. When we started tending to the gentleman trying to cover him we could see that his face had already turn blue and the EMT said he had no pulse and was not breathing. Gary and I stayed until the ambulance arrived and double checked for vitals.

We found out that the man was lying in the road when the car and school bus turned off of the highway. So no one knew for sure how long he was actually there. The man had open heart surgery not very long ago. He was riding his mule and either had a heart attack and fell off of the mule or for some reason the mule bucked him off and he died from his injuries. No matter what it was a very bad thing. The Sherriff's deputy arrived and since we had not witnessed the incident we where allowed to leave.

The thing that has bothered me was that when Gary and I ran up there with the blankets, people was talking to the man like he was alive. Telling him to lie quiet help was on the way. Don't move until help arrives, etc. This made me believe the man was alive maybe when we stopped. The reason that Gary nor I checked the man was the fact that an EMT was on the scene and a lady I knew was a nurse was also standing there. I tell myself that most likely there was nothing that we could have done but I think that everyone stood around and maybe let this man die. I know that we arrived late on the scene and from the appearance of the gentleman he was already gone when we arrive. But I just keep thinking we should have done more.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #2

Don't beat yourself up Jim. You did all that you could do.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 03-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #3

I agree don't beat yourself up. It sounds to me like you did more then most would.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #4

You saw that people were already doing what they could and had to trust they were competent.

This mans life had already been extended with the heart surgery and he was enjoying a pleasant ride thru the country on his mule. What a way to go.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 03-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #5

SOmeone certified in first aid/CPR should provide CPR (if required) untill they are too tired to continue or replace by someone with higher training. In your case there was an EMT and a nurse.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #6

Jim as well as I know you I know you did everything you could so just accept that and let it go. If something every happens to me where I need help I pray that someone that cares as much as you do is around. Your friend Jim

Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for the support. I guess I just needed to get it off of my chest as I have been feeling better since I made the post. Sometimes you just need to get it out in the open. As I re-read the post and thought back over the incident I realized that there was nothing else I could have done. The people careing for the gentleman was way more qualified than I was and there was nothing I could have done after I got there to change the events that happened. I have just always been one to look at things and ask: What if!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #8
VBA Founder

Don't worry about what you can't change, Jim. You did all you could.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 03-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #9

I have went through the situation before too, Jim. But I was one of the first on the scene. A few years ago, I had a horrible one car accident that ended up in my front yard. The car had lost control, launched through the air off of my driveway, and ended up about 80 ft from the road (20 from the front of my house). The old man driving was ejected and I tried to revive him, with help from other bystanders. We worked on him until the paramedics took over, but they too were unable to revive him. I found out later from the state trooper that they pronounced him on the way to the hospital.

It took some time to get over it. I had the images in my head for several nights. But it did help to talk about it and get it out in the open. I'm sorry that you had to come up on this unfortunate incident. You did all that was possible and there was nothing else that could be done. Take care and good luck.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday