Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Old 03-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #1

Algona?

Ok, some potentially good/bad news for me. My wife might be prego. Our son just turned 1 in Jan. Not ready for number 3. National Rally may be out for us due to finances with a baby. I have a group of friends going to Algona this year since the fourth of july is a saturday. Thinking about going that way instead of Custer. Its alot closer and is way cheaper for us since it is all included for the weekend.
Any members go there? I have never been but heard it is fun. Anything to watch out for?
This is still a big maybe and we are going to try like hell to make Custer work. Might only be out for a couple of days for the rally rather than the week we had planned but I am keeping all options open at this point.

Damn I ain't ready for another baby.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #2

Algona?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Ok, some potentially good/bad news for me. My wife might be prego. Our son just turned 1 in Jan. Not ready for number 3. National Rally may be out for us due to finances with a baby. I have a group of friends going to Algona this year since the fourth of july is a saturday. Thinking about going that way instead of Custer. Its alot closer and is way cheaper for us since it is all included for the weekend.
Any members go there? I have never been but heard it is fun. Anything to watch out for?
This is still a big maybe and we are going to try like hell to make Custer work. Might only be out for a couple of days for the rally rather than the week we had planned but I am keeping all options open at this point.

Damn I ain't ready for another baby.
OP; you know what causes that don't you?????!!!!! ???

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 03-02-2009, 08:07 AM   #3

Algona?

as my old boss used to say:

It ain't just for peein.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #4

Algona?

Hey OP, when the weather gets warm maybe we could meet half way for a cup of coffee. About Sioux City.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #5

Algona?

Hey guys... what Algona are you talking about? I "googled" it and only came up with two locations... one in Iowa; the other in Washington.

I assume Iowa.

If it is Iowa... OP... you then need to keep your pants on... there is nothing there; trust me.

If you need to take a ride; then come all the way to the Mississippi; otherwise; go to Custer.

Sorry to come across so strong; but what the h@ll is going on? You appeared to want to go to Custer so badly. I am surprised you may not be showing up!!!

(How was that for a bit of a guilt-trip OP? Not bad... Huh? Just "jabbing" you!!)

Hope you can figure out how to make OP... you have got to be a riot to meet!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #6

Algona?

I actually decided today that unless my wife puts up a big fight we are still going to Custer. I already have the money saved and the hotels booked for the week. Have sitter lined up for the kids for a week and everything is ready. Have a trailer lined up to haul the bike out. Have the plan for my sheepskin covers for the seat. Have put the trunk on hold just because my apholsterer is going to prison so I will wait and try it myself. Will be more enjoyable if I can do it solo.

CUSTER OR BUST!

I found more info on the Algona Rally and it sounds like it is just a drunken nude fest and since I am married and can't drink I would rather hang out with you guys.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #7

Algona?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreak031
Hey OP, when the weather gets warm maybe we could meet half way for a cup of coffee. About Sioux City.
Where are you in Nebraska? Sioux City is only about an hour straight south of me on I29.

I know one of the managers at the Outback Steakhouse pretty well there.
Might be fun some time to just do it anyway.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Algona?

Re Algona: 1%ers? My wife and I had 3 kids in 2 years, 4 months and 5 total. Now that the oldest is 13, things get easier. It does get better.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 03-06-2009, 01:37 AM   #9

Algona?

I'm in Lincoln, about two and half hours from Sioux City.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #10

Algona?

Algona. Iowa! I knew I had to check in on you guys once in awhile. Algona, the land of my forefathers.

Grew up just to the north of there. Would have to agree with the comment about not much there, maybe other than Ambrose Call State Park on the south side of town that has more trees and topography than anywhere else within several counties.

The rally there is probably an ABATE gig, nothing like that when I was in the area, although I did stumble cross the rally a couple years ago on the 4th, looked pretty small time, am surprised that it comes up here.

Maybe the best part of rally there, ride wise, would that it is located about half way between two interesting destinations east/west and with a few good options north/south. About 60 miles east is Clear Lake, a resort area in its own right and the Surf Ballroom of Buddy Holly fame, and of course the crash site. About same distance to the west are the Iowa Great Lakes (okay, contain yourself) but it is regionally very well known hot spot for good times. Then to the north you slip into Minnesota where things do start to get interesting.

To the south, you slip into more traditional Iowa with some great folks and food, but flat straight roads (same for any direction out of Algona) but might suggest Boone and the nearby Ledges Park area for some geologic diversity.

Oh yeah, very near Algona is what considers itself as the world famous Grotto of the Redemption, a rather extensive man-made maze of caves and alcoves from exotic rocks and the like, probably worth the 30 minute ride and hour or so it takes to see it.

Not sure about the drunken nude thing, suppose there would be some of the but its not the Algona I remember, at least the nude part, except for the gravel pits but that is a different story.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #11

Algona?

:) It ia an ABATE of Iowa Rally. Grown to be rather large. They bought an 80 acre site(I think) not to far from town! It is mostly contained in the campgrounds but every year i see them out on side trips as Ells suggested. The Grotto at West Bend is definitely worth seeing! I believe it is 1 of just 3 or 4 in the world- not sure on that fact tho. Okoboji is always a great place to spend a day , but $ for $ I would go to Custer. Just my opinion

Old 03-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Algona?

If you want insanity, go to Hogstock in Winterset. http://www.hawgstock.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbo
:) It ia an ABATE of Iowa Rally. Grown to be rather large. They bought an 80 acre site(I think) not to far from town! It is mostly contained in the campgrounds but every year i see them out on side trips as Ells suggested. The Grotto at West Bend is definitely worth seeing! I believe it is 1 of just 3 or 4 in the world- not sure on that fact tho. Okoboji is always a great place to spend a day , but $ for $ I would go to Custer. Just my opinion
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11