Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #16

Current Exhaust System

V&H Baggers, love the sound,

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #17
Advanced Member

Current Exhaust System

I didn't vote because I don't feel knowledgeable to contribute.
I have only had stock pipes and I'm on 10K miles.

I would really like to have pipes that are:
- loud at idle
- relatively loud at low speeds in traffic,
- and not very loud on the highway so my ears aren't ringing when I get to my destination.

Cheers,
Scott

Old 12-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #18
Sr. Contributor

Current Exhaust System

If I changed the pipes, I'd probably get Cobra's based on the problems people have had with cracking on baggers and Vance and Hines reluctance to fix the problem. Cobra's come with a lifetime warranty, V&H 1 year I believe.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 12-18-2008, 09:04 AM   #19

Current Exhaust System

I've been running the Vance & Hines for nearly 4 years now with the TFI, and Thunder Stealth intake. Haven't had the first problem wit the baggers. I've been playing with the baffles/tones a little, trying different things (that's the biggest advantage to the V&H). Most of the changes are following DKdixie's trials. When I get some extra time at work, I have a couple of proto types to make-up, and try out.
I do love the sound of the V&H.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #20
Advanced Member

Current Exhaust System

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjam
Regardless which of these combos you run now, which worked best. Thanks.
I have stock de-baffled pipes with about 3000 miles. It's not quite the rumble I'm looking for. I will be getting an aftermarket exhaust in the future, cause I can't leave well enough alone. :-/

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-18-2008, 09:36 AM   #21

Current Exhaust System

Bub Baggers and air intake from Sherm's but made by DragSpecialties. 52000 miles and still running good, but won't ever modify a bike again.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #22
Top Contributor

Current Exhaust System

Why no more modifications ?

Old 12-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #23

Current Exhaust System

I'm really looking forward to the rally this summer so I can hear the different sounds of the pipes before I make up my mind if I want to replace the exhaust system.

I debaffled my pipes right before I put it away for the winter and only rode it twice but I did notice it was louder (as it's supposed to be) than stock and I'll see this spring how I like them.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #24

Current Exhaust System

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01nomad
Bub Baggers and air intake from Sherm's but made by DragSpecialties. 52000 miles and still running good, but won't ever modify a bike again.
I am with you. No one here can ever understand but I will not modify any bike I ever buy again. Reason? There are 6 million different scenarios as to how you should do it and what is best. And the one that works for you is fine. But after 3 bikes in 16 months and 22,000 miles of riding, I found the reality is, stock was the best for me. Me being the keyword there. They set them up as well as can be and it is fine with me. I realize I am in the minority here, but that is cool to because I know that is respected as well. I am also sold now that regular oil is just as good as anything else if you keep it clean. All 3 of my bikes ran better on it.

Yes, I can spend the bucks and fit a aircraft engine on it, but it just doesnt work for me. I go against the grain of what most motorcycle riders think is true. I think loud pipes do not save lives, safe riding does. Doesnt matter how loud your pipes are if the driver is on the cell phone or has his rear bass speakers so loud, he is trying to vibrate the earth. Dont show me oil tests from 1994 with Amsoil, I am so damn sick of seeing a tad bit of rust. The best protection for my engine is not the oil, but the warranty.:)

Rant mode off.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #25
Mega-Contributor

Current Exhaust System

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjam
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01nomad
I am with you. No one here can ever understand but I will not modify any bike I ever buy again. Reason? There are 6 million different scenarios as to how you should do it and what is best. And the one that works for you is fine. But after 3 bikes in 16 months and 22,000 miles of riding, I found the reality is, stock was the best for me. Me being the keyword there. They set them up as well as can be and it is fine with me. I realize I am in the minority here, but that is cool to because I know that is respected as well. I am also sold now that regular oil is just as good as anything else if you keep it clean. All 3 of my bikes ran better on it.

Yes, I can spend the bucks and fit a aircraft engine on it, but it just doesnt work for me. I go against the grain of what most motorcycle riders think is true. I think loud pipes do not save lives, safe riding does. Doesnt matter how loud your pipes are if the driver is on the cell phone or has his rear bass speakers so loud, he is trying to vibrate the earth. Dont show me oil tests from 1994 with Amsoil, I am so damn sick of seeing a tad bit of rust. The best protection for my engine is not the oil, but the warranty.:)

Rant mode off.
Nothing wrong with that. Personally, I'm a tinkerer and just can't leave "well enough" alone. ::)
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #26

Current Exhaust System

I've always (I'm talking 50 yrs. here) modified all my bikes but the laws that are coming out pretty well forbid it. I done it to be different and to be able to see my bikes in a parking lot full of bikes. What I mean is I won't modify the intake/exhaust as designed. Yes it makes it go faster, but takes away the dependability of the engineering. Just about any trouble I've had with a bike involved something I've changed, so I won't be doing that in any future bikes. I might not even need a future bike as I have two to wear out first and I'll probably be over 70 then!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:48 PM   #27
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
Current Exhaust System

After a bit of a headache I have the V&H Baggers on mine along with TFI and Caddman mod. Love it.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:50 PM   #28
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
Current Exhaust System

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2007nomad KawaNOW #00481
I didn't vote because I don't feel knowledgeable to contribute.
I have only had stock pipes and I'm on 10K miles.

I would really like to have pipes that are:
- loud at idle
- relatively loud at low speeds in traffic,
- and not very loud on the highway so my ears aren't ringing when I get to my destination.

Cheers,
Scott
Baggers with the stock baffles should meet your requirements. Also Cobras as well should work out great.