Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-06-2007, 02:35 PM   #1

Battery Storage

I live in Alberta Canada where the winter is 6 to 7 months long and the temperature ranges from -5 to -40.My bike will be stored in an insulated unheated garage.I don't think starting the bike every 2 weeks is an option because of the extreme cold,so does anyone know if taking the battery off the bike and storing it in the house is a good idea.I thank you in advance for your advise.........Ben

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2007, 02:56 PM   #2

Battery Storage

I have a battery tender junior I bought from cruiser customizing. Its a smart charger that will keep it charged but won't over charge it. It has a little pigtail wire that you attach to the battery and the end tucks in nicely between the seat and the plastic tool kit cover so no one sees it. Then you can just plug it in quickly to the ac adapter when you want to use it. A fully charged battery shouldn't freeze. But if you don't plan on riding at all, bringing it in the house can't hurt.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Battery Storage

i would for sure take it indoors where warm and trickle charge it all winter for top performance. Cold is a killer of batteries.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:34 PM   #4

Battery Storage

Thanks for your input,I can't ride here at all during the winter months,the snows to deep and much to cold.I think I'll try storing it in doors this year with a charger on it.thanks again....Ben

Old 10-09-2007, 08:54 AM   #5

Battery Storage

good idea. winter sucks!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #6

Battery Storage

Yeah I just leave mine on the bike and like wolfman i use a battery tender on it all winter and it hasnt failed on me yet....in all these years.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to scion0
Battery Storage

Quote:
I live in Alberta Canada where the winter is 6 to 7 months long and the temperature ranges from -5 to -40.My bike will be stored in an insulated unheated garage.I don't think starting the bike every 2 weeks is an option because of the extreme cold,so does anyone know if taking the battery off the bike and storing it in the house is a good idea.I thank you in advance for your advise.........Ben
6 to 7 month long winter man o man, when do you find time to ride? ??? ;)

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 10-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #8

Battery Storage

Ya well good question,after the snow stops it takes the City about a month to get the gravel off the roads.Riding on that stuff is like riding on small marbles and you also have to be real cautious of the motorists because they haven't seen a motorcycle for at least 6 months.Then we just ride as much as we can for as long as nature allows.