Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #1

Question Air System Mods? Remove Dual Breather Covers?

This may have already been covered some where, but i havent seen the exact details im looking for if it has.

I see lots of Air system Mods. But im looking specifically how to reduce the air travel and let the Beast breath a little more, While also getting rid of the dual covers and the crap in between the jigs to let a little more air flow?

Anyone know any good air system mods, that still look atractive once on the bike, but also let you open up between the jugs and get rid of some of the crap and the left side cover and let them breath naturally also?

if anyone has a picture who has done this, i would love to see what the left side of the bike looks like without the cover!

Thanks Guys!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #2

I just purchased an open air intake from Chuckster's Customs (Joe). It's half the price of big-name commercial intake kits, and works exactly the same. Many on here have his product, and everyone is happy with the performance.

Also, I think his service is second to none; he and I traded a few emails last week, and I ordered via paypal on saturday, and he shipped it that same day. The intake kit arrived yesterday. Can't wait to install it and unleash the beast.

http://www.chucksterscustoms.com/Home/Products

Ben "Bennie07" Branstad
VBA Member #02277
2007 Nomad 1600

Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #3

Question

Ive seen several people mention his site, and i actually looked at this before but wasnt sure exactly how it worked, since he kind of references multiple models and doesnt show a picture of the left side of the bike.

I will definelty do some more research.

This leads to another question. Im an all weather rider, So i ride in some heavy rain a couple times a year (its inevitable), anyone have any trouble running open breathers like this kit it rain? doesnt it get sucked into intake and cause problems? should have asked this in the first post as ive always been curious about this.

thanks!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #4

The equation for the 1700 Vulcans to achieve better performance is simple, and you are on the right track.

I have found the biggest restriction to power is in the intake. It has to be restrictive by nature to suppress the intake noise these 4 valve per cylinders produce. Installing an aftermarket BAK is simple and affective.

Next is opening up the exhaust. I compared power outputs of the two most popular brands of slip-on mufflers on my dyno, the Cobra Tr-ovals and the Vance & Hines Slash cuts. The V&H s/ons win in the performance area hands down, and between the 2 brands have the most aggressive sound.

Having the fuel injection tuned to provide the proper air/fuel ratio to the engine must be done after these additions to the engine. This will insure the best power and mpg is achieved.

My Vaquero went from 65 H.P. and 79 pnds torque to 84 H.P. and 102 pnds torque with free flowing s/ons and my own design BAK. With the addition of a HIGHLY modified V&H 2into1 exhaust I now have 88 H.P. and 108 pnds torque. I have seen as high as 53 avg mpg on my skoot in non aggressive riding and thats a good thing!!

The ONLY problem you will run into in regards to rain and it's affect on a BAK with an exposed air filter would only be if the skoot is sitting/parked not running in a rain storm. A waterproof cover over the filter is a good idea. Except in a sitiuation where you ride into a water puddle so fast as to produce a wake that would cause a large quantity of water to enter the engine and possible hydraulic lock, riding in rain will not cause any problems. You may experience the same symptoms of the engine injesting water as sportbikes do with their forward facing ram-air inlets, just a slight miss. I have been in horrible and torrential downpours on my skoot and if anything only felt slight miss.
Let the fun begin with your skoot!!

RACNRAY

Last edited by RACNRAY; 03-12-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #5

If you do a search on chuckster's intake I believe it turns up a couple of threads with other members' bikes with the left side removed, albeit most are 1600's. I may end up removing my left side & crossover, and add an air horn there eventually but for now, I'm going to leave it stock for a balanced look.

I wondered the same thing about rain as well, and asked Joe about a rain cover for the K & N filter, and he said that you really don't need one as not that much water gets in. I suppose the aerodynamics of the bike itself probably forces a lot of the water around the filter while moving. I did read in one of the past threads that any water that gets sucked in just gets burned into steam, well, as long as it doesn't overwhelm the fuel/air mixture anyway.

I guess I'll find out shortly....well, as soon as this freaking snow and cold goes away!

Ben "Bennie07" Branstad
VBA Member #02277
2007 Nomad 1600

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #6

Ray, You need to share with the rest of us the mods you made to your 2-2 V&H or start selling them! Same goes for the intake!

Old 03-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmitch78 View Post
This may have already been covered some where, but i havent seen the exact details im looking for if it has.

I see lots of Air system Mods. But im looking specifically how to reduce the air travel and let the Beast breath a little more, While also getting rid of the dual covers and the crap in between the jigs to let a little more air flow?

Anyone know any good air system mods, that still look atractive once on the bike, but also let you open up between the jugs and get rid of some of the crap and the left side cover and let them breath naturally also?

if anyone has a picture who has done this, i would love to see what the left side of the bike looks like without the cover!

Thanks Guys!
I also installed Chuckster's Air Kit. It allows you to keep the right side cover on the bike as the K&N filter that is included seals up tight against the inside of the stock cover. I also opted to keep the left side cover in place too....I like the stock look. There is a noticeable increase in intake sound with this set-up, but only when you crank on it. I also installed the Cobra PowerPro and don't have any decel popping issues yet.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redking View Post
Ray, You need to share with the rest of us the mods you made to your 2-2 V&H or start selling them! Same goes for the intake!
OH GOSH...no way I could duplicate my mods and offer them for sale at a cost that peeps could afford. Too much time to make them. If I could afford cnc machinery...
Somewhere I did post what I did with the exhaust tho.

RACNRAY

Old 03-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #9

This is Chuckster's adapter on my 1700 Vaquero (in case there was any confusion )

This adapter lets us use the stock cover. It reduces costs, and we know it looks good!

On the left side, you'r left with some visible, shiny bolt holes (e.g. the hole seen on the rear cylinder), so several of us have opted to find some sort of filler. I think we're finding the filler panel also reduces some of the now-audible noises from being such a nuisance.

As she looks today:

formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Last edited by jestephens; 03-14-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Old 06-09-2019, 03:39 AM   #10

Left side cover

Where can I find a left side cover? I have been scouraging the internet and forums...thanks!

Heath

Old 06-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #11

Kuryakyn Alley Cat ( I have a rain cover for mine):
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 06-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by royhobbs1977 View Post
Where can I find a left side cover? I have been scouraging the internet and forums...thanks!

Heath
https://chucksterscustoms.com/produc...ed-cnc-v-logo/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00E0E_5fGNdCWZFYc_1200x900.jpg (92.0 KB, 5 views)
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog