Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #1

Add ons

As a group we spend a lot of money on add ons. Chrome is probably the number one add on. I've talked to highway patrolmen, MSF Instructors and local cops and they all tell me the same thing, after investigating a motorcycle accident, The person that hit the bike says " I didn't see him". Maybe if we spent a little more money on being seen there wouldn't be as many bike wrecks. A light bar on the front, modulating headlight, LED's on turn signals and brake lights and lighted license plate holder. The strobes in a previous thread are a good idea, but maybe a little over the top. In Georgia all the mailmen have strobes on their vehicles and you don't have any problem seeing them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-15-2008, 08:09 AM   #2

Add ons

I agree with you.
Just added Kuryakyn run, turn, brake controller to my 08 Nomad. But, having done this mod to my last two bikes, I believe manufactures should start paying attention to more lights being added. For a manufacture to do the rear mod would add less than 100.00 to the overall retail price. Except for some of the sport bikes, and most of the large cruisers, manufactures seem to think one little brake & running light is all that's necessary. And when you read rider threads about what add-ons we want, there is little or no attention paid to lighting.
I would like to see this forum get behind this problem.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 01-15-2008, 08:37 AM   #3

Add ons

I agree. I want to add brake lights, driving lights, etc but I am hesitant to do so because I lack the electrical skills to do it. I guess I can learn by doing.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 01-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #4
Top Contributor

Add ons

In PA. most school buses have strobe lights on top so people see them. The wierd thing is people still say they didn't see the bus.. The damn thing is yellow!!
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Add ons

That is the oldest excuse in the book! On all of my previous Ventures I've had the Back off Brake Flashers - Extra Halogen Brake Lights mounted on top of the trunk ( that's Eyeball high) and also High / Lo driving lights with High Intensity Head light and on all three I was either changed lanes into 1989 ( didn't see me - even tho I was bigger than the compact car he was driving) - Rear ended at Pedistrian Cross walk ( didn't see me stop for the Elerly couple or the Big Flashing Yellow lights) - and severly cut off at Highway speeds ( pulled out into traffic in front of me and a Semi beside me).
Long story short - I didn't see him is a readily available excuse - instead of I wasn't really looking or paying attention to the Road or what ever is around me - I'm too busy talking on Cellphone / reading paper / drinking my coffee / putting on my makeup - etc.

Sorry for the rant!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-15-2008, 08:54 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
Add ons

Quote:
I agree. I want to add brake lights, driving lights, etc but I am hesitant to do so because I lack the electrical skills to do it. I guess I can learn by doing.
I'm kinda like you coacha.... I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but when it comes to electrical, I'm not afraid to admit it...I'm an idiot!! The last thing I want to do is try my hand at something simple and screw it up into something big that cost me more to have fixed!! That being said...I'm willing and would rather do my own modifications...since as we've talked about in other threads, NOBODY cares for our bikes the way we do!!! I guess I'm either going to have to find somebody to teach me some stuff...or go find a small community college class to learn some basics. I will say though, that reading a lot of peoples posts on here has helped me learn some!! There are some guys on here that know their $h*t and are willing to share, which is great!!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #7

Add ons

I agree to some degree, but when you have those cages pulling up beside you merging into you lane knowing that you have to get out of the way...I'm sure they saw me they came up from behind me. Then there was the one that stop at a side street as I was riding down the main road I was looking at her face as she pull out into my lane"and the front end of my bike is lit up like a train. I would not disagree that any item that promotes safety on a bike is'nt warranted, but if those cagers just where more focus on the road and who were on it and not on their own busy lives while driving we would have alot less biking accidents.IMHO. I feel most driver look at us like this I'm driving a car and they are on a bike of course they will stop, move or get out of the way because the car is bigger, and in reality that is true I will let a two ton car have the right away even if its not theirs. But I also love to educate them at the next light. Now thats where it pays to have a bike because you can get in between those stopped car to the idiot that ethier cut me off or pushed me of the road. So yes to a degree I do agree. But there is no pill for stupidity when it comes to people driving cages.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #8

Add ons

Quote:
In PA. most school buses have strobe lights on top so people see them. The wierd thing is people still say they didn't see the bus.. The d**n thing is yellow!!
And HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #9

Add ons

The first mod I did to my Nomad was add driving lights. I also mounted reflectors on the saddle bags. Last August I was stopped at a gas station about midnight in Illinois.A fella stopped in and told me he had followed me from a rest area about 50 miles back. Anyway, he told me he could see the piece of reflective tape I have on my helmet from about a half mile.He told me that was the one thing he could always see the whole time he was behind me. We need to be as visible as possible day and night.

Mike

Old 01-15-2008, 10:56 AM   #10

Add ons

Don't let the fear of not knowing about electricity stop you from doing some mods on your bike. Its really pretty simple stuff, the hardest part usually routing the wiring through the bike to hide it from view, sometimes having to remove the tank, sidecovers and seats. There are enough people around that will explain stuff, and places like Gadgets sight are priceless for detailed info, John is a real pro at electrical and you can always call on him for an answer. When he had his Nomad , he had more electrical accessories on it than anyone I know, all done very professionally and neat.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-15-2008, 11:13 AM   #11

Add ons

I believe extra lights is a must. Before I ever road my bike, I added running lights. I've also added led brake and run lights to my trunk. I'm goeing to put another set on my trunk. I've also added etra side and rear reflector,plus I have the reflector tape on the back of my helments. I'm in the process of adding an extra wire loom so I can add some more lights.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:25 AM   #12

Add ons

Added lighting is essential to me.

I have spots up front
electrical connections turn signal kit to make the rears into brake/running lights
I just added lite blazers. check this link. I mounted them upside down so it won't get to busy looking at the tail light.

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=5125

Old 01-15-2008, 12:07 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Add ons

The first mod I did was to add a headlight modulator. Then I put on a couple of LED running/brake lights on the back. I'm not too happy with them, they're just not very bright.

The next addition was a Stebel air horn. It's pretty loud but I'm thinking of putting another one on the other side. Louder is better! If I could think of a way to do it I would love to add a locomotive horn. Problem is besides being rather large I would need a huge air source like a trailer mounted air tank and motor powered compressor. Not too practical but it sure would be LOUD! Can you just see the look on the face of the cager when you blasted them with that? I bet they would have to change their diaper.

Getting serious again, I intend to add more lights on the back and the front. I came up behind a Gold Wing the other night and the back of his bike looked like an advertisement for lights, there must have been about 15 different lights on there. If you couldn't see him you had to be blind!

I wear an AeroStich RoadCrafter suit which has a large reflective strip across the back but it might not be a bad idea to add a strip to the back of my helmet also.

However, I think no matter how much you do to make yourself visible your only safe bet is to assume that no one sees you at all and to be prepared for the worst at all times.

P.S. You can find locomotive horns on Ebay!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 01-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #14

Add ons

I got to use my Stebel for the 1st time this morning on the way to work. Same ole story - cager crowded me in my lane. I knew it wouldn't take long to test it.

I have four rear running lights and two brake lights. Will be adding spots up front this year. Maybe some small bullet lights off the lower frame too.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #15

Add ons

Quote:
Ok Coacha.....get your butt up to N GA this spring and we'll install whatever you want. You have to buy the beer.
Good excuse for a nice 500 mile ride!

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider