Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-01-2016, 04:51 AM   #16

I know that you want to be thorough but you're overthinking this way too much.

That U-haul trailer's ramp is super easy to ride up. The deck height is quite low compared to some of the others out there.

I've rented and used them quite a few times.

Your straps aren't going to come loose. Take it from someone who has stopped at every rest area and double and triple checked them before.

Ride the bike up on the trailer and strap it good from each corner. And since you'll be doing it alone, go from left to right in stages. Just do the front, then do the back.

Then just to make yourself feel better add another strap at each corner as a back up in case one breaks. They won't, but just in case.

Then forget about it.

Check it once or twice, then enjoy the trip.

Been There Done That Got The T-Shirt

MT
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-01-2016, 07:49 AM   #17

Haha, you are probably right. I think I'll be fine, especially after all the tips I've received here. I'm glad that I found a board with so many knowledgeable, helpful people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
I know that you want to be thorough but you're overthinking this way too much.

That U-haul trailer's ramp is super easy to ride up. The deck height is quite low compared to some of the others out there.

I've rented and used them quite a few times.

Your straps aren't going to come loose. Take it from someone who has stopped at every rest area and double and triple checked them before.

Ride the bike up on the trailer and strap it good from each corner. And since you'll be doing it alone, go from left to right in stages. Just do the front, then do the back.

Then just to make yourself feel better add another strap at each corner as a back up in case one breaks. They won't, but just in case.

Then forget about it.

Check it once or twice, then enjoy the trip.

Been There Done That Got The T-Shirt

MT

Old 08-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #18
Advanced Member

ditto I use the non-racheting type of tie downs with what I call bow-ties they where mentioned before (short two loop strap) (IMO) I think the rachet style straps can apply way to much pressure on things, dont get me wrong I believe in a secure scoot just not to the point where they bottom out your front forks and the rachet syles can very easily do it. you create a triangle using straps from starting at the triple trees ( lower or upper) then down to attachment points.
A triangle being the strongest shape right!
then tie down the rear from the bike to floor of the trailer the best way you can its a lil tougher but make sure the rear end can't dance.
if the front is done correctly you can pull short distances without rear straps.
leave bike in neutral with the side stand up. I have seen folks tie down with the bike leaning on its kickstand ( not good)
my 2 cents I have trailered a lot of bikes, including show winners

Last edited by skullbagger; 08-01-2016 at 07:57 AM.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
keep in mind that as you approach and start driving up the ramp, if you choose to do so instead of pushing the bike up, when the front wheel starts up the ramp you lose the ability to plant your feet on the ground as the bike rises....if you drive up you must do so in one fluid motion instead of slowly while dragging your feet...

this also comes into play when pushing a bike up the ramp...the bars and controls rise quite a bit more than you do at first and it can be a handful steadying the bike if youre alone and unfamiliar with the feeling...having someone pushing from behind helps as you can spend most of your effort guiding and steadying the bike..
I guess it depends on the trailer, mine had a long ramp and was easy to keep my feet down and ride on. I did paint a line down the center of the trailer bed with spray paint to the hoop so i could center the front wheel by looking down past the forks. Hard to see that close with the fairing there. I loaded and unloaded myself.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:58 AM   #20

Vinny, it is natural to over think it the first few times. Don't worry about it, it is better to overthink it than under think it.We all do it. I know I did especially back many years ago when I trailered & launched my first boat.

So I have reached my destination in Red Lodge MT with a bunch of other members.

I unstrapped the bike and rolled it off the back myself without any issues. I rode it off rather than stand next to it . I just made sure I covered the brake the whole way down.

I also rode it on to the trailer under power by myself because I knew at some point I had to do it that way so I might as well learn the first time doing it with a heavier bike . It was no big deal. My bike puts my pegs underneath my feet so I can stand up dirt bike style. I would not be able to do that easily on my old Nomad. My trailer is long enough where I was able to ride on to it without going into the chock, this allowed me to ride up then pause to line up my front wheel then power into the chock. My ramp as you can tell by the pictures is pretty long and not a very steep incline so I'm sure that helped.

Like someone suggested there is at least one short position where I am not able to touch my feet as I'm going up or down the ramp. Sounds like you might not have that issue.

My goal was not to end up on America's Funniest Videos.
I will let you know if I accomplished that after I return.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by schoeney; 08-01-2016 at 09:00 AM.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #21

Awesome, glad you made it safe! Yeah, just look up motorcycle loading fail on YouTube, another video you don't want to be the star of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
Vinny, it is natural to over think it the first few times. Don't worry about it, it is better to overthink it than under think it.We all do it. I know I did especially back many years ago when I trailered & launched my first boat.

So I have reached my destination in Red Lodge MT with a bunch of other members.

I unstrapped the bike and rolled it off the back myself without any issues. I rode it off rather than stand next to it . I just made sure I covered the brake the whole way down.

I also rode it on to the trailer under power by myself because I knew at some point I had to do it that way so I might as well learn the first time doing it with a heavier bike . It was no big deal. My bike puts my pegs underneath my feet so I can stand up dirt bike style. I would not be able to do that easily on my old Nomad. My trailer is long enough where I was able to ride on to it without going into the chock, this allowed me to ride up then pause to line up my front wheel then power into the chock. My ramp as you can tell by the pictures is pretty long and not a very steep incline so I'm sure that helped.

Like someone suggested there is at least one short position where I am not able to touch my feet as I'm going up or down the ramp. Sounds like you might not have that issue.

My goal was not to end up on America's Funniest Videos.
I will let you know if I accomplished that after I return.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #22

Well. I just got back. 2000 miles. Including driving over Beartooth Pass with the bike in the trailer. No issues!

I also rode the bike over the pass 3 times as well.

Bike was rock solid riding in the trailer. Those yellow loops were the key. I did not even need to strap down the handlebars or triple tree. When I tightened the straps between the lower attachment point and the eye bolts on the wheel chock it compressed my front suspension a little, so no need for the additional straps.

I am glad I strapped down the rear wheel as we went over a gigantic bump in the road.... it held it down fine.

I was amazed that none of the straps needed adjustment on the entire trip. I did forget to lock one once but it did not come loose.

See below. The blue straps we're not really necessary , just a little piece of mind.

VBA #659

Last edited by schoeney; 08-07-2016 at 07:30 PM.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #23

I just wanted to update and thank everyone for their tips. The bike and I made it to Myrtle Beach just fine! Uhaul wouldn't rent me the motorcycle trailer, they said I was driving too far and would blow the bearings so I had to get a 5x9 trailer. It has a small wheel chock but I didn't even use it. Strapped it down good, checked it every time we gassed up, no issues at all! I will say, the first few times you see your bike bounce around on the trailer from your rear view mirror, you kinda cringe lol. I found a business (that was closed) with a ramp leading to the front door and unloaded there. Almost a straight shot, really easy. Again, thanks to everyone for all the tips!

Old 08-10-2016, 05:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troopervinny View Post
I just wanted to update and thank everyone for their tips. The bike and I made it to Myrtle Beach just fine! Uhaul wouldn't rent me the motorcycle trailer, they said I was driving too far and would blow the bearings so I had to get a 5x9 trailer. It has a small wheel chock but I didn't even use it. Strapped it down good, checked it every time we gassed up, no issues at all! I will say, the first few times you see your bike bounce around on the trailer from your rear view mirror, you kinda cringe lol. I found a business (that was closed) with a ramp leading to the front door and unloaded there. Almost a straight shot, really easy. Again, thanks to everyone for all the tips!
That 5x9 is the one I always rented to tow before I built a Harbor Freight trailer.

MT
VBA 936

Old 08-10-2016, 08:35 AM   #25

Glad it went smooth Vinny.

VBA #659

Old 08-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #26
Advanced Member

Surprised I haven't seen these lay flat trailers until now - no ramp to drive onto!

http://www.razortrailers.com/

Old 08-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #27

Now that's cool!
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 08-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #28

Boy, sparks are going to fly pulling it that way😁

VBA #659

Old 08-13-2016, 11:03 AM   #29

That's cool. Went to their web site. Only draw back in in the up position not much ground clearance.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #30
Advanced Member

there is also an enclosed version, different mfg..
works well using a fiberglass shell