Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #1

Gerbings Gloves

Just had a few questions for any owners of these gloves.

1) Should I buy the G3's or T5's?

2) What model do you own?

3) If I use a splitter on my power port will both my gloves (27W 2.2 AMp) and my GPS 15W 1.25A be ok if I use at the same time?
This is wired using the extra acc wire under the tank.

4) Those dual controllers are spendy. I don't get cold other than my hands....should I just get the cheaper on/off controller?

5) Anyone know a valid promotion/discount code for these? I tried a few random ones off a google search but none worked.

6) Anything else I should know about these?

Thanks in advance
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #2

Gerbings Gloves

The original Gerbing's heated gloves, which is what I have, work well, even when not plugged in. The problem is that they are quite bulky, and you lose some feel for the controls. Other than that, they work well. they get warm enough that I seldom have them on because they make my hands sweat and it's hard to get the gloves off without turning the lining inside out. The newer, light weight gloves work just as well, however the are abojut $169.00!!!

You shouldn't have any difficulties with the way you have things set up with the splitter. Just check to make sure the gloves don't draw more current than the fused circuit will allow. Don't want to fry any wires!

I'd spring for the controller. With just an on/off switch, it's feast or famine--either they're full on, or completely off. Sometimes it's just cold enough that you need just a touch of heat, but with the switch setup, you'll get more than you need, and maybe in the off position it's not enough. They now offer a controller with a wireless connection, so I'll bet you could find some deals on the original unit. Any good dual sport shop ought to carry that stuff. Otherwise, you can deal with Gerbing's direct.

There is a great dual sport shop in Boise called Happy Trails. Give them a call at 208-377-8771. They have a large stock of both Gerbings and Warm 'n' Safe/First Gear heated stuff, including the controllers, wiring, etc. Ask to talk to Ed. He can set you up and maybe give you a discount. I've been a customer there for years, and can vouch for them as an honest and reputable dealer.

Hope this helps.

Greg

Old 01-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
Top Contributor

Gerbings Gloves

Greg,
I have the G3 gloves and use a single controller with a splitter coming out of my liner. Essentially the single controller controls both the liner and gloves. A dual controller allows one for the liner and another for the gloves.

The liner retains most of its heat because it is warn under a jacket. The gloves are exposed and lose about 30-35% of their heat to the atmosphere, so it can feel like the liner is warmer than the gloves.

With a dual controller you can turn down the liner to better match what you feel in the gloves. I have no problem with the single controller for both.....and am toasty warm as they are!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 01-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #4

Gerbings Gloves

I too have the G3s. They are great! I highly recommend them!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 01-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #5

Gerbings Gloves

I have the vest and gloves. Not certain what model the gloves are, but they are about 5 years old and bulky. I also have the dual control.

I like all three components, but have heard the controller is the weak link and can fail without notice, so I'm thinking of getting a spare to carry with me. One thing I did recently was to buy the cover/clip for the dual control that allows me to hook it on the bike or me somewhere...it is much easier to use with that item.

I've had the gloves cranked to full power before on some cold rides that I could absolutely not have done without the electric gear. They are well worth the expense to a rider that keeps going when it's chilly out.

Also, as with GregO, Ed (Capt Ed) at Happy Trails has my full endorsement! A good guy and a solid outfit!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #6

Gerbings Gloves

I got the G3's and their cheapo $7 plugin that connects to the battery. Threading the connection cables from each gloved through my sleeves and into the connector placed in front of the tank between my legs, I just turn 'em on when the digits are cold, off when they're warm enough. Works for me.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:51 AM   #7

Gerbings Gloves

I run a dual controller for a liner and the Nubuck gloves. They didn't seem as bulky as the older models and I assumed that since they were touted as water and windproof the heating elements would make up for the lack of bulk while being more comfortable. That is the way is seems to work although because the gloves are out in the wind more they are usuallly turned up higher than the jacket liner.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #8

Gerbings Gloves

I have a First Gear/Warm 'n' Safe heated jacket liner. It has a neat feature that allows you to use a dual controller, but keep your gloves plugged into the wires coming out of the jacket sleeves.. I don't believe that the Gerbings have that feature. Pretty handy. If I decide I can afford a dual controller, that's what I'm gonna do. This eliminates a bunch of extra wires coming from the gloves.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #9

Gerbings Gloves

Thanks guys!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 01-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Gerbings Gloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregO
I have a First Gear/Warm 'n' Safe heated jacket liner. It has a neat feature that allows you to use a dual controller, but keep your gloves plugged into the wires coming out of the jacket sleeves.. I don't believe that the Gerbings have that feature. Pretty handy. If I decide I can afford a dual controller, that's what I'm gonna do. This eliminates a bunch of extra wires coming from the gloves.
With the Gerbings, your gloves are always plugged into the jacket sleeve wires...with both the single and dual controllers....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 01-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
Advanced Member

Gerbings Gloves

I have the Gerbing jacket liner, glove liners and a dual controller.

I like being able to adjust independently. The glove liners give me more flexibility for the outer shell. On real cold days (5 degrees earlier in the week), I use mitten shells.

I can't imagine power draw being any type of problem.

Getting dressed in the proper order and mounting the thermostat where you can easily adjust it in the dark with a mitten are the two main learning points.