Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-05-2016, 11:28 PM   #1

Exhaust sound powercommand? Need opinions

Hi everyone! Need some feedback. Bought my 1500fi a few yrs back. Really didnt notice it till I was riding next to my buddy's 1500 and my dad's 1600. My bike doesn't have that low thump sound. It's more like the oposite end. It's like a higher POP POP POP loud lawnmower sound even when I downshift. The guy I bought it from had put on a PowerCommand3 on it along with V&H straightshots and a K&N breather. He said a shop did all the installs. Along with that, the bike does want to start hard. Hangs up about half crank sometimes. Good starter and new battery. Any thoughts? Do I need to have the bike re-tuned and or dyno? Would be nice if it had that nice thump like my dad's and buddys. Bike runs fine. Gas mileage could be better and the throttle responsee is OK once it warms up. Thanks all!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2016, 04:59 AM   #2

Sounds like you need to clean the throttlebody....Thats what mine does.....clean it, where the butterflies close and the butterflies themselves....
Old toothbrush, get carb cleaner, spray it, get it good and clean. I also use really long qtips, also.
How long has it been since you've done a tuneup? When I experience this, I clean the throttlebody, freshen up the plugs by cleaning them, and run some seafoam in the tank and all is right with the world.
Now days, I don't wait, I just do it about every 6 months, since I ride year round

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 10-06-2016 at 05:06 AM.

Old 10-06-2016, 07:44 AM   #3

Agree, clean the throttle body real good.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 10-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser81 View Post
Hi everyone! Need some feedback. Bought my 1500fi a few yrs back. Really didnt notice it till I was riding next to my buddy's 1500 and my dad's 1600. My bike doesn't have that low thump sound. It's more like the oposite end. It's like a higher POP POP POP loud lawnmower sound even when I downshift. The guy I bought it from had put on a PowerCommand3 on it along with V&H straightshots and a K&N breather. He said a shop did all the installs. Along with that, the bike does want to start hard. Hangs up about half crank sometimes. Good starter and new battery. Any thoughts? Do I need to have the bike re-tuned and or dyno? Would be nice if it had that nice thump like my dad's and buddys. Bike runs fine. Gas mileage could be better and the throttle responsee is OK once it warms up. Thanks all!
Is this during throttle up OR decel? You could also check for any vacuum leaks. Also check your plugs which will tell you a lot.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #5

Anyone have a detail thread or how to on the cleaning of the throttle body?

2006 Nomad 1600 "Big Irish"
BatWing Fairing
12" KST Mayhem Dresser Bars
Demon Cycle Mirrors
Tunes supplied by Pioneer and Polk
Exhaust courtesy of Vance and Hines and Big City Thunder

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
Top Contributor

Open the throttle which opens the throttle body. Keep it held open and get some cleaner (injector or carb or Seafoam) in a bowl and with a toothbrush clean both sides of the flaps and around the throttle body itself where the flaps rest when they are closed. There will probably be a ring of gunk there.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #7

are they running similar pipes to yours?...

Old 10-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #8

I'll check the throttle body. I've changed the plugs and no vacuum leaks. Not on throttle up. But if I downshift it has a more sputtering sound. Doesn't seem to have that low rumble even at idle. I have V&H straight shots and my dad has the longshots. I've even swapped out mine with his and my bike still has that higher poppy sound instead of a throaty sound. I usually run seafoam in the bike. I've never had a professional tune up on it. Just normal maintainance.

Last edited by Kaiser81; 10-07-2016 at 12:18 PM.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #9

Quote:
I'll check the throttle body. I've changed the plugs and no vacuum leaks. Not on throttle up. But if I downshift it has a more sputtering sound. Doesn't seem to have that low rumble even at idle. I have V&H straight shots and my dad has the longshots. I've even swapped out mine with his and my bike still has that higher poppy sound instead of a throaty sound. I usually run seafoam in the bike. I've never had a professional tune up on it. Just normal maintainance.
I would start by trying adjusting your fuel processor. You could be running lean which may cause your issue. Check your plugs as well when making these adjustments to see what's going on.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Open the throttle which opens the throttle body. Keep it held open and get some cleaner (injector or carb or Seafoam) in a bowl and with a toothbrush clean both sides of the flaps and around the throttle body itself where the flaps rest when they are closed. There will probably be a ring of gunk there.
Thats what I sing while doing it, Johnny Cash, Ring of Gunk! That super small ring of gunk will disrupt the fuel/air atomization since the injectors are so close to the throttle blades....thats why it affects the idle, the sound of your idle....it'll even make your bike not want to idle at all!
I will say this, for air cleaners that are supposed to do their jobs, alot of gunk will, settle right there where the throttle blades are during idle.
When you buy your air cleaners, hold it up to the light, look thru it while turning it. IF, you see any unobstructed light thru it, get another filter. K&N had a problem out there a few years back with that, but if you see light, and theres filter material its going thru, your good. The oiling will catch the dirt/dust.
Also, I get just a touch of grease on my finger, and put it on the sealing lip both on top and bottom of the air cleaner element, helps seal it in really dusty conditions....

A couple of years ago I was riding behind a friend that had a big Yamaha, on the way to Sturgis. I kept hearing this damn rattling sound everytime we'd come to a stoplight or slowed down. Every fillup, I'd fill her up, start her up, listen to her, put my hand on the heads expected to feel something tapping or rattling, I pulled out ahead of him, noise gone. He had the stock baffles out and had some aftermarket baffle in there, so, I could hear his exhaust popping/ valves tapping some.
Riding with a group of other bikes will throw off noises that you think might be coming from yours.
Pay attention to all the noises and quirks your bike makes.
Usually, she will usually give you a little warning before things start going sideways....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 10-07-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #11

Thanks, I'll try cleaning it this weekend and see what comes of it. I had also thought the bike might be running lean. Unfortunately, the shop that put the PowerCommander in the bike for the last owner kept the software so I'm not sure if I can adjust it. I think there is a was someone was telling me once.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try cleaning it this weekend and see what comes of it. I had also thought the bike might be running lean. Unfortunately, the shop that put the PowerCommander in the bike for the last owner kept the software so I'm not sure if I can adjust it. I think there is a was someone was telling me once.

If you could find an older DOBECK TFI unit that would be much better than the PC3 and give you adjustment control instead of maps.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #13

If you think your running lean, most nomads do stock but yours is not so you need to look at the plugs and see what they are telling you and not just at idle, although checking after warm up and idle can be useful to compare with midrange. Run the bike down a highway that also has a safe place to pull over. Back off the throttle pull in the clutch and hit the kill switch. Coast to stop. Check both a rear and a front cylinder plug. Bone white you are lean, black oily looking you are rich and light chocolate brown you are just about right.
As for popping especially on deceleration could be vacuum lines not capped or leaking exhaust gaskets. Your comment about the bike hanging up while starting has me wondering and throwing thoughts out. The 1600's and probably the 1500's too have a automatic decompression system that closes at a certain rpm, I believe some people have dismantled it doing a rebuild and it cranks ok, but maybe you have an issue with it.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 10-07-2016, 10:52 PM   #14

Could be the compression release or could be the battery not turning the engine over cleanly....the 1500 is a big healthy engine

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 10-08-2016, 12:47 AM   #15

Thumbs Up

Never knew I could figure out if bike was lean or not by checking the plugs after killing the bike. Thanks for the tip! I'll start with the throttle body and go from there. As far as the battery it's brand new two weeks ago. It definitely cranks better than the old but still hangs up on occasion. Maybe my starter is getting weak. Hard to say.