Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #1

Ordered V&H dual baggers hope I like them

Got 9,000 miles on my 07 Nomad. There are times the stock exhaust system is nice, like when I park in the hospital parking garage ,or pull into a campground late. However other times I feel that I am missing much of the joy of ridding a big V-Twin. So I finally ordered the Vance & Hines dual baggers. Had a hard time choosing between the Cobra true duals and the Baggers. No one seems to have the Cobra,s in this area and the only sound compassion was the sound clips available. I have heard the Vance & Hines on two different Nomads I thought they had a very good sound , perhaps borderline on being too loud. A little concerned about the rear head pipe cracking that some have reported. Ordered them from Morepowerracing for $424 with free shipping, don't know anything about the company but I did call them before ordering and the seemed very professional , said they had 13 in stock. Probably take me over a week to get them they are in Washington State I am in Indiana. So I am looking forward to getting them I am fairly sure I will be pleased with them, if they prove to be too loud for those occasional 400 to 500 mile days I ride I have the option of modifying the removable baffles . Any comments on my concerns will be appreciated

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-20-2007, 07:44 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Shilohsam: i think your going to love em as much as I love mine. I smiled ear to ear for a week after installation. it was the deep sound I wanted. they are maybe borderline too loud for some but for me they are just right as is. be sure to grind that inner weld down slightly!! inside the front part of the mufflers so they will slide on easily. i fought for many hrs until I figured it out myself. Dremel too works best. then go tear up the town!!!

Old 10-20-2007, 11:33 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Love my baggers. The stock pipes where just too quiet.
Peace Makers LEMC

Old 10-21-2007, 04:09 AM   #4

I will be 60 years old in December. Few things in life have retained the enthusiasm and interest that I had when I was a kid. I purchased my first motorcycle magazine (Cycle World) in 1963 and I still have it. I have not ridden continually all of those years but have always had the interest. Have enjoyed about 20 different motorcycles both street and off road. I have had parallel, flat, and V- twins, 4 cylinder standard and sport bikes and a 6 cylinder GL 1500 Wing. The one I wish I had kept as a second bike was my 1968 BSA Thunderbolt. There are a lot of things that I really, really like about my present Nomad. I consider myself a mature and practical man in most aspects of life however motorcycles seem to maintain a youthful hold on me. Waiting for these Vance & Hines baggers remind me of this. Thanks for your input about the pipes , helps me to endure the wait for their arrival.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:26 AM   #5

Good decission Sam!

I loved mines as Doc says. I complete my engine with a Power Commander and a K&N airfilter, finetuning is now possible and the output of the engine is TOP

Enjoy them!

Nomadman

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-21-2007, 04:44 AM   #6

Sam I think I've got you beat by one. I'll be 61 in Dec. Have fun with your pipes and much happy rideing in the years to come.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
Top Contributor

You'll love the V&H.........they are JUST RIGHT

That installation tip from Doc is right on....will save you some frustration figuring it out.

I have wondered if the cracked rear pipe some have experienced could be due to the muffler/baffle assembly being too tight during installation, being forced into a position to bolt up, and it putting an undo pressure on the rear header pipe (i.e not hanging from the mounting points freely). Just a thought since the only points that it mounts are the baffles and the engine...dunno...merely speculation.......mine might malfunction the next time I take it out.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 10-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #8

i think you will be satisfied with the v/h baggers. i have 24,000 miles on mine with no problems. i did replace the baffle packing though. that was only a matter of calling v/h giving them the number off the pipes and they sent me the packing. only reason i relaced it was the pipes were getting a little loud.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
Top Contributor

Glad to see some older farts riding than myself(I'm 55). Rick what was the cost on that re-packing material from V&H? easy job? thx,

Old 10-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #10

V&H baggers are sweet. Just know that if you have a problem with the left side muffler fitting the header pipe just right we all had that problem and had to grind some to get it to fit. so yes it's normal. V&H does know about it but seems unwilling to fix it. But I love my V&H Bagger pipes.....

Old 10-21-2007, 05:29 PM   #11

todd
I had wondered about the rear header pipe crack some have reported being caused by improper installation procedure also. I downloaded the installation instructions from Vance & Hines site and it does state that the exhaust flange header bolts on the engine cylinder head should be left loose at first as well as the muffler clamps that attach the mufflers to the header pipes. First tighten the muffler body to the frame, second tighten the header pipe flanges and last tighten the muffler clamps. This would allow every thing to properly find its alignment and not be in a bind, particularly if the muffler inlet were cleared out to allow an nice sliding fit as Doc informed us is needed.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #12

Just got back from a 135 mile ride , it was a beautiful day here in Central Indiana, rain is suppose to come in tomorrow . Had a good experience on the ride. As stated in my original post I was concerned about the dual baggers being borderline too loud. Nomads are a little rare in this part of the country , but I was able
to follow one for several miles today that had the baggers on it. The sound was indeed sweet as VulcanCouple said. Not at all too loud , just the right sound , just the right volume. Perhaps the one I hear earlier that I thought was borderline needed the packing replaced or had had the baffles shortened.

Old 10-21-2007, 05:45 PM   #13

You should be very happy with your new pipes, I dont think the mounting has a lot to do with them cracking if you follow the instructions. Mine cracked after about 31,000 miles then again at about 35,000. I put a patch over the pipe after I welded the crack the second time and it seems to be holding up ok so far.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-21-2007, 06:15 PM   #14
Advanced Member

I knew immediately after the test ride taht the stock exhaust would not due for me. So, I ordered the V&H Baggers, had them (and the PCIII) installed and took delivery of the bike that way. I LOVE the sound of the exhaust now. Can really hear the power of the big V-Twin.

DS

Old 10-21-2007, 07:30 PM   #15

COBRA'S rule even thow they sound like super duper quiet honda civics . VH's are made in N. korea