Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #1

Will a Voyager run with the big hogs?

Another local dealer had a non-ABS Voyager, so I thought I'd try it out to compare with the ABS one I rode a few weeks back. This real short test ride was led by a sales guy on a Harley bagger (I'm not an H-D expert so am unsure of model and year). There were a few occasions where under hard acceleration it seemed the Voyager struggled to keep pace with the Harley, though perhaps that could be attributed to my not being familiar enough with a Voyager to get the most out of it.

Assuming many if not most of you ride with folks on H-Ds and others in the 900 lb. bagger/touring segment, do you find it's capable of keeping up? I've seen comments about Ivanizing that suggest "yes" when that's done, but was also wondering about Voyagers in stock form. I'm pretty certain this was a non-Ivanized bike since it seemed kinda rough and pokey at low rpm.

By the way, riding the non-ABS model confirmed I want the ABS model. Braking on the ABS model just seemed much more settled with less reliance on engine braking for me at least.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Toku57; 03-26-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #2

ABS with K-act is even better. Any braking is automatic on front and back at the same time. I did not like it at first, but now I have gotten lazy and rarely use the foot peddle.

Ivan will smooth it out but only 2-3 HP added. An HD 103 it will toast. The new 104s You can hold your own after that you can just about keep up. But that is just with the guys I ride with. Your experience may vary. If you go Big Air Kit, you will gain the most power.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 03-26-2018, 10:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
ABS with K-act is even better. Any braking is automatic on front and back at the same time. I did not like it at first, but now I have gotten lazy and rarely use the foot peddle.

Ivan will smooth it out but only 2-3 HP added. An HD 103 it will toast. The new 104s You can hold your own after that you can just about keep up. But that is just with the guys I ride with. Your experience may vary. If you go Big Air Kit, you will gain the most power.
Yes, the K-ACT system was on the first one I tested a few weeks back and it is awesome. I'll probably just go with a K&N filter or something that I can keep the stock airbox since I like the looks and may find a big air kit too noisy for my tastes. Good to know Voyagers can hold their own though, and with that tall gearing I shouldn't expect super acceleration anyway. But man, that cushy ride will really make me happy.

Last edited by Toku57; 03-26-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:22 PM   #4
Advanced Member

With the reflash and the V&H slip-ons, my '15 is a whole new bike. With the stock HD's I ride with, I have no problems at all running with them and I'm 350 lbs. The upgrade opened my engine up to a whole new world.

The K-ACT is the bomb. You definitely don't want to apply to hard. Stopping power at it's best!

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:52 PM   #5

Just to clarify, K-ACT is ONLY available with ABS. Your only options are non-ABS or ABS/K-ACT, that’s all.

Also, don’t forget that 5th and 6th are both overdrive gears. In stock form those two gears are a little picky about what speed you are going to use them. Once Ivanized they are a LOT more lenient!

The Voyager has plenty of power. I only had the ECU reprogrammed, I’m keeping stock intake and stock pipes and I’m more than happy with it. The biggest improvement comes from doing ECU, intake and pipes, that’s where you see the MOST gain.

I’m more curious why you think the Voyager is somehow inferior to a Harley and why you feel the need to “keep up with the big dogs”?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by BonVoyager; 03-26-2018 at 11:58 PM.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
With the reflash and the V&H slip-ons, my '15 is a whole new bike. With the stock HD's I ride with, I have no problems at all running with them and I'm 350 lbs. The upgrade opened my engine up to a whole new world.

The K-ACT is the bomb. You definitely don't want to apply to hard. Stopping power at it's best!
Does this mean I have to get a bigger bike now?

"Ride hard or stay home" Joe Robinson aka Old Dog, R.I.P

Old 03-27-2018, 04:34 AM   #7

Not sure what a 104 is.

Be careful about the 103 comment, my 2016 FLHP will flat out smoke a 1700 Voyager/Vaquero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
An HD 103 it will toast. The new 104s You can hold your own after that you can just about keep up. But that is just with the guys I ride with. Your experience may vary. If you go Big Air Kit, you will gain the most power.
VBA 936

Old 03-27-2018, 05:47 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Sounds like a challenge to me. Maggie Valley sometime again this year?

Patriot Guard Riders
2015 Voyager
VBA #2993
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:55 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny 606 View Post
Does this mean I have to get a bigger bike now?
I rode my 1500 for a while Sunday evening. I don't know if a can bring myself to selling it. With the RDL seat and the F&S backrest, it sits better than any chair I have in the house. I love that thang. I like the 1700 but it is cut so different, still feels like I"m riding someone elses bike. And it is heavy? This titanium and pvc knees feel it.

Patriot Guard Riders
2015 Voyager
VBA #2993
DAMMIT TOOL:

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonVoyager View Post
Just to clarify, K-ACT is ONLY available with ABS. Your only options are non-ABS or ABS/K-ACT, that’s all.

Also, don’t forget that 5th and 6th are both overdrive gears. In stock form those two gears are a little picky about what speed you are going to use them. Once Ivanized they are a LOT more lenient!

The Voyager has plenty of power. I only had the ECU reprogrammed, I’m keeping stock intake and stock pipes and I’m more than happy with it. The biggest improvement comes from doing ECU, intake and pipes, that’s where you see the MOST gain.

I’m more curious why you think the Voyager is somehow inferior to a Harley and why you feel the need to “keep up with the big dogs”?
Glad to hear Ivanizing helps make those tall 5th and 6th gears more useful. I just forgot to mention K-ACT in my initial post, but know there's no ABS w/o K-ACT. Also I never meant to imply Voyagers are inferior to H-Ds, and said "big hogs" as in the slang term for H-Ds and specifically their bagger and full dress tourers. I was just wondering how the Voyager did performance-wise with other bikes in its class.

Last edited by Toku57; 03-27-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:02 AM   #11

Quote:

Awesome! I might add the V&H at some point too.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:46 AM   #12
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toku57 View Post
Yes, the K-ACT system was on the first one I tested a few weeks back and it is awesome. I'll probably just go with a K&N filter or something that I can keep the stock airbox since I like the looks and may find a big air kit too noisy for my tastes. Good to know Voyagers can hold their own though, and with that tall gearing I shouldn't expect super acceleration anyway. But man, that cushy ride will really make me happy.
You could get Chucksters air intake. It retains the stock cover.
I had one on my Voyager. It uses a round K&N filter.
It is a little noisier than the stock set up but your bike will get all the air it needs.

Old 03-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Not sure what a 104 is.
I meant the 107, My mistake. But The speeds were just my first hand experiences and not to be taken as fact.

Quote:
But that is just with the guys I ride with. Your experience may vary.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 03-27-2018, 11:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Sounds like a challenge to me. Maggie Valley sometime again this year?
May 15-20, I'll be across the street from where we stayed last fall.

Think about something Chuck, The FLHP is the Police bike.

It's not the run of the mill 103, this thing is damn fast.

It surprised me the first time I tried running it out and had a hard time staying in the saddle.

I NEED a backrest!

But come on over in May and bring that KY buddy of yours.

John is coming and another old friend from Charlotte is coming.

Oh, and a bunch of other Vulcan riders will be there too.

Oh Hell, everyone is invited.
VBA 936

Old 03-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #15

Quote:
I rode my 1500 for a while Sunday evening. I don't know if a can bring myself to selling it. With the RDL seat and the F&S backrest, it sits better than any chair I have in the house. I love that thang. I like the 1700 but it is cut so different, still feels like I"m riding someone elses bike. And it is heavy? This titanium and pvc knees feel it.
My MeanStreak will be gone in about 2 weeks, it sold to the first person who looked at it.

Ride that 1700 some more.

I took the Meanie out to top off the tank, and it just doesn't feel the same anymore.
VBA 936