Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Hammy
Front brake. mooooan

2011 vaquero....less than 4000miles. Front brakes are moaning when applied...took to stealer, said possible glazing. roughed em up...went about 8 blocks. bam. the moans back. Plenty of meat on pads n rotor is fine...am i gonna have to get new pads....Moan sounds like when tractor trailers brakes are wearing...but its not a squeal. more a metal mooooan...Any ideas?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to galax83061
Don't worry I think its a Vaquero thing. Mine have done this since about 1000 miles. I took mine to dealer and they were not really concerned about it. I make sure to apply both brakes evenly.
VBA #02024

Old 07-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #3

My 06 Nomad brakes moaned last year. I had some high dollar fancy looking sinter pads put on it. I did not like those and immediately started looking for something else. Ended up buying some off brand pads on ebay for cheap to get me by while I looked. Still riding with them and I like em.

My mechanic told me to bevel the edges of the pads to make them quieter and smoother. I think he was right.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
2011 vaquero....less than 4000miles. Front brakes are moaning when applied...took to stealer, said possible glazing. roughed em up...went about 8 blocks. bam. the moans back. Plenty of meat on pads n rotor is fine...am i gonna have to get new pads....Moan sounds like when tractor trailers brakes are wearing...but its not a squeal. more a metal mooooan...Any ideas?
It's normal, get used to it.
I have replaced rotors, calipers, pads and tried aftermarket pads, they still work and sound the same.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #5

I just brake a little harder to make it quit. I'm almost a 100% front brake guy, so it's not too difficult. I will admit, it does only seem to happen when it has potential to be embarrassing.
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestephens View Post
I just brake a little harder to make it quit. I'm almost a 100% front brake guy, so it's not too difficult. I will admit, it does only seem to happen when it has potential to be embarrassing.
TRUE....was out on a date with a hottie on the skoot, got into some stop-n-go traffic and them darn front brakes just wouldn't shut up. She never said anything so i don't know if she heard them or not. She did ride with me again so...

Anyways as i am a lucky guy to have warped the front rotors on ALL my skoots from "wait till I PASS God THEN BRAKE" kinda riding, i converted my front rotors to semi-floating mounts which has lessened the pulsating affects of warped rotors but as a fringe benefit also reduced noise from the front brakes.

To get a little technical the noise we are hearing is a result of the friction co-efficiient between the pads and the rotors and the harmonics produced into the rotor and wheel hub, and i have seen this many times before.

RACNRAY