Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-09-2015, 01:44 AM   #16

Has anyone pulled their lowers off to see if the bike runs any cooler? Figured I'd ask before trying it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #17
Advanced Member

With the lowers off your engine temp will be higher because their isn't as much air being forced to the radiator. You can see it just by opening and closing the lowers, it will move the needle.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:00 AM   #18
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD's DM Voyager View Post
Has anyone pulled their lowers off to see if the bike runs any cooler? Figured I'd ask before trying it.
I remove my lower fairings whenever outside temp is over 80*, I unbolt the engine gaurds complete with fairings and bolt on Vaquero bars, but not Vaq lower fairings. This is significantly more comfortable on my legs, getting a full blast of ambient air and no heat from the rad or exhaust but the cooling system does have to work harder to keep the engine temperature in spec. The temp gauge reads higher all the time (but never reaches hot) and the fan runs much more. I combine this with a smoked shorty windshield to make for a stunning "Roadglide custom" look and it's a hoot to ride with all that extra airflow.
Since the Nomad and Classic have the same engine and cooling system and no lower fairings I'm sure they operate at the same temps, just no gauge to look at, so no harm in running a bit hotter. In fact, it uses less fuel without the lowers and there is less air turbulence so easier to hear the radio.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:05 AM   #19

You gut's don't know heat until you have owned a 2013 Can am spyder! The new 13 I bought got so hot under the bodywork that it was boiling fuel in the tank! The gas cap would burn you, excessive fumes from the evap system because of the boiling fuel, panels too hot to touch, plastic parts melting including the brake master cylinder (google can am spyder fires) These are the reasons I filed on mine. Summer is not here yet but I bet the Vaquero is nothing like that!

Old 04-10-2015, 01:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
With the lowers off your engine temp will be higher because their isn't as much air being forced to the radiator. You can see it just by opening and closing the lowers, it will move the needle.
Thanks for the info.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #21

I was looking at a new 2015 Voyager at my dealer and it has the KAMS kit already on it, is it now a standard?

Old 04-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #22

My 2012 Voyager has the KAMS kit already installed. I removed the lower fairing/leg shields and saw absolutely no difference in heat/no change in the gauge either. It's just the nature of the beast, you slap on all the extra fairing, etc and naturally it blocks the wind and things heat up. You are trading comfort for a bit of extra heat. I haven't really found it to be excessive tho.....just ride and enjoy

Old 04-11-2015, 01:56 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBO Vaquero View Post
You gut's don't know heat until you have owned a 2013 Can am spyder! The new 13 I bought got so hot under the bodywork that it was boiling fuel in the tank! The gas cap would burn you, excessive fumes from the evap system because of the boiling fuel, panels too hot to touch, plastic parts melting including the brake master cylinder (google can am spyder fires) These are the reasons I filed on mine. Summer is not here yet but I bet the Vaquero is nothing like that!
Yes, or the Ducati aircooled models with high pipes. The Vulcan is very cool in comparison.
Afterburner 4500LM LED headlamp
Ivan's Performance
12 VDC plug-in
BAK Thunder mfg.
Cobra Tri-Flo
2011 Ducati Monster 796
2006 GSXR 600 (track bike)

Old 04-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #24
Top Contributor

I found the "heat issue" to be a non issue for me. I noticed it a couple of times in traffic but that was on a 30c day.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #25
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBO Vaquero View Post
I was looking at a new 2015 Voyager at my dealer and it has the KAMS kit already on it, is it now a standard?
Yes, standard since 2011. I have it on my 2013 and heat is not an issue. Is there heat, yes but not like my 1600 and not like most other big bikes. IMHO.