Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-23-2015, 05:54 PM   #1

POWDER COATING V's PLASTIDIP

I want to have my wheel's coated in a chrome finish,and am wondering if anyone has done either.The powder coating that i have seen is more like a polished aluminium, i have'nt seen the plastidip yet.How did either stand up to tyre change's and general use.Thank's.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-23-2015, 06:12 PM   #2

from my personal experience, I would rather have my wheels powder coated than dipped. im peeling the dip off my bags now and its a pain. the powder coating is less maintenance for sure, more expensive but less maintenance. you will have to dip your wheels about every year or so due to the heat of the brakes and the brake dust will coat the wheels and its a pain to clean. dipping is a cheap alternative about 30 bucks or so for both wheels and if your dealing with snow and salt its just that much worse. this is just from my experience but that's what I would do.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald View Post
from my personal experience, I would rather have my wheels powder coated than dipped. im peeling the dip off my bags now and its a pain. the powder coating is less maintenance for sure, more expensive but less maintenance. you will have to dip your wheels about every year or so due to the heat of the brakes and the brake dust will coat the wheels and its a pain to clean. dipping is a cheap alternative about 30 bucks or so for both wheels and if your dealing with snow and salt its just that much worse. this is just from my experience but that's what I would do.

Thank's for that mate.Christ you bloke's have got it good have'nt you,$30 for 2 wheel's ! The best price that i can find local to me in England is $66 per wheel, same for either Plasticoat or Powdercoat.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:39 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Plastidip on my f150 wheels lasted a few winters just fine, you need a good 7 coats.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg78 View Post
Plastidip on my f150 wheels lasted a few winters just fine, you need a good 7 coats.
I'm surprised you still get the tyre's back on the rim's with amount on them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #6
Advanced Member

A little touch-up every now and again should be expected with plastidip, cheaper alternative, but more maintenance.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:46 PM   #7

A can costs about 6 bucks so if u do it yourself it will take about 3-4 cans to do ur wheels, it took 5 cans to do my whole bike.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #8

Quote:
A can costs about 6 bucks so if u do it yourself it will take about 3-4 cans to do ur wheels, it took 5 cans to do my whole bike.

That's the price you bloke's pay,over here it's $10.24 for http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100ML-PLAS...WThFpbb5FiRF_Q Is it easy to apply,i am no paint sprayer,and does the chrome look like chrome.If so i might give it a go,i could mask the tyre's to save taking them off the rim's too.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #9

to say the least its very forgiving, just keep shaking the can to keep it mixed up, got to remember its liquid rubber coming out. and it goes a good ways, I done my whole bike with trunk and bags with 4 cans and that's putting 6-7 coats on it, don't have to be a artist to put it on. the closer you spray to the surface will give it a glossier finish. the farther away from the surface gives it a rougher look, just depends on what look your going for. hope this helps.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #10

Quote:
to say the least its very forgiving, just keep shaking the can to keep it mixed up, got to remember its liquid rubber coming out. and it goes a good ways, I done my whole bike with trunk and bags with 4 cans and that's putting 6-7 coats on it, don't have to be a artist to put it on. the closer you spray to the surface will give it a glossier finish. the farther away from the surface gives it a rougher look, just depends on what look your going for. hope this helps.

tHANKS MOOSH,I WILL DRINK ON IT

Old 12-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #11

Mick you need to youtube videos on plasti dipping rims. It will give you a better idea on what it is and how it looks.From experience it doesn't look like paint and the glossifier makes it look more like plastic than without it. If you look at my album all the gray on my bike is plastidip.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 12-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #12
Advanced Member

One thing you can try if you want to dip the wheels while tires are mounted on them is use playing cards, put then between the rim and tire all the way around before you spray the dip. It will ensure no over spray on th tires and make a nice edge around the wheel. I've done this before with truck wheels, I don't see why it wouldn't work the same on a bike.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:02 PM   #13

Quote:
One thing you can try if you want to dip the wheels while tires are mounted on them is use playing cards, put then between the rim and tire all the way around before you spray the dip. It will ensure no over spray on th tires and make a nice edge around the wheel. I've done this before with truck wheels, I don't see why it wouldn't work the same on a bike.

When i read the first couple of line's i had you down as a piss taker who does this. Then i thought,no,that cant be right.Can it.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Lol, I did do that.... when I was 4 haha

See attached picture ;)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151228_120614.jpg (9.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by eg78; 12-28-2015 at 12:07 PM.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Lol, I did do that.... when I was 4 haha

See attached picture ;)
That worked out pretty good mate. I just rode around with a couple of peg's & card's hooked up on the bike,making out i had a Brough Superior,probably looking like a twat while i was at it. (my dad said it was ok anyway).