Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-29-2008, 02:17 PM   #16

First Bike Rally vs. Riding

Kris,

Now you need to make up your mind....are you a stupid Norwegian or an old + wise one? You can't be both!

VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #17

In my experience there are rallies, and then there are rallies.

I have gone to Americade a couple of times. That, for those who don't know, Americade an all-makes mostly touring type week-long rally held every year in June in Lake George, NY. Tens of thousands of bikes come during the week of the rally. There are vendors galore, high quality and otherwise. There are vendors who will install purchased items on the spot. There are vendor-sponsored boat rides on the lake. There are conferences, demonstrations, parades. There are group rides and tours all over the area. There are - this is key - demo rides offered by major manufacturers (Victory, Yamaha, Harley, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda,...), and this is about the only chance many of us will get to "ride before you buy" in this neck of the woods. There is an actual rodeo (animals, not bikes). There are fashion shows, lectures, entertainment. There is.........damn near anything.

It isn't Sturgis or Daytona type debauchery. It is a family event. Motels are jammed up for miles around. Call this Rally Type A. (Sturgis and Daytona could be Rally Type B.)

The crowds and the traffic make it a pain in the butt in many, many ways, but the opportunity to see SO many things makes it worthwhile to attend every so often.

But then, I have also gone to events like the Volusia Forum (www.volusiariders.com) Yankee Rally in Hancock, MA. Not thirty thousand bikes: more like thirty. Not vendors galore: no vendors. Just a few dozen enthusiasts (who quickly become friends) gathering for a couple of days to ride together (daytimes), drink beer (nighttimes) and shoot the sh*t ('round the clock). Call this Rally Type C.

I go to Rally Type A maybe every third year. I never go to Rally Type B. I go to Rally Type C as often as I can spare the time.

My advice: look for Type C's. You'll love 'em.
VBA #00794
2011 Vaquero (Ebony)
replaced 2008 Nomad 1600 (Blue/Silver)

Old 09-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #18

our rally in custer next year will be better and i promise some of the best riding in the country.if we keep our focus on the riding
and not so much on the party,we will have a great time.who all
is allready registered at the bavarian???
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 09-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #19
Top Contributor

The biggest rally I have been to is around 100 bikes (Custer VROC 2006). Had a good time. I have wanted to go to Sturgis but have been reluctant to with the mass of people. Just meeting and talking with people is more than half the fun. This year I went to the VROC rally at Lead, SD and there was only 30 people there. However, it was more fun than most other events.

Landman, I am really looking forward to Custer next year. I already have a couple of routes lined up for rides.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 09-29-2008, 03:23 PM   #20
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

Hey to those of you that did the "Chuckanut",
{ schoeney, netnorske }
do you ever continue into the Mt. Baker area? Maybe stop at The Holy Smoke Tavern? When and if you ever plan to do so, PM me ahead of time and if it's a weekend you might want to stop in at my "cabin" for a pit stop. It's just down the road from "the smoke". If I know ahead of time perhaps I could join you for the ride and then hit my place.
Glad you had a good day. I also did a small ride with a bunch of people {20-25 bikes} to, and out through the Fraser Valley stopping for lunch and then a few "pops" before a short ride home to Langley. My first ride with more than a couple of bikes. I'm looking fwd to the ride to Custer next summer and the group rides there. Are you guys going?

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney
Hi Kris and BigJohn,

Glad you had a great ride. This rookie learned a lesson about himself and rally's.
Next year, join us for the "Anti-Oyster Run" And acutally ride.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy ... #00722
{ schoeney, netnorske }
do you ever continue into the Mt. Baker area? Maybe stop at The Holy Smoke Tavern? When and if you ever plan to do so, PM me ahead of time and if it's a weekend you might want to stop in at my "cabin" for a pit stop. It's just down the road from "the smoke". If I know ahead of time perhaps I could join you for the ride and then hit my place.
Glad you had a good day. I also did a small ride with a bunch of people {20-25 bikes} to, and out through the Fraser Valley stopping for lunch and then a few "pops" before a short ride home to Langley. My first ride with more than a couple of bikes. I'm looking fwd to the ride to Custer next summer and the group rides there. Are you guys going?
Rick - Thanks for the invite. Just might have to take you up on it.

As for custer next year, I'm still on the fence about when and where to ride. I've done the BTK Red Lodge run for the past three years and Custer is starting to sound more interesting with each passing day. Just might have to fly Miss Nancy into Soux Falls and ride to pick her up. She mght go for that kind of a trip.

But, in the mean time, I've got to figure out a way to get her to warmth and sunshine in January/February. We'll both need a break from here by then.

Custer, eh? Haven't been through there since I did my MSF Instructor course 30 years ago.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait
In my experience there are rallies, and then there are rallies.
Now, when you put it this way, a type A rally would be something I could get my head around. I do love quality venders and good times w/o the debauchery . Still would have to have an escape planned. ;)
I have gone to Americade a couple of times. That, for those who don't know, Americade an all-makes mostly touring type week-long rally held every year in June in Lake George, NY. Tens of thousands of bikes come during the week of the rally. There are vendors galore, high quality and otherwise. There are vendors who will install purchased items on the spot. There are vendor-sponsored boat rides on the lake. There are conferences, demonstrations, parades. There are group rides and tours all over the area. There are - this is key - demo rides offered by major manufacturers (Victory, Yamaha, Harley, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda,...), and this is about the only chance many of us will get to "ride before you buy" in this neck of the woods. There is an actual rodeo (animals, not bikes). There are fashion shows, lectures, entertainment. There is.........damn near anything.

It isn't Sturgis or Daytona type debauchery. It is a family event. Motels are jammed up for miles around. Call this Rally Type A. (Sturgis and Daytona could be Rally Type B.)

The crowds and the traffic make it a pain in the butt in many, many ways, but the opportunity to see SO many things makes it worthwhile to attend every so often.

But then, I have also gone to events like the Volusia Forum (www.volusiariders.com) Yankee Rally in Hancock, MA. Not thirty thousand bikes: more like thirty. Not vendors galore: no vendors. Just a few dozen enthusiasts (who quickly become friends) gathering for a couple of days to ride together (daytimes), drink beer (nighttimes) and shoot the sh*t ('round the clock). Call this Rally Type C.

I go to Rally Type A maybe every third year. I never go to Rally Type B. I go to Rally Type C as often as I can spare the time.

My advice: look for Type C's. You'll love 'em.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #24
Top Contributor

Quote:
Kris,

Now you need to make up your mind....are you a stupid Norwegian or an old + wise one? You can't be both!
Greg,
Here's how it breaks down:

I'm old enough to hurt in the mornings...even after the nights I don't drink.

I'm wise enough to not make the same mistake more than three times...(okay, maybe only two) ;), but I'm stupid enough to still make them the first time... .

So....that makes me a Wise, Old, Stupid Norwegian... ...!!!!

Cheers....Kris
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 09-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #25
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy ... #00722
{ schoeney, netnorske }
Rick,
Sounds like a great offer. That Mt. Baker area is a beautiful area to ride! I would love to make the run to Custer next summer and if by chance I do, maybe we and BigJohn, if he goes, could ride out together, but...

That would be a three day ride out...three days there....then three days ride home. Not sure I can swing a 9 day bike-riding orgy... !
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 09-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske
Taranis,
We stopped there (Big Lake Bar and Grill) for a great buffet lunch on our way home and there were probably 30 other bikes there!

Just riding in the area of a good rally is all you need to do to be part of it. I hate getting older, but wiser is not such a bad thing... ;)!
Now I'm really homesick! Did you have the sauceless hot-wings? Man, I'd kill for a dozen or so of those and a tall draft Heffe. YUM!
From the front door of the place you can just see the roof of the house I still own out there and used to live in until May. Damn. Small world!

Glad to hear you all had a great time. There are many, many afternoon rides worth your time in that area. The Cascade Loop is one of my favorite weekend adventures. Highway 9 from Arlington, thru Sedro-Wooley to Belllingham is a nice twisty little road too. There's a loop "inside" the Cascade Loop too that is a perfect afternoon get-away also.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 09-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske
Taranis,
We stopped there (Big Lake Bar and Grill) for a great buffet lunch on our way home and there were probably 30 other bikes there!

Just riding in the area of a good rally is all you need to do to be part of it. I hate getting older, but wiser is not such a bad thing... ;)!
Now I'm really homesick! Did you have the sauceless hot-wings? Man, I'd kill for a dozen or so of those and a tall draft Heffe. YUM!
From the front door of the place you can just see the roof of the house I still own out there and used to live in until May. Damn. Small world!

Glad to hear you all had a great time. There are many, many afternoon rides worth your time in that area. The Cascade Loop is one of my favorite weekend adventures. Highway 9 from Arlington, thru Sedro-Wooley to Belllingham is a nice twisty little road too. There's a loop "inside" the Cascade Loop too that is a perfect afternoon get-away also.
\No hot wings this trip. They only had a buffett of salmon, pork and flayed chicken. Considering the mob that was coming through, it was good idea.

Yep, there are some nice rides up here. Love making the CederWillie, Darrington, Arlington loop. Very nice way to pass a pleasent morning.

North Cascades is, well, the North Cascade Highway. Great road, great scinery, and add in good friends and a good meal in Winthrop, what more can you ask for?

Which raises the question, why'd you leave? I've been trying to get up here for 30 years. Company finally landed a project I could handle. Sweet.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #28

Rick, BigJohn, + Kris,

I go up to Bellingham quite a bit to see my daughter but doubt I will be up there on the bike before next spring due to weather. I too want to ride this infamous highway 20. I heard about it from several people that rode it in this weekend.

I also agree that type "C" Rallys sound like fun.

Would love to do Custer but 7-9 days is a stretch for this self employed little business guy that is getting killed by this economy. I need to work to put gas in the Nad. If things are going much better by June I hope to be a late addition but right now it does not look good. But a loop up the coast through Forks, Port Townsend, Anacortes, and out east on Highway 20 to Twisp and Wenatchee sounds like a nice 3-4 day jaunt.

Cheers to all you Northwesterners! Lets get all our KawaNow brothers and sisters to come up here for the 2010 National Rally!.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 09-30-2008, 08:06 AM   #29
Top Contributor

Quote:
Rick, BigJohn, + Kris,

I go up to Bellingham quite a bit to see my daughter but doubt I will be up there on the bike before next spring due to weather. I too want to ride this infamous highway 20. I heard about it from several people that rode it in this weekend.

I also agree that type "C" Rallys sound like fun.

Would love to do Custer but 7-9 days is a stretch for this self employed little business guy that is getting killed by this economy. I need to work to put gas in the Nad. If things are going much better by June I hope to be a late addition but right now it does not look good. But a loop up the coast through Forks, Port Townsend, Anacortes, and out east on Highway 20 to Twisp and Wenatchee sounds like a nice 3-4 day jaunt.

Cheers to all you Northwesterners! Lets get all our KawaNow brothers and sisters to come up here for the 2010 National Rally!.
Hwy 20 is an awesome ride across the North Cascades...one of the best up here. We will have to plan some rides for next summer for sure fellas...and I would second the vote for hosting the 2010 national rally somewhere in the NW region!

Let us know the next time you are riding up this way Greg!
VBA #0691
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

Old 09-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #30

I went to Sturgis in 2006 just to see the deal, went in town the first night and that wound it up, spent the rest of the week, riding the country side. I prefer the smaller rallies, or know ralley at all. I better like riding in a small group of several bikes or, alone more fun for me. I like to enjoy the company of the people I,m riding with, and you can,t always do that in a big crowd. I would go to a kawanow group gathering. Started to Mytrle Beach a couple of times, got very close and then rode around it. Just me.