Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Blindside News from the Northwest (Long)

I have news that many of you will find surprising, some probably not. It surprises me a lot, and there is no real short way to express or explain it other than to kind of start from the beginning. Hopefully by the end of this, everyone will understand how we ended up where we are and how great it feels to finally get there. Upon returning from the Canadian Rockies Rally in Canmore, Alberta last summer, I found myself longing for more top-end power and a sixth, overdrive gear. Although I absolutely loved my 1600 Nomad, it was lacking on both fronts for long, continuous two-up riding. So, I took the plunge and traded it in on a 2012 1700 Voyager.

Those of you who have followed my many posts since that time have understood my desire and efforts to make it a more comfortable cruiser for my wife and I to enjoy. We love riding together, and were thrilled with the additional power and drive-train of the 1700. Both are great improvements over the 1600 Nomad. However, several things have been a recurring source of consternation. In my efforts to lower the bike a bit, I reduced the shock absorption capability, which makes for a rougher ride even on good roads. I am still not as comfortable as I want/need to be while trying to maneuver around in parking lots and such. The reduced storage space of the Voyager Trunk (compared to the Premeux I had on the Nomad), is a compromise as we had become used to being able to pack certain things on long trips.

Most importantly, the amount of passenger space is substantially reduced on the 1700 Nomad/Voyager in comparison to the 1500/1600 Nomad. The addition of a driver’s backrest in the mix makes it nearly impossible for us to be truly comfortable. The lack of a backrest makes it nearly impossible for me to be comfortable on long road trips. This is the dilemma we have been struggling with. We love the increased performance and added features of the Voyager, but feel we have been compromising in the rider/passenger comfort half of the equation. If I was a solo rider or my wife was the size of a twelve year old, the Voyager would suit my needs in a much better way. It is difficult to adjust to once you have been spoiled by the space on a 1600 Nomad.

The Voyager is currently the top of the line touring model in Kawasaki’s stable and as much as I loved my 1600 Nomad, we have found the Voyager personally lacking just enough comfort to give us pause. At our age, with limited years of riding left in us, we cannot justify compromising comfort for the sake of any specific brand of motorcycle, and once you have experienced 1700+ cc’s and a sixth overdrive gear, there is just no going back to a lesser performance package.

Our Voyager was recently paid off and after a long period of serious contemplation, we decided to search for a more perfect motorcycle union. The list was short, and after an almost orgasmic test ride, Tricia and I made the difficult decision to trade our 2012 Voyager. We are now the (soon to be) proud owners of a brand new 2013 Victory Cross-Country Tour, one of the most comfortable, dynamic motorcycles I have ever ridden. I spent the better part of Saturday afternoon at the dealership working out the numbers, accessories and getting pre-approval on a loan. Everything is done at this point except to actually sign on the dotted line and ride her home. I am buying the beautiful Boardwalk Blue one.

For those wondering to yourself if I even test rode a Voyager before I purchased one, the answer to that is yes, a couple of times. Both were solo rides, first in Cortez at the SW Rally a few years ago when they had just come out. A rally attendee had one and was letting people ride it, so I gave it a try. The second was just prior to buying my Voyager. I ticked off in my head as I rode it the things I could do to mitigate a few minor issues, but what I could not foresee, was how adding a drivers backrest would so negatively impact the comfort level of both my wife and I by further reducing the already reduced space.

I looked closely at the XCT when I purchased the Voyager, but the price difference at the time was more than I wanted to owe. I did not foresee being able to pay off my Voyager loan balance in eight short months or I probably just would have gone that route to begin with. The Voyager came in at a good in-between price range, but I knew even then it was only a stepping stone to the more high-end line of bikes.

I did not at all anticipate taking this step in such a short period of time, but the dealership where I bought my Voyager is also the local Victory dealer, so they were helpful in making a smooth transition and were more than fair on the trade-in value of my barely broken-in Voyager. Of course I still took a hit on depreciation, but never-the-less, the answer to the question of whether we would be ultimately happy on the Voyager for the long term was an obvious sign that the change needed to be made, regardless of the financial considerations.

This being a Kawasaki forum, I am not going to rave about all the creature comforts and design improvements of the XCT, but the exceptional handling of the bike absolutely blew me away. It is like riding a touring version of a Ninja. The Freedom 106 motor simply rocks, kicking out roughly 90 hp. It has pulling power beyond that of the Voyager in the higher ranges, and with a 5.8 gallon fuel capacity, you can cover some serious ground before making pit stops. This is a bike I think we will love for a very long time to come. If I sound like a teenager who just got his first knob job, quite honestly, I feel like it too!

Obviously, purchasing a motorcycle outside of the Kawasaki family means that I must resign my position as the NW Region Leader for the VBA. Since 2008 I have very much enjoyed playing a special role in the development of KawaNOW, (now the VBA), doing everything I could to grow the organization and increase awareness for all Vulcan Bagger owners. I have made friends here that will last a lifetime and have enjoyed helping to plan some great gatherings in some awesome locations. But all good things come to an end and the time has come for someone else to step up and take the reins of the NW group into the VBA future. I have made Trip aware of this development, but asked that he wait for this post to make any further announcements. It has been both an honor and a pleasure to serve.

I have kept virtually everyone in the dark about this impending move with one exception. I have chosen to do so because it is a personal decision based on what our own true needs are as we embark on our golden years of riding. I also know how much you all enjoy sharing your opinions and did not need the debate to rage on, although I also know you are a very supportive group regardless. At the end of the day, we needed a motorcycle that fills the bill in every category, and as much as it pains me to say it, the Voyager just left us too underwhelmed to consider keeping it for the long term. Once that decision was reached, the rest happened fairly quickly.

Some of the accessories I added to the Voyager will remain on the bike at trade. Others you will find for sale on this or other forum boards at a great price in the very near future. The Voyager is a fine motorcycle for anyone built to fit it a little bit better than we are. We gave it every opportunity to learn to love it, she is a sexy beast after all, but eventually it was like dating a girl you just knew you weren’t going to marry. We found the XCT to be right in our wheelhouse as far as comfort, features, ergos, cargo space and exceptional performance and handling. It was simply love at first ride. Best of all, I can put both feet flat on the ground. I am looking forward to many happy miles aboard our new steed and as you might imagine am so very excited about the upcoming riding season.

I am still planning to lead a group from the NW down to the VBA National Rally in Estes Park this June, if only to keep BD from being the main attention whore getting all the love (and/or grief) for his own new XCT! I will involve myself in the Victory groups and forums as a way to learn more about this extremely impressive motorcycle and the people around me who ride them, but you can bet that I will keep poking my head in here just to see what you knuckleheads are up to. Lastly, it is true what they say about those new Victories. If you ride one, you will own one. So if you are not prepared to drop 25-27K on a new ride, DO NOT ride one!

Anyways, this has been way too long a post…you’d think Spring would be here by now….!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #2

Everyone knows a person has to feel comfortable on their motorcycle.

The Cross Country is a great motorcycle. I saw my first one up close when Gibby and I met up for a two-day ride in August 2011. He loves his.

Have fun Kris!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 02-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #3

Smile

Good luck with the new ride. The room was an issue for us as well so I moved the trunk back 3". That worked out fine until my wife test rode a 2012 Spyder RT Limited. Now I'm solo on the Voyager!

Old 02-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #4

It is truly sad to see you leave the Kawasaki family. I hope that you, like Scott, and a few others, continue to stick around and participate on the forum and at the rallies.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #5

Kris: that you ride it is far more important than what you ride. I love my 1600 Nomad and I dont think a finer motorcycle could be bought anywhere for $12000 back in 07. But if you are willing to spend $25k you can get better motorcycles. In life with just a little common sense you do get what you pay for.
2010 Titanium Goldwing
2014 KLR 650 New Edition

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Kris, I am really glad for you. After all, it really doesn't matter what you ride as long as it is suited for you. Over a brand name, the most important factor is whether or not you can enjoy the ride.

On a side note, if I had the money available a new XCT might be sitting in my garage now as well, and it would be the Blue!

Enjoy the ride!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 02-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #7

Well, I'm a newbie here, but have read many of your post and for that I say "Thank You".
May your ride be safe and end in peace.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 PM   #8

Congratulations on the new bike, I am sure you will be very happy with the handling and performance. See you in Estes Park.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 02-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
It is truly sad to see you leave the Kawasaki family. I hope that you, like Scott, and a few others, continue to stick around and participate on the forum and at the rallies.
my thoughts exactly ! enjoy the new ride kris and thanks for your service and dedication to the northwest region.with my luck you will probably offer
me a test ride
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 02-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #10

Kris I looked at the Voyager last year thinking about moving Up to it from my 1600 but I just did not feel comfortable on it like I do on the Nomad I know how you feel about feet on the ground that is the reason I am riding a Nomad now had a BMW k100rt and when stopped at a red light was on my toes not for me. I loved the way the BMW rode after I was moving but not big enough for me and wife and like you said if you are not happy you will not ride as much so enjoy your XCT and do not be a stranger

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #11

Kris, are you converting a Boardwalk to XCT or XCTs come in a custom colour called Boardwalk Blue? What's going on here?

I really like the 106 ci motor on these bikes
(from the looks and from what I read) and I've already signed up for a test ride in April.

Well, I'm happy for you and your wife. Enjoy your new Victory!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #12

Congrats on the Victory and thanks for your time w the VBA. We haven't met but hope to meet you at Estes. I hope you and your lady enjoy many miles together on your new ride
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Old 02-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #13

In one way I am sorry to hear of your change of heart, it seemed such a short time ago you were bubbling with pride over the Voyager purchase. On the other hand, if it was not the right fit for you and your wife and the XCT is then better to bite the bullet and move on ASP. Congrats Chris. Now this could to turn into a photo session war between you and BD. Does my new Victory make me look better dressed than Brad??? or something similar.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #14

Congratulations again Kris! Ive never heard nothing but great praise about the Victory bikes, everyone raves about the power and handling.
Ive never ridden one yet, but hope to try one someday.
Good luck and enjoy the new bike!

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Kris, are you converting a Boardwalk to XCT or XCTs come in a custom colour called Boardwalk Blue? What's going on here?

I really like the 106 ci motor on these bikes
(from the looks and from what I read) and I've already signed up for a test ride in April.

Well, I'm happy for you and your wife. Enjoy your new Victory!
Boardwalk Blue is a color, The Boardwalk is a model that replaced the Kingpin.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally