Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #1

Crossing over I have ?

My tire has come in today going to mount tomorrow . Whats the best way to balance the new dunlop sp 5000 ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Crossing over I have ?

Dyna Beads IMHO.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Crossing over I have ?

used wheel weights on mine, using 2 jack stands and a lot of patience to find heavy spot. actually took longer to balance than to mount. may take off wheel weights and go to dyna beads. used them in my front, and they seem to be fine. im sure Mac will chime in on his balancing, or the lack thereof, that he needed to do. be patient getting the feel of your tire, also some of these tires have a lot of mold release on them, take it easy on the first hundred miles or so til that crap is worn off. you will enjoy your tire.
as a side note, i ran my sp 5000 at 36 psi out to sturgis ( worried bout heavy load) and ate up a bunch of my center, running it at that much psi. have backed my down to 30 now and will see how it handles. good luck! welcome to the Darkside!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Crossing over I have ?

Dynabeads.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #5

Crossing over I have ?

The shop that mounted mine used wheel weights.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Crossing over I have ?

DynaBeads.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 09-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #7

Crossing over I have ?

Where do I get the beads ?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Crossing over I have ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kaw1500
Where do I get the beads ?
Here's one place:

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 09-01-2009, 10:14 PM   #9

Crossing over I have ?

Thanks. I'll be geting the beads soon.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Crossing over I have ?

Another place is http://www.whitehorsepress.com/

Before you do anything else get the parts you need all in hand.

You NEED to service the rear end NOW, that means drop the swing arm and service it, which is done at 7,000 by the book!

You need 2 swing arm seals, and 2 head to head pipe exhaust gaskets.
You also need a new cottor pin for the axel.

If you are hand changing the tire you need a car a jack, some wooden blocks to break the tire beads, and tire spoons, and some milk jug plastic to protect the wheel. An apple crate box or joint compound bucket is handy as a tire changing bench too.

The tire has a yellow target like series of circles painted on one side. This IS the light spot on this tire. Reminds me of an archery target.

This target spot IS aligined with the valve stem. With the tire off the wheel you should inspect the valve stem and perhaps turn it 180 degrees while you are there. Doing so makes it a little easier to inflate the tire on the bike.

Gettong the wheel off is bout 1/2 way to servicing the swing arm and greasing the bearings in the swing arm, also to check that U JOINT. There are several places where new moly grease should be applied and the rear pinion shaft seal should be checked for any signs of leaking!

The wheel itself will need molly grease at the splines, as well as the splines on the gear box.

Both ends of the drive shaft need molly grease as well.

All 3 spacers need grease inside, out side and on the ends as does the long pivot bolt. I use a stiff Marinie grease there.

This limits side to side slop on the swing arm, and prevents water from entering, to rust up the bolt spacers and swing arm tube.

With the tire mounted on the wheel check ballance your self.

Stuff the axel thru the wheel and support the axel on something. I used 2 jack stands with wooden block cut out to fit.

I just took a short hunk of 2x4 and drilled a hole thru it the size of the axel 2 times.... Then I sawed the blocks in 1/2's.

Then I clamped the bocks on the axel and sat them on jack stands.

I spun my tire about 50 times marking the tire on a side when it stopped at mid night, which when after all the marks became in one place would show the LIGHT Spot.

My tire stopped randomly, and showed no heavy spot , but I installed 2 oz of beads anyway.

To fit the tire on the bike again it will need to have NO air in it...

With air the tire is a bit too wide.

I sit on the floor and use my legs and kness to lift the tire.

To seat the tire on the wheel USE no more than 52 psi to seat it. Mine put up a fight, and it took levering the tire some at 5 tries to get the bead of the tire to seat.

If possible place the tire in a hot place a while, like maybe in the car in the sun...

Do not be adding 100's of psi to get the tire to seat by hand.. If that tire comes to pieces it will bust you UP!

This is one place no one better cheat and cut corners on, as it can and will cost you your LIFE!

Skippng the swing arm service is the same way! If you have a bad U Joint it may well cost the bike and your life.

I suppose that depends on how well you can ride backwards

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #11

Crossing over I have ?

I need to try those dyna beads. Everyone likes 'em...
Ya'all just need to pick up a little tire machine off the side of the road with a bead breaker like I did. Man, is that thing a life saver! Forget sledges and blocks of wood!
Far as seating the bead, a little dish soap never hurts, and I've used about 60-70 lbs of air many a time. Although never on a motorcycle tire, just cars. Maybe I'm nuts? *shrugs

Old 09-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Crossing over I have ?

I used to work on big rigs every so often at a shop acoss from mine. I have seen a few tires come undone in a cage and it isn't pretty. A CT will be somewhat more dedicated to not getting set on the bead at times.. Rather than bull and whip them into place, I find it better to cox them and make adjustments.

When you want to bull something around it is far wiser to have what ever that might be a lot smaller than you are. The big stuff can and may fight back..

It is a good idea to test for ballance before just dumping things in tires and or adding weights..

In life I tend to use the smallest tool that will do the job. I don't like starting out with the very biggest one at the get go.

Once you remove 1,001 snapped off exhaust studds after another guy used a too big a tool it comes to you why...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 09-03-2009, 08:46 AM   #13

Crossing over I have ?

Tire mounted It looked to big when I picked it up from tire shop. But it fit like a glove looks good and rides smooth. Every thing went good during the install and remount . Thanks for the info.

Old 09-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #14

Crossing over I have ?

Excellent advise macmac, and '04, sometimes you can find those dynabeads at a local tire installer. I think that Dynabeads website has a feature that allows you to find a dealer close to you on theor page, it might save you a couple bucks shipping if you buy local. Like mac said, service that swingarm, lots of guys have found that tose bearings are dry from the factory. Do it for your own peace of mind.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #15

Crossing over I have ?

Just to chime in, dynabeads.