Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #1

Idle out of whack

While on a road trip in california, had to use some regular gas in the 07 1600 Nomad. Started it up and the idle was way high, wife wanted to get out of the very strange little station we were at, so we went down the road with the idle high. I pulled over and turned the idle down to a more regular pitch. After getting back to civilization, i syphoned out remaining fuel and got premium back in it. It has never idled normally after the regular gas since. cant get the idle lower, no matter how much i turn the idle adjuster. Former Nomad owner i ran into, noticed that one side of exhaust has more pressure and rougher than the other side, this is the front cylinder. Rips down the road real nice, but come to a stop, or shifting the idle is off. Ran a can of Seafoam through it with no change. Had heard that being in California could be the high ethanol, but back home now in washington and she still isnt the same....Any thoughts, or similar experiences? I do have the Dobek EJK on it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-20-2016, 01:59 PM   #2

Clean your throttle body real good and run some seafoam in the gas.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #3

What Bob said....got a bad tank going to NOLA....nice station...
Crappy fuel though....
Doesn't hurt the bike to run the seafoam, one of the best things you can do. Alot of times, its the injector body right behind the butterflys, just get some long qtips and put some carb cleaner on it and clean the bores in there really well....though usually that problem is associated with having to constantly adjust your idle....
If the back cylinder keeps giving you some problems after I say a couple of bottles of seafoam and after you clean the throttlebody, something else is amiss.
Just to check easy stuff first, make sure your tuner connections are still tight and clean. If thats good, pull one of your plugs out of the back cylinder, to see if its running lean or rich. If its lean, you might've sucked in some of that really fine mess and fouled your rear injector. That would be a worse case scenario though.
I wouldn't suggest messing with it yourself unless your a decent mechanic, let the dealer mechanic or a good friend who is one change it out.
How long has it been since you changed plugs? You could try pulling both plugs out, give them a good cleaning, regap them, and reinstall. I would try that before pulling the injector....
When you clean your injector body, make sure your throttle is closing all the way also, though I doubt it. Check it just to be sure, you never know....
I would think with the high idle, and that rear cylinder acting wonky, your running lean....because of trash in the injectors

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 08-20-2016 at 03:27 PM.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:34 PM   #4

Problem solved !

Thanks to a clue deep inside this site I started to look at some things. I started with taking my K&N aircleaner off, and there was the problem. One of the caps to the vacuum line i think, had come off and was laying in the aircleaner. Thank God it hadn't gotten sucked into the throttle body. It is a Chuckster kit, and came with the caps to plug the solenoid lines. Put it back on with some high temp silcone, put the idle back to where it sounds right, purring nicely. Pulled it off while idling and oh ya, that kicked up the idle just like it did that day. Sure wish i had taken that cleaner off a week ago. So now, to fix the LED turn signal/running lite/brake lite that decided to quit working 2 days after the idle issue. That is obvious though, wires broke at the LED plate, need a new one.....Adversity will introduce the man to himself.....

Old 08-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #5

Glad it was a simple fix. Mine had a vacuum cap come off once too, I have the Thunder mfg. intake. I solved my problem by removing both of those tubes, and machined some plugs to press into the back of the throttle body where the other end of the hoses go, and sealed the two holes on the back of the intake with some snap in plugs.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #6

Good idea Cliff, i'm contemplating a more permanent type fix for that.....

Old 08-22-2016, 05:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadbro? View Post
Good idea Cliff, i'm contemplating a more permanent type fix for that.....
I had that happen once.

Then one of the times I had the engine out and pulled apart, I found some brass caps ans soldered them on.

I doubt they'll ever come off again.

If you ever have your throttle body off you'll be surprised at how many you can actually remove.

There are only 2 or 3 left on mine.

MT
VBA 936

Old 08-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #8

There have been a few issues with caps coming off on the dual plates. I had the same problem and fixed it as in this thread, see the pic I posted there,

http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showt...ers+dual+plate

It's more likely a flaw in how I first installed the caps, not the design. I just opted for a heftier fix and it's easy to remove or replace. No problems since.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad