Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #1

Installed My Freedom Performance Exhausts

These babies are badass. Sorry for the sideways video. You should hear them in person

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Advanced Member

DAAAANG. Those sound pretty sweet even in the video. Are those full pipes or slip-ons? I may have to look those up...........very nice

BTW.........did you have to do anything to the carb with these pipes?

Dave
Rockford Fosgate Punch PEQ Equalizer
Garmin Nuvi 4555 GPS Unit
Kawasaki Aux Light Kit
Ipod Kit w/4th Gen Ipod
Laam Custom Seat w/modified Backrest
Avon Grips w/RACNRAY's mod
Aluminum Mirror Risers
Clearview Large Windshield
Chuckster Trailer Hitch
12v accessory plug
VROC Member #36236

"I have not failed, I just found 10,000 ways that won't work" - Thomas A. Edison

Last edited by 0vationdave; 12-19-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0vationdave View Post
DAAAANG. Those sound pretty sweet even in the video. Are those full pipes or slip-ons? I may have to look those up...........very nice

BTW.........did you have to do anything to the carb with these pipes?

Dave
I thought the Vaquero was fuel injected.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 12-19-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Advanced Member

It is, but this is my first FI bike, and I wasn't sure if there was any mods necessary if you swapped pipes or mounted slip-ons. Sorry, my ignorance.....

Dave
Rockford Fosgate Punch PEQ Equalizer
Garmin Nuvi 4555 GPS Unit
Kawasaki Aux Light Kit
Ipod Kit w/4th Gen Ipod
Laam Custom Seat w/modified Backrest
Avon Grips w/RACNRAY's mod
Aluminum Mirror Risers
Clearview Large Windshield
Chuckster Trailer Hitch
12v accessory plug
VROC Member #36236

"I have not failed, I just found 10,000 ways that won't work" - Thomas A. Edison

Old 12-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #5

These are definitely bad azz pipes and with all the exhausts I have had the opportunity to sample sound-wise, the best sounding of all.

Last week we did a custom map on a Vaq with the Freedom True Duals, K&N and PCV. I DO NOT have runs of this skoot in stock trim so I don't know what this skoot started out with. All these skoots are mass produced and power and torque varies wildly.

That being said it made slightly less power thru-out the rev band than a Vaq we did a few weeks ago with the same mods crept with V&H slip-ons. There was also a large difference in the numbers required to achieve my target a/f ratio.

I made my follow up call to the owner Monday to make sure there were no problems and to get feedback, he is noticing a glitch at 1800 rpm. I looked back at my dyno session and don't see anything unusual. so hopefully he'll be in today so we can figure this out.

No doubt bad azz looking pipes with the best sound so far with from what I can see comparable power to V&H slip-ons.

I'll keep u'all posted.

RACNRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #6

Love those pipes. Too bad they came out after I've invested insane amount into V&H slip ons and cerakoting them to black color :( Are those NJ plates??

Old 12-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #7

does sound good no body can say it does not

Old 12-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Advanced Member

sounds good, how bout a pic or two of them on the bike, sideshots

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 12-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #9

Finally!

Glad to see others getting the Freedom pipes.

I have had mine for over a year and a half. Thought I was the only one going with these.

Don't care for chrome pipes on a blacked out motor, looks to Harleyish.

Good luck with them!

Ray when you get the other guys FP's dialed in let me know what your mapping looks like.

Thanks Rsweat49

Old 12-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #10

I am on vacation and have not had a chance to call the owner since we did the mapping. I brought his # with me and will call him tomorrow to get feedback.

RACNRAY

Old 12-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Great pipes!

Old 01-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #12

Ray you see any merit in picking up the Freedom Performance kit and ditching the V&H slip ons? I heard they also make a set of 2 into 1 pipes...anyone see that?

Old 01-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by element80 View Post
Ray you see any merit in picking up the Freedom Performance kit and ditching the V&H slip ons? I heard they also make a set of 2 into 1 pipes...anyone see that?
OK...here is what I know bout the FP duels. First, it is gonna be extremely difficult to route the tubing in a different manner to equalize the lengths. Take a close look at how the tubing is routed and you will see it just ain't gonna be easy.

That brings in some points about this exhaust. On the 1700's stock exhaust and most exhausts there is a collector(where the tubing from the exhaust ports, also known as the primary tubes, all connect together). This collector and the length of the primary tubes are purty important to engine performance. Longer primary tubes = lower rpm where peak torque occurs, shorter primary tubes = higher rpm where that peak torque occurs. Equal length primary tubes will allow all the cylinders to achieve peak torque at roughly the same rpm, unequal length primary tubes will cause the cylinders to achieve their peak torque at different rpm spreading that torque over a broader rpm range but it will not be as high of a number as an equal length system.

The collector also aids each cylinder to "help" the other cylinder(s) vacate it's(their) exhaust gasses, a scavenging affect. There are also pressure waves that travel TOWARDS the engine that have an affect on engine performance.

So with this exhaust there is no collector. We have an EXTREMELY long system. We also have a HUGE difference in the lengths of the individual cylinder's exhaust.

What does this translate into? First the mapping MUST be for each individual cylinder. My first attempt to map my customer's Vaq with the duals I performed it in my normal manner, getting an "average" for the 2 cylinders. The engine was not happy and neither was he, nor I. Redoing the mapping in the "advanced" mode allowed me to get it right, removing the areas of poor performance. In this remap I was able to see the big difference in each cylinders a/f requirement. The numbers are so "off" as compared to what I have seen before, showing me the affect the different lengths od the exhaust have on the engine.

In comparing this skoot with another Vaq that has V&H s/o and the same K&N a/f, the FP skoot shows a consistent power loss from the beginning of the dyno run up to about 4000 rpm, with a loss of 2.6 HP and 4.8 pnds torque as the biggest difference. From 4000 to 4600 the 2 are matched, and from there to the end of the dyno run the FP loses again and has a pronounced drop-off in power in the higher rpm area, with a max loss of 2.6 HP.

One more thing, as a dyno owner/operator for over 20 years I really do value performing dyno runs on completely stock skoots BEFORE anything is done performance wise. The FP exhaust had already been installed on this Vaq so I can't say 100% what I am seeing is ONLY the result of the FP exhaust or also influenced by 2 different skoots and the power each one produces. These skoots are mass-produced and I cannot ignore the possibility of differences in engine power output.

One thing is for sure, this FP system is really cool looking with NO DOUBT the best sounding system I have heard. They did ALOT of work on producing a sound that is second to none, PERIOD.

I don't think that an exhaust system like this one that does not have a collector (or at least a crossover tube), has big differences in the lengths between the 2 cylinders and being a very long system in overall length will offer performance gains over really good straight thru s/ons like V&H. No doubt this is better than a stock exhaust, and if you value the looks and sound (the sound IS truly awesome) over max power gain, this system is truly a winner in those areas.

Hopefully I will get a stock 1700 in the shop where I can perform baseline dyno runs and THEN install the FP True Duals, then I can more accurately assess where the advantages and disadvantages of this system are.

RACNRAY

Old 01-14-2014, 12:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
OK...here is what I know bout the FP duels. First, it is gonna be extremely difficult to route the tubing in a different manner to equalize the lengths. Take a close look at how the tubing is routed and you will see it just ain't gonna be easy.

RACNRAY

that's kind of what i figured...i'm holding out for a 2 into 1 set up

they claim to be working on one

Hello Trey…We do not have a 2 into 1 system for your Vaquero at this time. We hope to engineer a 5 step 2 into 1 for your bike in a few months. It’s a wise move to install a true performance exhaust system on your Vaquero! The stock header pipes are only 1 ¾ diameter, much too small for your “BEAST” of an engine. 1 ¾ diameter tubing is more suited for 883 or 1200 cc Sportster motors. Sadly the US EPA forces the manufacturers of new bikes to use this “constipated” small size tubing. This means, if you bought slip-ons, they would also be a smaller diameter baffle , (regardless of what famous brand or cost) mostly 1 ¾ or 2 inch diameter. Again, adding to the “constipation!” Attached is a bit of SERIOUS technical information and a few photos of our 2010-2013 VULCAN-VAQUARO true dual PERFORMANCE system. These also fit the VULCAN VOYAGER! This 5 step system is the ONLY way we could get this engine to perform correctly without restriction or “constipation” as we call it .Freedom Performance is PROUD to offer the WORLDS FIRST and ONLY 5 STEP KAWASAKI performance true dual exhaust system! The header pipes are increased 3 times from 1 ¾ to 1 7/8 to 2 inch..The 3 steps are engineered on a computer and dyno for ANTI-REVERSION, full range TORQUE and OPTIMAL HORSEPOWER! Freedom’s baffles are NOT one diameter SMALL 1 ¾ or 2 inch tubes! The ” RACING SERIES” slip-ons contain the WORLDS ONLY 2 STEPPED “POWERTHRUST” baffles! (photo attached ) Engineered with 2 steps from 2 ½ inch to 3 inch diameter to allow for the first time, the intense heat and gases to EXPAND. They EXPAND from 2 ½ inch into the 2nd larger 3 inch inside cooler chamber! (NO CLOGGED CONSTIPATION!) Incredible state of the art engineering! This 2 stepped baffle produces EXTRA performance, UNMATCHED sound,( deep throaty Harley roar) SERIOUS BACK PRESSURE and THRUST! NOTICE THE CLEAN LOOK of the AWESOME one piece heat shields, (220 degree coverage) NO BLUEING HERE! Features include removable baffles, (optional quiet baffles available) and your choice of chrome or black swivel end caps.. EZ bolt on to all 2010- 2013 models. PROUDLY ALL AMERICAN MADE with only UNITED STATES steel tubing. There is NO COMPETITION on this masterpiece of ENGINEERING, QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, or SOUND! Please call me direct for more information or to order. We thank you for the opportunity to earn your business. One of our recent buyers Tim Diekman, just posted his bike on YouTube, check it out. Best Regards, Ben FranklinInternational Sales & Events Manager - Freedom Performance ExhaustEmail: BEN@freedomperform.comPh: 310-324-0415 x 1010, 7 AM - 3 PM (PDT), Fax: 310-532-3584

Old 01-14-2014, 11:04 PM   #15

Wow, Really nice to see an informative and thorough email from this company. It also answers the question, "will it fit the Voyager as well" and according to the email, yes it does. So, I think Ill be saving a few $$ more and order these. More for looks and sound than performance. I will be selling my set of Cobra slash cut s/o's.
Thanks for sharing the info.
Frank

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
VBA #02229