Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Old 04-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #1

octane rating?

i'm an auto tech, since 1987, octane ratings do not seem to make much of a difference on cars , but will it hurt to use 89 or 92 octane instead of 95 as manual shows?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #2

octane rating?

this was a long conversation last summer. Generally I try to use the highest octane fuel I can get without buying premium or ethanol. Ethanol is NOT recommended for our machines. You really should be able to run regular. Run the lowest octane you can without getting any pinging or preignition. The octane rating should not become an issue for you unless you have mods or until temps get really hot outside. I have a fuel processor so I have adjusted mine so that I can run regular. I installed it because of my intake modifications.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #3

octane rating?

Hey Gordy... Welcome aboard...

Regarding octane... this has been a long and ongoing conversation as you can imagine.

OP has given you a good answer; although I am not sure about the Ethanol statement. OP could be right on that; however, where I live... you couldn't avoid it half the time and my bike ran just fine on it -- except on hotter days -- then it just didn't seem to matter what you used.

I would continue to use what the manufacturer recommends (higher octane) until you have completed your research and are comfortable in going against what is recommended -- because, let's face it... any damage you do is out of YOUR pocket ;)

However, you could look on the other boards such as the Nomad Garage here on KawaNOW's main page; and ask to bring this conversation up again. You'll get more exposure to your question on that board rather than here on your region's board.

While we are more than happy to add our comments... you'll find more people nation-wide will see your question on the "garage" board -- because mostly only those living in our region check-in on the North Central Region's board.

Another idea would be to do a search on the subject. Although many complain about the search feature on this board, you might still find what you need.

AND FINALLY.... are you aware of our regional rally in July? Maybe you are able to show... let us know if you can and need directed to where there is more information about it.

Again... welcome aboard. I think overall, you'll find a good group of well-intended people on this site.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 04-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #4

octane rating?

Octane is needed to keep your engine from knocking and pinging.
If it doesn't ping with regular 87 then using 91 octane isn't any advantage at all. It doesn't hurt to use the higher grade of fuel but its money down the drain if it is not needed.
Here in Canada our premium gas is about 15 cents a litre higher than regular, it makes about a three dollar difference in a tank of gas.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-29-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

octane rating?

The 1600 Nomad calls for 90 or better octane. Mine pings with 89. As far as ethanol goes, all american cars manufactured in the last 20 years have to be able to use up to 10% ethanol. IS that a good thing? I am against ethanol for a few reasons. One, it costs more to make than it is worth, you get worse mileage with it, and ethanol is harder on fuel systems with metal parts. It's corrosive and it's hygroscopic and hydrophilic. It absorbs water. Not a good thing too, and it degrades quickly.

When I went to the black hills and ran fuel without ethanol, my Nomad went from 36-38mpg to 40-43. That's significant. Same with my suburban when we went to Colorado last month. I actually got 19-20mpg at 75mph without ethanol. 16-17 with it. E85 is like 13-14 at best, and as bad as 10. If you burn more fuel, how is that producing less emissions? It isn't. It's a lie to prop up corn farmers, but hey, I know I am going against the grain here, especially since I live in Iowa now, but it's true.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #6

octane rating?

Welcome aboard, Gordy! Glad you could be with us.

Maybe see you in Prairie du Chien, WI in July? We'd sure like to meet you in person!

Concerning ethanol, the drawbacks I've noticed is a drop in mileage and it does not seem to keep it's strength over a period of a few months. I've got a problem with my boat motors now because of old gas. But my Nomad has never pinged with it. BnG

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Old 05-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #7

octane rating?

Yes I should have given more info on my no ethanol recommendation. I use it in my car all the time, 10%, nearly exclusively. I also burn alot more gas in my car. I like the added alcohol, as it does burn clean. I like ethanol gas just not in my bike or any small engine equipment. It does not last. The alcohol breaks down much faster than gasoline. My general rule is to get the highest octane I can get without buying ethanol. Sometimes that is 90+ premium and sometimes it is 87 regular. I have TFI so it doesn't matter for me. I always put non-ethanol premium in for winter. I am lucky though the gas station 1 block away has 92 octane no ethanol premium.