Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
I just attempted to install the K&N Filter. For everyone that responded "mine fits", I challenge you to take a second look. If you install the top screw and pinch the side bolt hole area to the housing as if the dog bowl was installed, you will soon discover an issue. Both top corners bow outward and do not contact the foam gasket that is in the housing groove. The OEM filter does this ever so slightly too. The K&N fits terrible. There has to be a ton of unfiltered air pass by it.
Nope, fits like the stock one!!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #17

There is a possibility the air box is defective.

BUT, the OEM filter fits much better.

Again, this has been mentioned by others in reviews.

I have a reply from K&N and am sending them the info. Stay tuned.

Last edited by H8BUGZ; 03-27-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:47 PM   #18

Just installed mine last weekend, Didn't take notice to anything not seating properly or being flimsy! K&N KA-1709. There was a slip of paper that came along with filter telling me not to over tighten the two top bolts because this will cause the filter not to seat properly!

Old 04-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #19

top screw

How can you over tighten a screw that goes through a steel bushing? You cannot distort the filter as it "floats on the bushing. I have another filter coming and will inspect it further.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #20

My new Vaquero came with an "oiled element" filter, can't really see the benefit of the K&N except being able to clean it??

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-09-2015, 09:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanrider View Post
Nope, fits like the stock one!!!!
I checked both the OEM and K&N filters top edges with a straight edge (the same one I use to check cylinder head warpage). I also checked the air box for warp. Everything is good until you install the filter.

The corners of the K&N do not compress into the foam gasket correctly in the corners. The K&N has no lip and you can see the foam gasket. You can push the corner in 1.5 mm before it touches the foam.

The K&N filter has the exact dimensions as the OEM. 5mm thick at the top bushing hole. I initially thought that the bushing was too short and distorting the filter, but actually the bottom bushings are not long enough either. You can easily over tighten the bottom dog bowl bolts as there is no definite stop. (OEM has bushings built into filter)You are just sandwiching the filter between the housing and the outer cover (dog bowl). The bottom two screws can easily lever the top corners outward even more if you over tighten them. A K&N that's been installed for a while will have the top tab warped inward from the additional pressure.

I can see how you would tighten the top screw and think nothing about it from there. I too replaced the first filter with no concerns. I only discovered this from an online review when contemplating the K&N purchase, and believe me it's true.

Positives 1. more air flow
2. can be cleaned and reused

Negatives 1. may never stop dripping oil into air box ( wiped it out several times)
2. air box seals swell from being oil soaked
3. can easily be distorted from over tightening
4. bottom dog bowl bolts won't stay tight (bottom bushings too short-won't bottom out)
5. warped fit/unfiltered air

I don't want the BAK's additional noise nor do I want a K&N filter anymore either.

Last edited by H8BUGZ; 04-16-2015 at 03:21 PM.