Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 05-02-2010, 11:15 PM   #136

What's Your Occupation?

I am a Dentist. Have been in private practice for 33 years. Practice in a small town 30 miles west of Baton Rouge. Have undergrad degree in Zoology.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-03-2010, 02:00 AM   #137
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
What's Your Occupation?

I posted on this thread several pages back. At that time I stated I had retired from Siemens and also the US Army. Now I have a part time job with K-Mart. I started with K-Mart April 13, 2010. I enjoy it and am making about as money as social security will allow me to.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 05-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #138

What's Your Occupation?

After graduating from High School I attended college for a grand total of one semester (1.3 GPA but did I have fun) so knowing what I was headed for (US Army) I enlisted into the Navy in 1968 and served in Maryland, Virginia, Key West, and nice tour with Naval Advisory Group in Vietnam (69-70). When I got out I went to work with New England Telephone Co. as a Central Office Installer (probably using “”Jdo1” specs). Went on to specialize in ESS (#1 ESS, TSPS, 4E) while I taught at the Bell System Training Center in Ohio. Spent a bunch of years around the country doing 5E Switching Systems and retired from AT&T here in Atlanta on a Friday and went to work with Lucent (Western Electric) on Monday. My last position was an Engineering Manager working with AT&T Government System (all the 3 letter agencies in DC) when in 2002 they made me an offer I couldn't refuse after 32 years of service. I don't miss work and have found myself with more to do since I retired. The best of this is riding the Nomad........

Hank
Lawrenceville GA
VBA # 1234
VROC # 32837
Patriot Guard Riders
Naval Advisory Group Vietnam 69-70

Old 10-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #139

Send a message via Yahoo to lawznforzer
What's Your Occupation?

I work in law enforcement. 25 years so far. Out on leave right now after getting injured in car accident on duty. Drunk driver. But intend to return.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #140
Sr. Contributor

What's Your Occupation?

Paper thrower, soda jerk/A&W, clean-up aisle 5 Woolworth, kitchen devil/nursing home, keyboards/ garage band, check printing/local bank, payclerk/UPS, linotype operator/ hometown newspaper, Met life insurance sales, route sales/ wholesale products to retail outlets in Vt., N.H. & Mass., chemical sales/ Vt. & N.H., owner operator/ dry cleaning business, manager conveinence store, self employed route sales/commercial bakery items 17 years, route sales/ rental uniforms and related products 8 years, 10 years helping my mother, 3 years and counting, helping to raise a grandaughter with Autism, personel health problems, retired Aug. '08, married 38 years with three sons, three grandsons and one granddaughter, doesn't take much to keep me busy now.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #141

What's Your Occupation?

First job was at McDonald's and is also where I met my wife of 21 yrs now. Worked up to part time manager then went to work for my parents as a bookkeeper for a chicken leasing co. Long explanation there. That's where I got into computers and programming. My dad got hooked up with some guys writing software for farm implement dealers and that's when I went to full time programming. that fizzled and I got hooked up with 2 guys doing software for small to med manufactures using an app written in Progress 4GL. Stayed there for 2 yrs and then went to a church software co working on their school app written in Progress. That last a couple of yrs until they started moving out of that area so I went to my current employer of 16 yrs now that is now a fairly large 3rd party claims administrator. Back when i started we were a tiny branch of a large insurance brokerage firm but we were spun off and are the leader in our industry now My title now is "Enterprise Architect" but I'm involved in all sorts of stuff because i have become a SME (subject matter expert) on our claims system and how things work in our industry. I stay pretty busy between work, family, and church.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #142
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
What's Your Occupation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Dan The Motorcycle Man
Worked up to part time manager then went to work for my parents as a bookkeeper for a chicken leasing co. Long explanation there.
I have heard of many occupations but leasing chickens?

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 10-02-2010, 11:47 PM   #143
Sr. Contributor

What's Your Occupation?

The last job I had was working for K-Mart in the garden center. I enjoyed it for three months but during the summer the garden center slowed up and I decided to move on and do nothing again.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 10-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #144

What's Your Occupation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Dan The Motorcycle Man
Worked up to part time manager then went to work for my parents as a bookkeeper for a chicken leasing co. Long explanation there.
I have heard of many occupations but leasing chickens?
People always look at me funny when I tell them that. Basically, we leased chickens to large egg producers. We are talking thousands of birds, not your backyard chicken coup. Instead of having to pay a large sum up front to buy the pulleys (babies) we would get investors to fund the purchase and the egg producers would pay them back on a curve that mirrored the egg laying cycle, so the more they laid the more they paid. We also grew birds ourselves using farmers in several states. Things were going pretty good until egg prices fell below $1/dozen in the late 80s and the mci were not able to make their lease payments.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #145

What's Your Occupation?

Well lets see I have been a aircraft mechanic in the USAF for 8 yrs , then I drove a big truck over the road from end to end of the US for 6yrs , now Iam a maintence mechanic for the goverment now for 7yrs, and hopefully I ll retire from this job .

Old 10-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #146

What's Your Occupation?

Well my business cards say "Account Manager" but that is because they refuse to put "Unf**ker" on them.
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R

Old 10-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #147

What's Your Occupation?

After some odd jobs while going to College (Utah State) and some time in the Army, I joined the National Park Service as a Park Ranger (law enforcement & emergency services). I spent 32 yrs and worked in 9 different Nat. Parks. I rose to the rank of Chief Ranger before hitting a mandatory retirement age of 57.

I now work on an as need basis for FEMA as a member of a disaster assistance team.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #148

What's Your Occupation?

What a talented and diverse bunch we are on KawaNOW.

I spent a good part of my early adult life on merchant ships sailing around the world, running and fixing marine diesel engines up to 26000 HP. Now I'm a full-time instructor and part-time student.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:06 AM   #149

Waving occupation

Worked as a cook, parts delivery driver, logger,resort operator and landscape maintenance operator plus numerous other jobs that I thought would be interesting to try. I am a red seal carpenter and scaffolder working in Ft. Mcmurray alberta during the winter.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #150
Top Contributor

Thought I posted already but I guess not. Here goes.

After HS, I spent a year in college majoring in Budwieser with a minor in the Herbal Arts. They asked if I would kindly take a year off but I never went back. GPA of 3.1 so it must have been the minor that did me in.

I enlisted in the best branch of the military (US Army, of course) and spent 2 years active duty then transferred to the Indiana Army Nat'l Guard. Another 2 years there while I started my first real career as a truck driver. I've driven company trucks and my own. At one time, I owned 5 trucks with me driving one. (Big mistake.) About 14 years ago, I decided it was time to get off the road and took a job managing a gas station/convenience store. Spent exactly 2 years doing that wondering why I was working 80-120 hours a week on a 42 hour a week salary. Time for a new career.

I spent about 3 months jobless. There wasn't much out there and I was about ready to get back on the road until I found an ad for my current job. I'm now an Adult Caretaker for the Depraved and Indifferent (aka correctional officer). Been doing this for 10 years now and like it for the most part. I dislike the politics more than the job. I have another 14 years, 5 months until I can retire with "full" benefits (whatever that will be by then). I plan to stay in the same place until then.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860