Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 12-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #1

The Year of 2011 VBA Moments Remembered...

Well, we are coming to a close of yet another year... where I post the most memorable moment for me related to the VBA.

So add your memorable, or not so memorable moment regarding the Vulcan Bagger Association. It doesn't have to be an event... it could be a posting... a bike mod... a trip... or anything. Just post it.

For me there were many... but the most memorable for me this year was the national rally in Maggie Valley and the great time we had with so many people in the organization and from our region -- however... the North Central Region's "Terror Ride" was without a doubt the most memorable.

What should have been a 2-hour ride in great weather in the mountains turned out to be a 5+ hour ride in pure hell in torrential rain, sleet, hail, wind, and more. Locals said it was the worst storm they had seen in years.

I believe all of us wondered if we were going to make it! We made it and since then... riding in the rain doesn't seem too bad!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
My most memorable was the trip to Maggie Valley. I made it through the Tail of the Dragon and rode right into the twilight zone. Stopped and asked for directions to MV and an hour later I spotted roadside signs on the other side of the road that I thought I recognized! Around the next turn and over the hill and there was Deals Gap. Yep, I was soooooo lost. Twilight Zone, it is alive and well in the mountains of North Carolina.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 12-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

March 15 was a sunny, warm spring afternoon as I was riding home from work. Little did I know that would be my last ride on my 2007 Nomad. I was on a road with no cross streets for about 3/4 of a mile, when traffic suddenly stopped in front of me. I had to brake hard and my front tire slid across a manhole cover, when it hit dry asphalt on the other side, I did a high side exit onto the surface of the street. My bike pitched me off to the left, then it flipped over onto its right side and slid 50-60 feet, throwing sparks as it went. I rode it home with moderate road rash on both forearms, I slid/rolled about 15-20 feet on the asphalt. The insurance company declared it a total loss and I never saw it again. I did see a generous settlement check from my insurance company, and bought a 2011 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Limited.

I had been planning for 2 years to attend the National Rally in Maggie Valley, but I got sick in May and spent a week in the hospital. After that and a couple of weeks of recuperation, I was in no shape to attempt what would have been a 5000+ mile ride through the summer heat, much of it solo. As much as I wanted to attend, I felt it was in my best interest to not go and I bailed out on my plans and set my sights instead on the California coast.

The second biggest event was the Redwoods Rally in Crescent City, CA. It was a 3620 mile round trip, but the first 300 and the last 300 miles were the worst (all desert). In between were 3020 miles of some of the best roads the Golden State has to offer. I developed a new respect for the agriculture industry as I rode through the central valleys of California, past dozens of orchards, acres and acres of crops, and vineyards. It was great to see so many old friends (BD notwithstanding ) and to make some new ones.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Last edited by cactusjack; 12-30-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:17 PM   #4

Great idea Greg.
I have so many great memories from the 2011 season it is hard to pick but like you, mine would have to be the National.
Not because of the terror ride as Cindy and I got back to the motel just a little before the storm picked up.
We just had so much fun putting faces to the names of the members we have gotten to know on here.
It is amazing meeting people we have only talked on line and it is like we have been friends forever. (you know who you are)
The rides were awesome, all tough for a couple miles there the day after the storm I thought Todd was taking us on an ATV trail.
Todd and Amy did a great job and my thanks go out to them for all the hard work they put in.
One of the moments that made me smile the most was the first ride we took, with Todd leading, it was kinda spirited. Cindy and I were somewhere in the middle of the pack. Cindy likes to ride like she stole it sometimes and she said to me, I want to be second in line and ride like Todd.
Any ride after that we were right up there behind Todd.
It was a great time and I can't wait for Colorado in 2013.
Last but surly not least I would like to Thank Trip for his foresight in making this forum a reality. I know I get on your nerves at times Boss but believe me this forum has become a big part of my everyday life. Thanks a Million.
Idaho, GPS my friend.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Last edited by Top Cat; 12-31-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:20 PM   #5

This is neat Greg. For me the most memorable part of the VBA for 2011 was the National at Maggie valley as well. Not just the event but the anticipation. As the weeks drew closer you could feel the excitement and electricity build on the forum, everyone asking questions, making comments and plans to meet up along the way. And it continued to build on the trip down as first we were 3, then 4, then after 2 hard days ride we were 8 or 10 strong and as the last few miles melted away and we arrived at the hotel, suddenly we in the company of many. It truly was fun to meet with old faces and put a face to the ones I had only meet here on the forum. All too soon it was over, but the camaraderie that we experienced and the memories we made can always bring a smile to my face when I think back.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #6

This is a good thread liked reading the posts so far. I did have something happen on 12 Oct 2011 that I will remember. A deer jumped up out of the ditch and I was veary lucky that it crossed in front of me and all I hit was its back leg with my right engine guard. Just heard a loud bang and the bike kept going stright down the road. Only damage was a bent and bloody right front engine guard.Glad the Nomad had that engine guard or I might have had a broken leg.The deer was hurt but went into the woods and I never saw it again. It is Bow hunting time here at that time so maybe a hunter got it.

Ray
Minnesota
2010-1700-Nomad
VBA#01525

Old 12-31-2011, 12:14 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
2011 brought me a new girlfriend and riding buddy Marie. She's a hoot, doesn't complain and told me the ride to Crescent City was a "Bucket List" for her. Never thought I'd find a gal that wanted to see America on the back of a bike but she does! This was one of my better years!!

I've met some new friends on Kawanow/Vulcan Baggers and look forward to meeting them all in person by 2013 at the National or hopefully at Kanab UT in 2012.

Most know I'm interested in changing bikes, just because I'd like a new feel. The HD boys on here are really twisting my arm to do it! With so many cool rides out there the choices are endless. One thing for sure, I owe Marie the most comfortable bike for her to travel. She thinks the Road Glide Ultra is the most beautiful bike but when she sat on the back of the GW she was amazed! Decisions decisions decisions....

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-31-2011, 12:41 AM   #8

For me it was Waste Management replacing my dumpster with a new one. Curtains will do wonders for the place.

Old 12-31-2011, 05:21 AM   #9

For me....trading my 1600 classic in on a Nomad & finding these forums & VBA. I hope to meet & ride w/some of you this coming year!

VBA #01922

Old 12-31-2011, 07:26 AM   #10

Well this has been a bad year for me. My dad got sick the first week of january. Then an old buddy of mine died of an overdose. My mom had a stroke. My dad died march 18th. My second best friend of 35yrs died of a head on with a semi on his bike. I got to go on a trip in the 3rd week of may but was hit by freezing rain, snow, hail, pounding rain and two days of sunny/cloud over a 2wk. period, caught nomonia for about a month. I used up all of my holidays in the first 5 months of the year due to my dads illness period. Last month a close work buddy never woke up from his sleep and a few days before xmas...income tax sent me a notice. I now owe them 3300 bucks...geez eh...I'm really looking forward to this year ending.
The good part is I picked up a Reckless fairing and am in the shop redesigning the Nomad. Hope everyone has a good 2012...Bdog

Old 12-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #11

How do you follow that? Tough year, Bdog!

In May I got off my Honda Magna (1984 V65) before it had stopped - still going about 70MPH - the rest of the year was pretty uneventful, then October 10th I bought my Nomad, just in time for nasty weather, then found this forum.

This morning we are going to breakfast with ham friends, then tomorrow we are gonna start the year with the same bunch at the theatre to see Sherlock Holmes, then lunch, then home to watch the Broncos and Teblow. Fun way to start the new year!

Tim
VBA #01884

Old 12-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #12
Advanced Member

WORST
Well for me, it was my wife quitting her job in Feb and not finding one (even as we speak). Me getting laid off in June and just finding a job in Nov. The fall of the KAWANOW name, made me very upset, like I lost a part of my riding experience and friendship. This board still doesn't feel the same.

BEST
For my first full year of riding was the greatest. I had not been on a bike for over 20 years and the largest I owned was a 750. This has been the greatest experience so far and another thing to check off my bucket list. It is too bad my wife doesn't share the same passion. The Maggie Valley rally was fantastic and the ride there was great. Starting with 2 riders, then 4, then 10 was fantastic. Joining up with the rest of the "Canada EH" group was fun. Never a dull moment. Meeting the riders in MV and doing the rides everyday was fun. The one that I feared the most was riding the Tail of the Dragon. So much anxiety. Finally, I really SLAYED it. What a feeling of accomplishment. THE BEST.

I know that 2012 will be better and I have my sites set on the NE rally or the NW rally. Still undecided. Most likely will be the NE rally.

Cheers to a GREAT 2012 Year.

Rhys Westmoreland
VBA# 01622 (Kawanow)

1969 Suzuki 250
1973 Honda CB750 K3 (Sold Dec 11, 2011)
2003 1500 Nomad FI "REBA"
PC III Commander (Died April 2011)
PC III Commander (Installed new one April 2016)
Vance and Hines, Mustang Seat
BadBoy Air Horn
Front LED Fog Lights

2011 Maggie Valley,NC
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH

Old 12-31-2011, 10:06 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Found a part time job I really enjoy as a receiver/stocker with Lowe's.

Had two great meet and greets this year.

The first was at Clanton, AL and got to meet Fatrat45 from Tuscaloosa, AL and some of his riding companions. Also met Goose and his wife from Cleveland, TN and NomadTom69 from Maryville, TN.

The second was at Starkville, MS and got to meet Oldbikers from Sardis, MS and saw Fatrat45 and his friends again.

Pretty good year when I think about it.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 12-31-2011, 11:09 AM   #14

2011 was a major transition year for Patricia and I. 2011 started with both of us still hurting/healing from the accident in Sept. 2010. Patricia worked for Washington State DOL and they were great at adapting her work to her diminished abilities. I was a full commission service plumber and on "light duty". We were accustomed to making $100k/yr +/- from my end of the wages, so after 17 weeks with an average of only $258/wk (for 40-50 hrs/wk), we decided that I should retire at 53. We found a brand new 2009 Suzuki Boulevard C-50-T for Patricia to replace her totaled 1100 V-Star. We made it to the Redwoods rally somehow, but my back was pained enough that we missed all of the major rides and barely made it home. We were starting to realize that without my share of the income we wouldn't be able to afford our beautiful 6 bedroom home in Lynnwood, WA for very long, so in July we bought our house in Phoenix. I spent the next couple of months detailing our Lynnwood home for sale. We listed the house in September for several $k above houses from the same size/year range. It sold in less than 2 weeks and we arrived to our Phoenix house on Oct. 2nd. This house had previously sold for more than 4x what we bought it for so it's a work in progress. Patricia and I still get the "giggles" about the weather here. Yesterday was 75* and sunny (I got a sunburn on December 30th ).

Hope to see you in Kanab, UT and possibly Canmore, Alb., CA

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Last edited by markclark57; 12-31-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

I think I had a great year, but damn if I can remember it all.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]