Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Living on the edge

Three days before leaving for Ohio and Arkansas in June the Nomad stopped running. Turned out to be the fuel pump. Luckily I diagnosed it right and got one overnight. After two tries I finally got it installed correctly and put 4300 miles on the bike even though it ran like crap.

Last week I tore into the fuel pump again and got it running right again.

Today, I noticed that the radio and clock were both resetting every time I started the bike. Took the seat off and measured battery volts and it was low. Bike started, barely and the voltage did not jump at all. I know that I have a problem with either the rec/reg or the stators. Tomorrow I will pull of the left side engine cover and do an inspection. Will look for damaged (hot) plugs and wires and measure the resistance of the stators and the forward and reverse bias resistance of the rectifier diodes.

I'm lucky this thing has not broken down and left me stranded on the side of the road. At least I have my ROK membership if that happens.

More tomorrow after testing.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-28-2015, 12:11 AM   #2
Advanced Member

I hate to read about having trouble on the road. I had the front wheel bearings go out on my VStrom in British Columbia on the way back from my Arctic Circle ride. It is a sinking feeling.

It appears that you have good wrenching skills though so were able to get up and running. This is why sometimes prefer carb bikes.

So how many miles do you have on your Nomad. I don't want to have to start carrying a spare fuel pump on cross country rides though I suppose it might not be a bad idea.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Check the wiring harness by the battery, it is between the battery and engine. It is a big connector where all the grounds come back together from the bike. One of them is the ground for your stator/rec...and if that connector melts it will stop charging. I know of a few people this has happened to, including me when I had mine.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
So how many miles do you have on your Nomad. I don't want to have to start carrying a spare fuel pump on cross country rides though I suppose it might not be a bad idea.
It has 77,776 miles on the fun meter. I still think ethanol fuel has destroyed the rubber bushing on top of the pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonik View Post
Check the wiring harness by the battery, it is between the battery and engine. It is a big connector where all the grounds come back together from the bike. One of them is the ground for your stator/rec...and if that connector melts it will stop charging. I know of a few people this has happened to, including me when I had mine.
When I replaced the fuel pump in June I pulled out the battery and checked that ground buss and it was fine. I just checked the resistance of the stators and the output of the front one and it is fine. I did not measure the output volts from the rear stator. The rectifiers measure fine. The battery only shows 11.5 volts and only goes to 12 volts when I bump up the RPMS. I had installed a new battery when I replaced the fuel pump and now I'm starting to wonder if it is bad. I have a trickle charger on it (battery tender actually) and am headed out of town for two days in the morning. I will check it on Thursday afternoon when I get back to see if the battery is charged any more. I will pull it out and double check that ground buss again.

I'm not panicking yet. Just taking my time.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 07-29-2015, 12:33 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
It has 77,776 miles on the fun meter. I still think ethanol fuel has destroyed the rubber bushing on top of the pump.

When I replaced the fuel pump in June I pulled out the battery and checked that ground buss and it was fine. I just checked the resistance of the stators and the output of the front one and it is fine. I did not measure the output volts from the rear stator. The rectifiers measure fine. The battery only shows 11.5 volts and only goes to 12 volts when I bump up the RPMS. I had installed a new battery when I replaced the fuel pump and now I'm starting to wonder if it is bad. I have a trickle charger on it (battery tender actually) and am headed out of town for two days in the morning. I will check it on Thursday afternoon when I get back to see if the battery is charged any more. I will pull it out and double check that ground buss again.

I'm not panicking yet. Just taking my time.
Sounds like a bad battery. It should be over 12v charged. Did you test the voltage drop on starting it?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-30-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
Top Contributor

My Bro"s '06 Nomad burnt up his buss ground and left him along side the road stranded. Not a pretty site when your packed to the gills with wife and 90+ weather.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:02 PM   #7
Advanced Member

I lost mine on a trip to Canada. Had to rent a UHaul to get it home. Thankfully I have trip insurance on the bike. They picked up all the costs, the truck, food hotel...everything.

And I agree with Ponch, this really looks like a bad battery now.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #8

I just got home from two days on the road and sat down to take a calm look with a critical eye. I was confused about the plugs from the two stators because I assumed that the plug behind the one for the front stator went to the rear stator. It kept kgnawing at me because all of the wiring diagrams that I have shows three wires off of both stators but this back plug has 4 wires. Tonight I figured out why, I was looking at the wrong plug. The plug for the rear stator sits back further on the case and was tucked under another wire bundle. I disconnected that plug and started the bike and found that it is not producing anything on one winding. I ohmed out the windings and the resistance to the one winding is 10 times what it should be. The rear stator is burned up. No I have to do my research and find one and get it installed. Oh Joy.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 07-30-2015, 11:09 PM   #9

Wow Bud you have had some stuff to deal with lately. The only positive thing is you. Great work sticking with it and coming up with answers.

Every time I read one of these, I learn something more.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 07-30-2015, 11:20 PM   #10

Bud I was wrong Jared had rectifier's for sale not stators

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 07-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Im disappointed in the Nomads electrical system. I've heard of several having fuel pumps, stators, rectfiers and such failing with less than 80k miles. These thing dont quit that often on cars.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-31-2015, 12:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Wow Bud you have had some stuff to deal with lately. The only positive thing is you. Great work sticking with it and coming up with answers.

Every time I read one of these, I learn something more.
I still need to get you pix of the fuel pump parts that I have. Send me a PM with your phone (if you can get text messages) or an email address so that I can send them to you.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 07-31-2015, 12:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Im disappointed in the Nomads electrical system. I've heard of several having fuel pumps, stators, rectfiers and such failing with less than 80k miles. These thing dont quit that often on cars.
Mine is knocking on 80K. I do have extra spots and a couple of radios so maybe that has contributed. Don't know. I still think the fuel pump is probably okay but ethanol fuel caused the rubber bushing to split that seals up the fuel pump to the fuel pump housing.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 07-31-2015, 12:46 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Mine is knocking on 80K. I do have extra spots and a couple of radios so maybe that has contributed. Don't know. I still think the fuel pump is probably okay but ethanol fuel caused the rubber bushing to split that seals up the fuel pump to the fuel pump housing.
From what I read and my 2 cents. Ethanol is a solvent which at least I think strips the inside engine parts/carburetor mainly rubber. I've almost stopped completely using seafoam!

The ethanol in the gas keeps my carburetor clean however I do add Marvel Mystery Oil and Lucas Gas Additive in my gas tank to keep the rubber parts pliable. Mundane as it may seem.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #15

Yah got the phone# thanks, Bud. I am expecting fuel strainers tomorrow. If they fit the stock pump which is disassembled on my bench, I hope to have a solution that others can use. I plan on posting pics later on.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad