Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #1

Irate Error 18 code

Well the Voyager is starting to have problems with only 49k on it, This Error 18 started to come on when I would start the bike. I took it to my dealer several time but the code would be gone after I restarted the bike a couple times well it ends up that they had to replace the throttle bodies and I just picked it up it seams to be running better than it has in a long time but that was only a couple of miles. tomorrow we will see if my gas mileage is any better. the cost for this was over $800 but thank god for warranties and it cost me $0. I hope the bike runs better now.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by The Rustic Dragon; 08-17-2013 at 07:31 AM.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Warranties are awesome! Ride the wheels off it.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 08-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #3

One, relatively minor problem near 50K miles. I'd say you have a pretty reliable bike!

Glad you got things fixed and on the road again.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #4

i would agree with Jared. If that is all you have had, then that is pretty good.

Of course, it is even better that you had a warranty. However, at least now you were able to realize a return on some of the money it cost to buy the warranty.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 08-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #5

Here is a update on the error 18 code after the fix. Before the fix I was getting about 38 miles to the gallon Now that its fixed I got 44.6 miles to the gallon and it rarely backfires anymore I am very happy with the fix that they did and I have another 1 1/2 years warranty on my 2009 Voyager, I will always get the extended warranty on my bikes it is well worth it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 PM   #6

Hi. I was wondering what some of the symtons you may have had before that. I have a 1700 Nomad that has not run right for 2 years. It would show error 18 the same as yours. Dealer said they cant do anything because it isn't there when I take it to them. My bike starts fine when it is cold, but if I shut it off after being warmed up it starts with a real low idle. Then after a few seconds it will go to the high idle then come down to where it should be. After that it runs rough, small backfires, exhaust is louder then normal. When it is running perfect, I can give a small twist of the throttle and it takes off. When it is running ruff, I have to give it more throttle to move out. I am on a trip now and it was running rough and all of a suddun it ran great. The temperature drop suddenly because rain was moving in and the bike just died. I had to almost give it full throttle to get up a hill. Before that it pulled the hills with no problem.
My dealer is a dick, cause unless they can duplicate the problem, they won't do anything. Even tho I have the warrenty, they want to charge me for anything that they do to figure out the problem.
thanks
Bill

Old 08-23-2013, 02:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpro215 View Post
Hi. I was wondering what some of the symtons you may have had before that. I have a 1700 Nomad that has not run right for 2 years. It would show error 18 the same as yours. Dealer said they cant do anything because it isn't there when I take it to them. My bike starts fine when it is cold, but if I shut it off after being warmed up it starts with a real low idle. Then after a few seconds it will go to the high idle then come down to where it should be. After that it runs rough, small backfires, exhaust is louder then normal. When it is running perfect, I can give a small twist of the throttle and it takes off. When it is running ruff, I have to give it more throttle to move out. I am on a trip now and it was running rough and all of a suddun it ran great. The temperature drop suddenly because rain was moving in and the bike just died. I had to almost give it full throttle to get up a hill. Before that it pulled the hills with no problem.
My dealer is a dick, cause unless they can duplicate the problem, they won't do anything. Even tho I have the warrenty, they want to charge me for anything that they do to figure out the problem.
thanks
Bill
Error code 18 = 18 ETV Accelerator position sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.

If your dealer won't take your word that you have been experiencing this error, then you probably need a new dealer. The very nature of a short is that they are often intermittent and only experienced occasionally.

You may want to check that the ignition wires are not chafed or frayed under the tank.

Also, your symptoms sound a lot like an intake leak. They usually only show up after the bike is warm. Surging and backfiring are then typical.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #8

I agree, your dealer may be blowing you off. I would think in most cases the error codes would be stored in the ecu and can not only be retrieved by the dealer, but possibly how many times it has happened. I am not talking specifics to the 1700 but these automotive self diagnose systems in general.
Perhaps you could call Kawa directly and get the exact details, especially if the bike is still in warranty.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
Error code 18 = 18 ETV Accelerator position sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.

If your dealer won't take your word that you have been experiencing this error, then you probably need a new dealer. The very nature of a short is that they are often intermittent and only experienced occasionally.

You may want to check that the ignition wires are not chafed or frayed under the tank.

Also, your symptoms sound a lot like an intake leak. They usually only show up after the bike is warm. Surging and backfiring are then typical.

I have went to 2 dealers so far. They both say that unless they can duplicate the problem, there is nothing they can do.
I have checked the ignition wires. they are good.
I have tried to check for intake leaks but how does one go about it without taking everything off. It's kind of hard to spray anything in there with both air boxes on.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
I agree, your dealer may be blowing you off. I would think in most cases the error codes would be stored in the ecu and can not only be retrieved by the dealer, but possibly how many times it has happened. I am not talking specifics to the 1700 but these automotive self diagnose systems in general.
Perhaps you could call Kawa directly and get the exact details, especially if the bike is still in warranty.
Yes the codes are stored in there. The one dealer that did hook it up to the computer seen the stored codes. Even tho they seen them, they are not present now and according to them, Kawasaki won't do anything if they aren't showing now. I thought about calling Kawasaki, but would I be able to talk to a tech that knows what they are doing?

Old 08-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #11

My 2011 vaquero has shown error 18 of and on for a year. Ma kaw and the manual suggetsed first (apropriately) to clean throttle bodies and connections. That would keep it away for a month or 2. Started to be more frequent so i called kawi customer service wednesday night this week. They could not have been better. THye said they "would make it right". The next morning at 0930 i called my dealer and gave him the log number from my conversation with ma kaw. He called me back at noon and new throttle bodies and sensor are in route as we speak. Its "team powersports " in raleigh NCand they couln't have been more helpful. You can't ask for better service than this IMO.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldridgekennedy View Post
My 2011 vaquero has shown error 18 of and on for a year. Ma kaw and the manual suggetsed first (apropriately) to clean throttle bodies and connections. That would keep it away for a month or 2. Started to be more frequent so i called kawi customer service wednesday night this week. They could not have been better. THye said they "would make it right". The next morning at 0930 i called my dealer and gave him the log number from my conversation with ma kaw. He called me back at noon and new throttle bodies and sensor are in route as we speak. Its "team powersports " in raleigh NCand they couln't have been more helpful. You can't ask for better service than this IMO.
I believe that is what I am going to do. it sounds like I have the same problem. I have been trying to find the customer service number on the web site but have not found it. Could you pass the number on to me.

Thanks

Old 08-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #13

Quote:
I believe that is what I am going to do. it sounds like I have the same problem. I have been trying to find the customer service number on the web site but have not found it. Could you pass the number on to me.

Thanks
sure. I called 949-460-5688. Everytime i've called they have been easy to work with seemed sincere in wanting to help.

good luck.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldridgekennedy View Post
sure. I called 949-460-5688. Everytime i've called they have been easy to work with seemed sincere in wanting to help.

good luck.
Thank You. I will try Monday. By the way. I was just in NC last week. What part are you from. My Stepson lives in Sanford

Old 08-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Thank You. I will try Monday. By the way. I was just in NC last week. What part are you from. My Stepson lives in Sanford
Not far from Sanford at all. I live in Garner, about an hour down the road. Ironically, my son and i rode our bikes through there yesterday. Let me know if you are in the area again and we'll take a ride.