Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 07-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
Advanced Member

saw some Nomads today

I was out and about wreaking havoc on the populace of the upper valley region of the Connecticut River (centered on Lebanon, NH and White River Junction, VT) when I spied the tell-tale rounded saddlebag with three horizontal chrome/silver strips below a well chromed side handle. My brain immediately kicked into warp drive and time slowed to a standstill. It was black and electric red Kawasaki Nomad, perhaps one of the new '08's. Alas, the rider never noticed me and went happily on his way. Then a few hours later another one with a couple HD's and again the rider passed right by me and never even noticed a fellow brother of the Vulcan Nomadhood. What gives? Later on I stopped at a dealership and the sales manager was having trouble getting the saddlebag to close and remove the key on the '08 Nomad. Having performed this sleight of hand countless times I showed him how it's done. The couple ogling the bike looked at me as if I were some kind of Nomad guru. In my most wizened, sage voice I told them the Kawasaki Nomad was the best motorcycle I ever owned. Apparently they were not impressed as they soon moved on to look at other models. They must have noticed my suspenders. I knew I should have worn my black leather vest and gotten a doorag. Any way, I walked outside and only three bikes over was another Nomad. The rider had the side covers off and was messing with something. He must have been so engrossed in his project because he never acknowledged me. Crestfallen, I got on my bike and rode on. Is it just me? Am I the only one that can spot a Nomad with only a millisecond of a glimpse of the windshield emblem or a fleeting glance of the side of the saddlebag? Am I the only one that gets excited upon seeing another Nomad on the road while I am out riding? I suppose upon reflection, that not everyone is cut out to be a Nomaddict Chromaholic. It saddens me to think that there are people that consider their Nomad is just a "nice" bike and don't realize they have one of the finest marvels of electro-mechanical engineering. Then again, on the other hand, that means that there are bunches of ignorant people that will only ride 5-8000 miles in in three years and then I can pick and choose from them for my favorite colors for my next Nomad.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #2

saw some Nomads today

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinchef
...In my most wizened, sage voice I told them the Kawasaki Nomad was the best motorcycle I ever owned. Apparently they were not impressed as they soon moved on to look at other models. They must have noticed my suspenders. I knew I should have worn my black leather vest and gotten a doorag.....
Some folks just couldn't spot a good deal if it hit them right in the face. It's not only one of the best bikes ever made, it's the best value for the $ in the entire business.

But if you're not wearing the "right" stuff, some folks just look right through you. Their loss, eh?

Old 07-26-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

saw some Nomads today

Quote:
It was black and electric red Kawasaki Nomad, perhaps one of the new '08's.
Well, it couldn't have been that hard to see...it couldn't have been going that fast - now on the other hand, if it was all black...?

Racinchef, your posts just kill me. You have a real sharp wit. Maybe it's your New England outlook on things, I don't know, but you are a riot! You should write a humor column for a bike magazine.

"Maybe it was the suspenders?" That's priceless!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-26-2008, 10:54 PM   #4

saw some Nomads today

I live in a black hole for Nomads or as I call it - Harley Hell. There are only 4 or 5 down here. I don't wait for them to notice me - I prance my happy a$$ right up and say HI!!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 11:08 PM   #5

saw some Nomads today

Yesterday, I left Oklahoma and ventured down to the Holy Land (Texas). Well, I must admit that it was only Wichita Falls. Anyway, I'm doing the wait for the wife thing in 102 degree heat...you know, the "honey I'll only be a minute" that evolves into an hour of "I was just looking." Anyway, I am about to pass out from dehydration, and much to my amazement, I look in my rearview mirror. A blue and silver flash goes by. I noticed the saddlebags, I noticed the chrome....yes, it was a Nomad. The driver parked in front of Sally Beauty Supply and walks in with his full face helmet on. I figure he is either going to rob the place....or he is really ashamed of having to purchase a deep cleansing facial conditioner, or whatever our female counterparts use. So, I come out of my daze and sneek down to take a peek. He came out and we began to talk. Turns out his wife sent him on a supply run because she owns a beauty shop...relief!!! We hit it off well and talked Nomads for an hour (in 102 degree heat). Yes, I spot Nomads everywhere, and I always attempt to chase the rider down to talk, or just admire their bike if they are not around....I think Nomads become part of your DNA. Over and out!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-27-2008, 06:53 AM   #6
Advanced Member

saw some Nomads today

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood
I live in a black hole for Nomads or as I call it - Harley Hell. There are only 4 or 5 down here. I don't wait for them to notice me - I prance my happy a$$ right up and say HI!!!!
I hear you Hollywood, and you sound like a spunky lady, but when you wear suspenders you just can't go prancing around. I did try catching their attention, but they were oblivious. I suppose I could have gone up to the guy working on his bike and said hi.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #7
Top Contributor

saw some Nomads today

Some people just don't appreciate a good guy when they see one!
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 07-27-2008, 07:05 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
saw some Nomads today

Racin.... You're not the only one.

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...ay&thread=5593
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 07-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #9

saw some Nomads today

Saw one today myself. I was amazed as this is the first one I've seen around here. It was a beauty with great sounding pipes. I crossed him on my way to church this morning. He had vest on with a few patches on the back side.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #10

saw some Nomads today

I live 2.2 miles from a Harley dealership. It's hell. I admit I do think Harleys are absolutely beautiful bikes, but all I see are 20 year old junkers or new Harley's. Absolutely no individualism. I have only seen 1 Nomad this summer and it was parked all alone.

I actually parked right next to an ultraglide yesterday and I happened to come out the door at the same time as the owner, he didn't speak or even look my way. I guess I'm just import trash to him.

I'm glad to have a little bit of individuality although my wife is starting to get more compliments on her C50 with the bars & gradient windscreen than I do on the Nomad. Go figure

Old 07-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #11

saw some Nomads today

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinchef
I was out and about wreaking havoc on the populace of the upper valley region of the Connecticut River (centered on Lebanon, NH and White River Junction, VT) when I spied the tell-tale rounded saddlebag with three horizontal chrome/silver strips below a well chromed side handle. My brain immediately kicked into warp drive and time slowed to a standstill. It was black and electric red Kawasaki Nomad, perhaps one of the new '08's. Alas, the rider never noticed me and went happily on his way. Then a few hours later another one with a couple HD's and again the rider passed right by me and never even noticed a fellow brother of the Vulcan Nomadhood. What gives? Later on I stopped at a dealership and the sales manager was having trouble getting the saddlebag to close and remove the key on the '08 Nomad. Having performed this sleight of hand countless times I showed him how it's done. The couple ogling the bike looked at me as if I were some kind of Nomad guru. In my most wizened, sage voice I told them the Kawasaki Nomad was the best motorcycle I ever owned. Apparently they were not impressed as they soon moved on to look at other models. They must have noticed my suspenders. I knew I should have worn my black leather vest and gotten a doorag. Any way, I walked outside and only three bikes over was another Nomad. The rider had the side covers off and was messing with something. He must have been so engrossed in his project because he never acknowledged me. Crestfallen, I got on my bike and rode on. Is it just me? Am I the only one that can spot a Nomad with only a millisecond of a glimpse of the windshield emblem or a fleeting glance of the side of the saddlebag? Am I the only one that gets excited upon seeing another Nomad on the road while I am out riding? I suppose upon reflection, that not everyone is cut out to be a Nomaddict Chromaholic. It saddens me to think that there are people that consider their Nomad is just a "nice" bike and don't realize they have one of the finest marvels of electro-mechanical engineering. Then again, on the other hand, that means that there are bunches of ignorant people that will only ride 5-8000 miles in in three years and then I can pick and choose from them for my favorite colors for my next Nomad.
Why tha hell do I waste my time on sitcoms on TV?

racinchef, sometimes people have mental disorders that wont allow them to let someone know that they are actually intigued by another bike. If they do they will lose some kind of power they think they have.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #12

saw some Nomads today

I have to admit. I don't see too many Nomads around here. Mostly HD's and Hondas with some Yammys mixed in. I totally agree with CQ. Best deal around, and apparently the best kept secret.
Hey, racinchef. Don't sweat the overalls. Just tell'em next time you're Jed Clampett ( as in mega bucks), and you thought she was " Miss Jane".

Damn, CJ !! I'm looking at your weatherunderground temp. You're on fire, man !!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #13

saw some Nomads today

Saw a Nomad on the highway the other day and waved. Found out later it was Prairie Cruiser who guessed it might be me and poster here later. We live about 700 miles apart - not many Nomads around here either.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:41 AM   #14
Advanced Member

saw some Nomads today

Hmmmm, I have no problem seeing a Nomad around here. I think there are 10 or 12 in town. Selma is not a big town 19,000 or so. I think our Kaw dealer sells them cheaper than anyone in Bama. Oh and there are 5 Nomads where I work.
VBA #00077