Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal2 View Post
It's an odd deal. If you go by the book it says the bike's capacity is 3.7 quarts when changing oil and the filter. I find that's too much even with the larger capacity 3300 Bosch filter. I noticed it on my first oil change. After changing the oil and filter, I fired the bike up and let it run a bit. Shut it down and let it sit for a while to settle the oil down. After setting it up level to check it, found the oil to be clean over the top of the sight glass. I drained a bit out via the filter screen until it looked right. The first time I thought maybe I mis-measured when filling it or something and made a mental note to be more careful with the measurement. Next change it did it again and I was being real careful this time. Let a bit out again. Now I've started using 3.5 quarts and it's still a little high but much closer.

In case anybody wonders............no I wasn't using the metric scale on my measuring cup/pitcher.
Well now, the manual I read called for 3.7 quarts with filter, so rather than measure I just put a full gallon (4 quarts) Rotella T-6 and no problems. i dont think that will hurt anything? Knock on wood.
I see that some are running only 3 quarts? I think that is to little oil.
anyway, i now change the oil every 5K miles no matter what.

2008 1600 Nomad 56K miles "BlueBelle"

2004 1500 Nomad 102 K miles "Black Beauty"

ABATE Black Creek Chapter

Amvet Rider Post 86
http://www.facebook.com/AmvetPost86

Weston A. Price Foundation member.

Vegetarian......
An old Indian word meaning "Bad Hunter"

Legalize Freedom!
Question Authority!

"Im in love with the waitress, and I dont even know her name"
"Boys" Gone Wild" ! Mainstreet Station 2012 Daytona Bikeweek