Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 08-26-2008, 07:22 AM   #1

FORMATION RIDING?

Hey fellow Madders,

Riding to work this morning a question came to mind about formation riding and the safe or unsafe aspects of it and wanted to get feedback from all of you.
This is the scenario: I was riding on a highway, two lanes in each direction with a divider. Speed limit is 55mph and just about everyone is going the typical 50 - 80 mph. I was in the left lane and another bike was in the right ahead of me moving at a slower pace. As I approached the other bike I made room for him to move to my lane.

My question is how should we be following one another? Staggered left or right? one behind the other? or not at all? Any opinion or ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

vin

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2008, 07:40 AM   #2

FORMATION RIDING?

When I come on another rider if he is staying either to right or left, an I don't want to pass I stagger with him. If he is in the middle or moving around, I keep to the middle, stay back, or get around him.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Top Contributor

FORMATION RIDING?

I pretty much do what Ells said.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #4

FORMATION RIDING?

Ditto

Old 08-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #5

FORMATION RIDING?

Same here.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

FORMATION RIDING?

I keep a safe distance from him and ride in a staggered position. You may know what you're doing, but you don't know his skill level, hence the safe following distance.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-26-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Top Contributor

FORMATION RIDING?

Always.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #8

FORMATION RIDING?

In your case Vin, I would do as you did.
When I come on another rider if he is staying either to right or left, an I don't want to pass I stagger with him.
If he is in the middle or moving around, I get on the left side of my lane leaving a safe distance between us and pass as soon as possible.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #9

FORMATION RIDING?

Cactus and topcat, I agree and wouldn't have thought of your idea of the other guys skill level. Good point.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #10

FORMATION RIDING?

One can't ride in formation with another rider you just happen upon. You are two solo riders that happen to be in the same area.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #11

FORMATION RIDING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreak031
One can't ride in formation with another rider you just happen upon. You are two solo riders that happen to be in the same area.
I agree.

I still take the opposite track from the guy I catch up to, but I don't consider it riding in formation with him. I still change my position based on what I want to see, or where I want to be seen, independent of that rider. I still use my whole lane.

When I'm riding in a group, I stagger to keep the group smaller. We are all going to the same place and at the same speed. I somewhat know what to expect from them. Therefore, you can stagger and your following distance is from the second bike ahead of you, the one in your same track.

When you just happen to catch up with another rider, it doesn't make sense to shorten your following distance as if you were really riding in a staggered formation. You aren't riding together. You aren't planning on stopping, turning, etc. together. You just happened to catch up to him on the same road.

When I catch up to another rider or group, as I said, I usually stagger, but from further back and I'm not shy about using my whole lane. I follow them basically like I would if they were a car.

When I really am riding in a group. I maintain more discipline in my lane positioning.

Riding with somebody, and just happen to be on the same road is very different.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:35 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel
FORMATION RIDING?

Ditto

Old 09-10-2008, 07:26 PM   #13

FORMATION RIDING?

When in formation MSF says to ride staggered and I think 2 seconds behind the rider in front of you (which will only be the case if you have 3 or more "rows").

As far as hooking up two solos I think you do as stated above and keep at least 2 seconds behind just in case they surprise you.

Or if you are riding an HD just rev the throttle all the time, give it all its got and slingshot by very close and scare the h*ll out of the other rider while pretending not to notice them. Then pull over to tighten everything that is loose. JK...just a little MC Humor! Not to be confused with the great musician...MC Hammer.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #14

FORMATION RIDING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstreak031
I agree.

I still take the opposite track from the guy I catch up to, but I don't consider it riding in formation with him. I still change my position based on what I want to see, or where I want to be seen, independent of that rider. I still use my whole lane.

When I'm riding in a group, I stagger to keep the group smaller. We are all going to the same place and at the same speed. I somewhat know what to expect from them. Therefore, you can stagger and your following distance is from the second bike ahead of you, the one in your same track.

When you just happen to catch up with another rider, it doesn't make sense to shorten your following distance as if you were really riding in a staggered formation. You aren't riding together. You aren't planning on stopping, turning, etc. together. You just happened to catch up to him on the same road.

When I catch up to another rider or group, as I said, I usually stagger, but from further back and I'm not shy about using my whole lane. I follow them basically like I would if they were a car.

When I really am riding in a group. I maintain more discipline in my lane positioning.

Riding with somebody, and just happen to be on the same road is very different.
Agree
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 10-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #15

FORMATION RIDING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdoc
Hey fellow Madders,

Riding to work this morning a question came to mind about formation riding and the safe or unsafe aspects of it and wanted to get feedback from all of you.
This is the scenario: I was riding on a highway, two lanes in each direction with a divider. Speed limit is 55mph and just about everyone is going the typical 50 - 80 mph. I was in the left lane and another bike was in the right ahead of me moving at a slower pace. As I approached the other bike I made room for him to move to my lane.

My question is how should we be following one another? Staggered left or right? one behind the other? or not at all? Any opinion or ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

vin
If i am behind a rider and he is going slower than i need to go, i stay righ behind him on thee right side of the lane, if he doesn't react, i will flash my high beams once and wait for his aknlowedgement, he should move to the left and allow me to pass, this is normally on the car pool lane, if i am on a secondary lane, well, i just look for an oportunity to change lanes and pass with all the caution thati can master.