Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Precision gas reckoning in (very) rural NE

The adventure continues:

Left Sioux City IO intentionally seeking a rural route to Yankton SD-with a partial tank because East Coast guy still expects gas stations every couple of miles or so. Passed up the gas station in Ponca NE because I couldn't tell what brand was being sold and a road side sign alluded to several other towns within my safe distance. (Cue the scarey music)

But, none of those towns had gas stations. My warning light came on. One of the towns (It started with an 'O') had a population of 2.
A single house!

I had tracked my gas milage for the trip and things were getting critical. Averaging about 33mpg- 5 gallons equals 165 miles--add another 11 for the .3--that's 176 miles. I was on 168.

Surely a town named 'Wynot' must have gas. (I didn't apprise Angie of the situation-she was going to find out soon enough)

Wynot was a mile off the main road. What were the chances of gas? So I kept going, even though the road sign put the next town beyond my range.

Then--on cue at 176, the engine sputtered. I pulled into the first farm. They MUST have gas. The woman didn't, but drove us back a couple miles into an even more rural location that had gas. I put gas into her car tank when I filled the milk jug to take back to the bike.

Note to self: There is such a thing as 40-some miles between stations and, in rural areas, names on a map only mean that you're probably going to have to slow down a bit.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-06-2009, 07:27 AM   #2

I haven't run mine out (yet) but I let it get so low that when I turned into the station she sputtered.
I definately don't want to end up in rural Neb. that low. Glad everything worked out for you.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:48 AM   #3

I ran out once last summer, I missed the entrance to the gas station because of thick tree cover and the bike died a few hundred yards passed that point. It was next door to a prison. and a guard on patrol came by about 2 minutes later and just happened to have a gas can in his truck.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-06-2009, 08:12 AM   #4

Hey bob if you are in Yankton you are only a little over an hour from me. Sioux Falls is just north of yankton. Kioti is a little south of me in a very very nice little rural town called Lennox. They have probably the best hometown 4th of July I have ever seen.

If you roll through this way look me up.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

SO how far was it to more real gas, or did you go back to the first place?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #6

In my 10 years of owning a Nomad, I've stopped at a house once for gas in a remote area. Ran dead out on a freeway and used AAA. Walked to a gas station in the middle of the night that was closed, but pay-at-the-pump still worked. I found a cup in the garbage and put gas in it, walked back to the bike and poured it in.

I've also been in the most rural place in the US and filled up at a station, and at the very first next station I filled up and put 4.1 gal in a 4.2 tank.

Sorry your wife was with you on that one :)

And with the 1600 tank, when it sputters like it's dying, if you shake the bike from side to side more gas sloshes over to the pick up and you can keep going, but not far.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Forward, it would have been about 15 miles. Even shaking the bike from side to side wouldn't have helped. And it wasn't like you can see the next farm house. I didn't want to risk crapping out on a road with no shoulder and trying to decide to take Angie with me and leave the bike and luggage or leave her with the bike--that's why I turned into the first farm house.

The gas was only about 2-3 miles back in the direction I had come from--Bull Valley, I think. But it was off the main road with no indication of it or gas.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhamlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Forward, it would have been about 15 miles. Even shaking the bike from side to side wouldn't have helped. And it wasn't like you can see the next farm house. I didn't want to risk crapping out on a road with no shoulder and trying to decide to take Angie with me and leave the bike and luggage or leave her with the bike--that's why I turned into the first farm house.

The gas was only about 2-3 miles back in the direction I had come from--Bull Valley, I think. But it was off the main road with no indication of it or gas.
The shaking side to side is good for 1/2 mile or so, but not 15 :)

Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Bob,

That area isn't even rural Nebraska yet. Heck rural Nebraska isn't as bad as some other areas. Glad you found gas. Most of the people in rural areas are really nice and will help anyone. One time, the alternator on the car went out in nowhere. The farmers place we pulled into put the charger on and then led us until the battery went dead again, hooked up the cables and lead us to a repair shop. Wouldn't take anything for his time or effort.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 08-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #10

I would agree that rural folk are not as jaded as city folk, and are pretty willing to help strangers in need.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:24 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Hey bob if you are in Yankton you are only a little over an hour from me. Sioux Falls is just north of yankton. Kioti is a little south of me in a very very nice little rural town called Lennox. They have probably the best hometown 4th of July I have ever seen.

If you roll through this way look me up.
Hi Paul,

By the time I saw this, I was in Fargo. We're wandering back east now. If you're ever in the mid-Atlantic area, give a yell.

BTW, I bought my luggage rack from you and you're the one who invited me to this board. That was a great invite and the rack is carrying a Kuryakin Full Dresser suitcase. You da man.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #12

Well, Glad to hear it. I am glad your trip is going well. If you were in Fargo you were in reach of another member, Jerry Stearns. I lived there for a short while. I have already told my wife that I will be going to the next national Rally whether she goes or not and the rumors so far are Deal's Gap. That is closer to your area. I would like to get to the coast some day. I want to eat seafood that is actually fresh not just flown in fresh.

Have a good trip.