Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #1

Premeux fairing speakers

After three years I decided to install a stereo in my Premeux fairing, after I split it I found that where you mount the speakers was a flat piece of tin with some slots that is to be the grill. Has anyone mounted speakers in these fairings, from the looks of it I might have to make some modifications as you can't mount the speaker directly to the so called grill because the speaker needs to vibrate to work.

Bulldog

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #2

Premeux fairing speakers

Install the speakers with some 1/2" metal screws to the four holes you have there. The grill gets sandwiched between the speaker and the fairing. The screws bite into the fibreglass lip around the edge of the speaker opening. At least thats the way mine are installed. Did someone cut out the bottom portion of the fairing? Thats normally where the brackets mount to the fork.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #3

Premeux fairing speakers

Did you use a spacer between the grill and speaker as the speaker needs to vibrate, the grill is flat. What size and model of speaker did you use.
No the inner part on this model bolts to the outer part which mounts to the bike.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #4

Premeux fairing speakers

I have Pyle 5 1/4" speakers in my fairing that screw directly to the fairing. The speakers have a metal frame the allow the cones to vibrate, all speakers are the same as far as I know. I had to cut the grills to fit the fairing, and they are fitted in between the speaker and fairing with the same screws. If you have to space them out a little you can probably use a couple small washers under the speaker to get a bit of room.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #5

Premeux fairing speakers

The way I mounted my speakers (Polk DB650 6 1/2") , I went to home depot and bought a piece of 2'x2'x 3/4" marine plywood (smallest piece you could buy), brought it home and cut two "rings" out of it to use as spacers between the speaker and fairing. I painted the "rings" black, and attached them to the inner fairing on the inside behind the Premeux grilles with sheet-metal screws. I then mounted the speakers to the marine plywood rings. I had to do this because the dome tweeters protrude above the speakers a little more than a 1/2". Worked out great. Remember to use stainless screws. I've been running this set-up for over 4 years now, and have had no problems.

Ringadingh, The Premeux for the 1600 is made different than the one for the 1500. On the 1500, you mount the inner to the bike (with your radio, speakers, and other gizmo's) then mount the outer over the inner. On the 1600, it is more like a "quick detach" fairing. You put everything together in the inner fairing, then mount the outer fairing (it has the attachment points for the bike) off the bike, then just slip it on the bike, tighten 4 screws, plug up your harness, and ready to go. Since this pic, I've replaced the winshield pouch with one of those HD 3 pouch bags.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #6

Premeux fairing speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE
""
Ringadingh, The Premeux for the 1600 is made different than the one for the 1500. On the 1500, you mount the inner to the bike (with your radio, speakers, and other gizmo's) then mount the outer over the inner. On the 1600, it is more like a "quick detach" fairing. You put everything together in the inner fairing, then mount the outer fairing (it has the attachment points for the bike) off the bike, then just slip it on the bike, tighten 4 screws, plug up your harness, and ready to go. Since this pic, I've replaced the winshield pouch with one of those HD 3 pouch bags.

Thats the same way my fairing mounts as well. I think the 1600's have a wider fork spacing though.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #7

Premeux fairing speakers

That's a great idea, is was thinking about some sort of a spacer and the plywood would work great and you can then get the 6 1/2" speaker mounted. What do you use for a radio and antenna set up.

Thanks for the input.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #8

Premeux fairing speakers

Im thinking of installing a Sony xplod unit with a front aux port or usb so I can use my ipod. I'll see what comes up on sale the next few months. Im also thinking of installing a couple of 6 1/2" speakers in the compartments of my lower fairings. My pals who have the speaker pods mounted on their Harleys say they you cant really here the rear speakers very well on the highway.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-11-2010, 09:28 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Premeux fairing speakers

You know that's what I've heard also about the Harley rear speakers. However, I have the
Dragonfly speaker pods c/w 6.5" Kenwoods ( front & rear) and I definitely can tell when the rear speakers are not on. I believe you lose that sense of presence with them off? I can hear them at highway speed - passenger states she can not hear them - I think that the sound is in the cabin bubble. I usually have fader set at front 6 rear 4 - even balance is 5 and 5

Old 01-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #10

Premeux fairing speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog
That's a great idea, is was thinking about some sort of a spacer and the plywood would work great and you can then get the 6 1/2" speaker mounted. What do you use for a radio and antenna set up.

Thanks for the input.

Bulldog,I have a JVC KD-870 Arsenal (they no longer off it, but they do have newer versions of it) It sounds great, and the two features I like best about it, 1) there's a USB plug on the face, I just load my tunes onto a memory stick, and plug it right in the face of the unit, and 2) a wireless infrared remote. It does control the unit with the bubble cover closed (radio isn't a marine unit). I replace the battery about once every 10-12 months. I have 4 6 1/2" Polk DB 650 speakers ,2 in the fairing, and 2 in pods mounted on the trunk. Polk speakers are marine rated, and they do sound great. I've had this set-up for 4 years now, and all in all, I'm VERY pleased with my set-up. I originally started out with the inside fairing mounted antenna, but that was only good around town. I switched to the OEM Harley antenna mounted on the trunk and that works as good as the car now.
If I had it to do over again, I would probably go with a digital media player (no CDs) or one that accepted the SD cards. Neither were offered 4 years ago, but they're out now.
BTW, I can hear my rear speakers good at all speeds. I have balance and fade set in the center.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 01-13-2010, 01:23 AM   #11

Premeux fairing speakers

Bought Polk DB651 speakers and Sony CDX-GT640UI with front USB,iPod today. Just have to made spacers for the speakers and install. Now I have to find an antenna that I can mount to the sissy bar. I heard the the hidden powered antennas are not the best out of town as VulcanE had said.

Thank you for all the great input and will let you know how it all sounds.

Bulldog

Old 01-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Premeux fairing speakers

It's kinda goofy ( but works). On my Premuix, he has a regular old car antenna zip tyed to the inside of the fairing near the windshield. It works like a Hot Damn! It's extended the full lenght of the fairing and I have yet to not have it work. I did have to wrap the ends in foam tape to stop a slight buzz, but that was when I first got it and since it makes no noise. He did take the adjustable base off the antenna so to keep it simple.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #13

Premeux fairing speakers

Installed the system and it sounds great, still haven't decided yet on the antenna set up.

Thanks for all the input

Bulldog

Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 PM   #14

Premeux fairing speakers

Id just cable tie an antenna in the fairing as previously mentioned until you get a beer box.
I installed a Sony CDX-GT630UI in my daughters car a couple months ago and it made a huge difference in the sound quality, even with the stock factory speakers.
Thats partly why Im leaning towards a Sony unit for the bike.
They seem to work great.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #15

Premeux fairing speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog
Installed the system and it sounds great, still haven't decided yet on the antenna set up.

Thanks for all the input

Bulldog
Yeah, those Polk speakers do sound awesome, especially with a good head unit. Good luck with the antenna, I have one, but frankly, I hardly ever listen to the radio.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381