Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > National Rally 2009 - Custer, SD

Old 06-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Who is Home and When?

As Trip and I parted ways today, we talked about a thread for those who went to Custer. Please post that you made it home and when so we know you are safe and sound.

I made it home today (6/19). It was a long haul ::) but I did it.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #2

Who is Home and When?

We rolled in At 5:00 PM central time.
WOW what a great rally!
We did not make the banquet last night because one of my Devil's Tower riders decided to walk the path around Devil's Tower and then we got pounded by rain all the way back to Custer.
I was more than a little pissed.
Went thru Custer State Park this morning and there were 2 buffalo laying down in the event tent. . . . .Must have been a hell of a party.

GREAT seeing you again Waterman

Mike "Kioti" Gregg
Peripheral visionary, wanderer, vagabond, pilgrim, rambler, roamer, nomad

VBA #00380
VROC #11078
Lennox, SD *AMERICA by GOD*

2016 Kawasaki Vaquero
2009 Victory Vision - gone
2006 Kawasaki Nomad - gone
2002 Kawasaki 1500 Classic - gone

"A Bumble Bee is considerably faster than a Super H Farmall"

2009 Black Hills Rally
2018 Black Hills Rally

Old 06-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #3

Who is Home and When?

Just got in 5:00PM, 1496 miles total, round trip. Left the Bavarian at 8:15AM, split from Trip's group headed for Burlington,CO at Sidney NB, Ballast last seen in Sidney headed for Pueblo, CO, left Dan behind somewhere near Bridgeport NB taking pictures, Waterman got off at Sterling, CO and I waved goodbye to Pronghorn at I-76 and Colo 52.

It was a great time and was so good to meet so many of the group. There will be a flood of pics and stories I'm sure. I haven't yet checked the blogs to see how much info is coming in. Didn't have access all week.

Would be good to see if there were any significant mechanical problems encountered by anyone getting home, there didn't seem to be any getting there or during the rally. What great bikes! Turned a lot of heads to see so many Nomads together.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #4

Who is Home and When?

I'm not meaning to hijack this thread but I just want to let you all know that Trip, SWB, Wanderer, Oldbikers, and Darlene and I made it to Burlington CO. We are cleaning up and will walk across the street to the steakhouse within the next hour. We are pleased to see that Waterman, Kioti, and Ells made it home safe and sound. If we have access to a computer tomorrow night, we'll let you all know that we made it safe and sound to Clinton, OK. Thanks.

Mitch

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 06-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Who is Home and When?

Haven't made it home yet. We made a little side trip to Red Lodge Montana, south of Billings, and are going to ride the Bear Tooth Highway tomorrow. One of the passes is almost 11,000 feet high so we should run into snow if it starts raining and the forecast is calling for afternoon thundershowers; just can't get away from the rain.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Who is Home and When?

Cactus Jack and I made it to Green River Wyoming about 450miles. Still about 900 left. All is safe so far!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 06-19-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Who is Home and When?

I got home to Crete, Nebraska today at 3:00 pm (CST). The weather threatened rain, but I didn't get rained on. The weather was great the whole trip. I did somewhere around 1300 miles total this week.

On a side note: Ten miles from home, I went to turn around on the highway, and got off on the shoulder (dirt). It had previously poured before I came through. Well, you can guess what happened. As I went along the shoulder, expecting to get back on the road, the mud was slick and I went down, and got thrown off the bike. Thankfully, I was going very slow, so no damage done, just a dirty bike. God was gracious.

I am praying for you all to get home safely.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #8

Who is Home and When?

It was only 400 miles to get back to Denver, and I got here at 5:15. As Ells said, I peeled off to ride alone so I could stop and take pictures. I stopped and got gas right under their noses while they were eating lunch, but didn't know they were there.

If I had known, I would have stopped and said a proper good bye.

I don't know how it is for the rest of you, but heading to the rally I was excited and looking forward to the rally and it seemed like the ride up was a breeze (perhaps the Wyoming part was windy as hell, not a breeze :) ) The ride home felt twice as long. But now I'm cleaned up, eating pizza and having a beer in my own home :)

Old 06-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #9

Who is Home and When?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat
Haven't made it home yet. We made a little side trip to Red Lodge Montana, south of Billings, and are going to ride the Bear Tooth Highway tomorrow. One of the passes is almost 11,000 feet high so we should run into snow if it starts raining and the forecast is calling for afternoon thundershowers; just can't get away from the rain.
Sorry we missed you CycleCat I really wanted to say Howdy while in Custer.

Ride safe for the return home

Mike "Kioti" Gregg
Peripheral visionary, wanderer, vagabond, pilgrim, rambler, roamer, nomad

VBA #00380
VROC #11078
Lennox, SD *AMERICA by GOD*

2016 Kawasaki Vaquero
2009 Victory Vision - gone
2006 Kawasaki Nomad - gone
2002 Kawasaki 1500 Classic - gone

"A Bumble Bee is considerably faster than a Super H Farmall"

2009 Black Hills Rally
2018 Black Hills Rally

Old 06-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #10

Who is Home and When?

I got home about 1:00 pm, Rick about 1 hour later. We made the trip without riding in any rain but couldn't say the same about the heat. The bike is on the lift getting ready to remove the broken rear header pipe from the V & H Baggers. Thanks to Rick, some pop cans, hose clamps and bailing wire we got home without too much trouble. I got the bike unpacked just in time to help take the front end off of the son's 05 Dodge. His parts had arrived to make the repairs from hitting a deer a couple of weeks ago. Installed the new parts, had supper and here I am. After a good nights sleep, tomorrow I start on the bike. I also need to replace the front and rear tires, make repairs to my stereo and driving lights. Seems like everything went to pieces all at once. I hope everyone makes it home or where ever they are heading safely.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #11

Who is Home and When?

Made it home at 1:30 this afternoon.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 06-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Who is Home and When?

Hey Kioti. Kept trying to find you and never did. Sorry to have missed you. Hope to see you at a Kawanow or VROC rally sometime soon.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Who is Home and When?

Haven't made it home yet, 2 days of riding left. BD and I are in Green River, WY for the night (180 miles E of Salt Lake City. We rode about 450 miles today, the last 120 on I-80 with a stiff headwind.

Weather was nice all day, except for the wind. A storm is moving into Salt Lake City from Nevada tomorrow, so we are going to be on the road at 06:00 to try to get through the Salt Lake area before it hits.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-20-2009, 07:19 AM   #14
Top Contributor

Who is Home and When?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioti
We rolled in At 5:00 PM central time.
WOW what a great rally!
We did not make the banquet last night because one of my Devil's Tower riders decided to walk the path around Devil's Tower and then we got pounded by rain all the way back to Custer.
I was more than a little pissed.
Went thru Custer State Park this morning and there were 2 buffalo laying down in the event tent. . . . .Must have been a hell of a party.

GREAT seeing you again Waterman
Kioti,

Glad to see you again. Let's not make it so long next time.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 06-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #15

Who is Home and When?

We are still in Custer. Staying through next Wednesday. Sorry I didn't get to meet everyone. My wife has been feeling a little under the weather and has limited our getting about.
I got a trailer rented to haul the nomad home cause she isn't sure about driving alone.

Wish I could have made the group rides but I will never forget sitting on the deck at the Bavarian and chatting with folks.
Kioti I feel really foolish for not getting to meet you in person considering we only live a few miles from each other and stayed in the same motel in Custer.