Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-25-2015, 04:40 AM   #1

Trailer light's.

Hello,i am about to wire up a trailer light plug to my 1999 1500 Nomad,i dont really want to have to remove the rear light cluster,because that involve's removing the back wheel to get at the fixing's.I see there is place under the back seat where the loom is visible,and i thought i might try and tap into it,the problem is there aint much slack for messing about splicing wire's into it,let alone stripping it back to identify the colour's.Can anyone tell me what colour wire's do what.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2015, 04:44 AM   #2

Blue and black is brake light hot.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachme View Post
Blue and black is brake light hot.
Well that's a start. (or should that be stop)mate.

Last edited by mick56; 08-25-2015 at 05:33 AM.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:05 AM   #4

I'll look up the rest when I get home if no one's chime in.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:39 AM   #5

When i did mine i used a test light with a very sharp point the kind that has an alligator clip on one end and the other end with the metal point has a light in the unit. You can quickly identify all the wires for what they do by pricking the wire.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2015, 08:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike58 View Post
When i did mine i used a test light with a very sharp point the kind that has an alligator clip on one end and the other end with the metal point has a light in the unit. You can quickly identify all the wires for what they do by pricking the wire.
Thank's mate.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #7
Mega-Contributor

If you lift the seat, you see the bundle of wires that come through the rear fender and disappear into the battery compartment. That is the rear wiring harness. Just tap into the harness near the connector in the battery area. No need to fiddle with the taillight assembly.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
If you lift the seat, you see the bundle of wires that come through the rear fender and disappear into the battery compartment. That is the rear wiring harness. Just tap into the harness near the connector in the battery area. No need to fiddle with the taillight assembly.
I can do that but i will still have to remove the back wheel to hide the wiring under the mudguard,so it might be as well to run it off the back light's while i am there.

Last edited by mick56; 12-07-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #9

I don't recall the wire colors when I wired mine, but I did tap into the where Scott was talking about, and I ran the wires to a quick disconnect mounted under my fender filler behind the saddlebag (right side). When I pull my trailer, the ball and bar has a quick disconnect that the trailer plugs into, then I have a length of harness that I spiral around the saddlebag bracket and plug that into the first disconnect. I used one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Khrome-Werks...de3315&vxp=mtr

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 08-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post
I don't recall the wire colors when I wired mine, but I did tap into the where Scott was talking about, and I ran the wires to a quick disconnect mounted under my fender filler behind the saddlebag (right side). When I pull my trailer, the ball and bar has a quick disconnect that the trailer plugs into, then I have a length of harness that I spiral around the saddlebag bracket and plug that into the first disconnect. I used one of these
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Khrome-Werks...de3315&vxp=mtr

I tell you what mate,you've just solved a problem for me i have been thinking of having the connector mounted behind the number plate,close to the ball hitch,but you are right,i dont need to do that,i can run the cable from the harness under the back seat,and mount the socket under my rear rack,so the cable will be out of sight,brilliant ! Now all i have to do is get someone to kick me in the arse for not thinking of it myself.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #11

Glad to help, and a good thing about doing it that way, when your not pulling the trailer, none of that stuff is visible.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 08-26-2015, 05:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post
Glad to help, and a good thing about doing it that way, when your not pulling the trailer, none of that stuff is visible.
Good shout mate,i just ordered 2 of these,1 will go under the rear rack,the other on the trailer towbar. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3214806604...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
and 1 of these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181795990342

Old 08-26-2015, 08:11 PM   #13

There are bullet plugs for everything under seat. I have build Y connections with appropriate males/females to "splice in". That way you can unplug things later. You will need the wheel off though.

http://vulcangadgets.com/files/reartireoff.html

Also zip tie the new wires to the existing wires clipped under the mudguard(fender to us, colonials). I have tried to fit extra wires into the clips and the wires didn't stay clipped. The tire will eat the wires quickly when that happens.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearitupfixitrepeat View Post
There are bullet plugs for everything under seat. I have build Y connections with appropriate males/females to "splice in". That way you can unplug things later. You will need the wheel off though.

Also zip tie the new wires to the existing wires clipped under the mudguard(fender to us, colonials). I have tried to fit extra wires into the clips and the wires didn't stay clipped. The tire will eat the wires quickly when that happens.
Thank's for the input mate. I dont want to take the back wheel out again until i need a new tyre ( wont be long ) so i am going to take the easy way out. Mine has a run of cable coming up through the mudguard from the back light's,joining the loom/harness prior to disapearing behind the battery,with no bullet plug's in sight,i am going to splice into it there.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearitupfixitrepeat View Post

Apologies mate,you were right about the bullit connection's,i did'nt see them tucked away down behind the battery housing. Can anyone tell me what wire's do what,ive found diagram's but none of them mention what colour the wire's are.