Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > SouthEast Rally '14

Old 06-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #1

We're back from the SE Rally

We got home around 2:30. Nice ride back until about 12 miles from home and the sky just opened up. Had to sit it out at a gas station.
We had another great time and met some of them there "northerners" you know "TC and Cindy". Another great rally and good people.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2014, 05:52 PM   #2

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
We just got in a little while ago.

Gosh, what a Rally!!!!!!!!!
I hope next time more folks are able to make it, because every ride was an adventure and every meal was nothing less than fabulous!

Well I have to get me a power nap.

Great weather all the way home by the by!

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 06-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #3
Advanced Member

We're home. Made about 3

Web Slinger's Speedo face, Chuckster's Air Kit, Jay's LED Tail light, dshelly's throttle mod, Kuryakan Deep Bezel lens, Headlight Modulator, Kuryakan Run/Brake/Turn, DWG 2" speakers and amp, Stebel Air Horn

Fire & Iron, Red Knights, ROK, VBA, VRA, VROC, IAFF

Old 06-13-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
The Monster size combined west coast rally will be the real rally this year!!! Bigger than the National!!! We rock!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 06-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #5

Glad you guys made it home.
Cindy and I went to New river bridge and now on our way to Wheels Through Time in Maggie Valley.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-14-2014, 01:59 AM   #6

I'll tell you folks, it's always the last rally that seems like the best rally you've attended. This one sets a standard that sure going to be a tough one to beat. I left home traveling Hwy 601 in NC to I-77 which turns NE into the Virginia mountains and gives me a "OMG" view of Northern North Carolina Mountains and valleys, a magnificent day time view, but nothing less than emotionally heart stirring at night when the glowing lights of the cities dot the scene.

I met DKDixon, his sweet girl friend, Marge, and Cliff and his lovely wife Dianne for an over nighter in Wytheville, VA.. From there, the next morning, Dick Dixon led us on the twisting back roads of Virginia and West Virginia on into Elkins.

I have to mention Mike Meeks did a spectacular flawless job of assuming the unelected, but mutually awarded position of Rally Coordinator. He was off the cuff with the exception of garnering general agreements from everybody. The rides were mostly a spontaneous consensus, I guess you could say. The highlight of the rally for me, was he managed to get us a private tour of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) site at Green Bank. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bank_Telescope , https://science.nrao.edu/facilities/gbt/ . Through work relationship with a couple technicians that he knows, the Techs gave us an in-depth tour of the large telescope while it was down for maintenance. By in-depth I mean ride the elevator to the top of the dish and see the inner workings, and were able to walk out onto the dish. Just an amazing structure! We were certainly privileged for that opportunity, because tours like that are not allowed anymore due to tightened security reasons.

The other ride included a stop in Cass, West Virginia. Cass is a quiet historic city that offers scenic railroad excursions by steam locomotive. They also have an interesting museum that houses antique railroad artifacts, town history and many photographs. http://www.cassrailroad.com.

Sadly, I had to miss a ride, because of a hellasious muscle spasm in my back! I felt it coming on at breakfast and thought if I laid down it would pass, but it got worse. To their credit, my wife and Miss Marge tried to massage it out. It worked until I BREATHED and then it came back! If the truth is known, the snarling spawns of Satin evil bastards, with the gnashing teeth must have built a voodoo doll of me and stabbed it with a red hot welding rod or something for having to cover my spot at work.

To me, the thrill of a Rally, aside from "remeeting" old friends and seeing attractions, is the trip there and back home, is meeting the locals and seeing the excitement in the little kids eyes, and answering their questions about why we stopped in their "nothing here" little town.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 06-14-2014, 03:02 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Sounds like a perfect time Mike. I would like to have met you, and Tim also but graduation, birthday and an anniversary tied up my last two weekends along with just returning back to work after a couple months off.

I did manage a couple enjoyable rides here over the last week but they were short and Tims pics have me longing for a road trip. Glad you had fun and everyone made it home ok.
(kawboysix)

Old 06-14-2014, 07:01 AM   #8

Day 3 at the restaurant
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SE Rally day 3 035.jpg (93.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg SE Rally day 3 036.jpg (91.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg SE Rally day 3 037.jpg (91.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg SE Rally day 3 038.jpg (92.2 KB, 36 views)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
The Monster size combined west coast rally will be the real rally this year!!! Bigger than the National!!! We rock!
Why don't you not show up, and another 20 or 30 people with bikes would attend, yah damn worthless, sad, sad, miserable, demented, pitiful excuse for a man, you?

It ain't the size of the rally, 'tis what you do with it.
At least, that's what the guys with little rallies say.

Oh, I believe I left out pretentious condescending pompous asshole..

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 06-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawhead View Post
I'll tell you folks, it's always the last rally that seems like the best rally you've attended. This one sets a standard that sure going to be a tough one to beat. I left home traveling Hwy 601 in NC to I-77 which turns NE into the Virginia mountains and gives me a "OMG" view of Northern North Carolina Mountains and valleys, a magnificent day time view, but nothing less than emotionally heart stirring at night when the glowing lights of the cities dot the scene.

I met DKDixon, his sweet girl friend, Marge, and Cliff and his lovely wife Dianne for an over nighter in Wytheville, VA.. From there, the next morning, Dick Dixon led us on the twisting back roads of Virginia and West Virginia on into Elkins.

I have to mention Mike Meeks did a spectacular flawless job of assuming the unelected, but mutually awarded position of Rally Coordinator. He was off the cuff with the exception of garnering general agreements from everybody. The rides were mostly a spontaneous consensus, I guess you could say. The highlight of the rally for me, was he managed to get us a private tour of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) site at Green Bank. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bank_Telescope , https://science.nrao.edu/facilities/gbt/ . Through work relationship with a couple technicians that he knows, the Techs gave us an in-depth tour of the large telescope while it was down for maintenance. By in-depth I mean ride the elevator to the top of the dish and see the inner workings, and were able to walk out onto the dish. Just an amazing structure! We were certainly privileged for that opportunity, because tours like that are not allowed anymore due to tightened security reasons.

The other ride included a stop in Cass, West Virginia. Cass is a quiet historic city that offers scenic railroad excursions by steam locomotive. They also have an interesting museum that houses antique railroad artifacts, town history and many photographs. http://www.cassrailroad.com.

Sadly, I had to miss a ride, because of a hellasious muscle spasm in my back! I felt it coming on at breakfast and thought if I laid down it would pass, but it got worse. To their credit, my wife and Miss Marge tried to massage it out. It worked until I BREATHED and then it came back! If the truth is known, the snarling spawns of Satin evil bastards, with the gnashing teeth must have built a voodoo doll of me and stabbed it with a red hot welding rod or something for having to cover my spot at work.

To me, the thrill of a Rally, aside from "remeeting" old friends and seeing attractions, is the trip there and back home, is meeting the locals and seeing the excitement in the little kids eyes, and answering their questions about why we stopped in their "nothing here" little town.
But.....was there any moonshine PIE.....?? Apple, Peach, Blueberry....????....!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 06-14-2014, 11:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawboysix View Post
Sounds like a perfect time Mike. I would like to have met you, and Tim also but graduation, birthday and an anniversary tied up my last two weekends along with just returning back to work after a couple months off.

I did manage a couple enjoyable rides here over the last week but they were short and Tims pics have me longing for a road trip. Glad you had fun and everyone made it home ok.
Just like any of them it was great, and I only mentioned a few snippets.

I'll tell you, I was under the impression that when we reached this point in our lives, we become less essential, and things got less complicated. Hell no! The septic tank needs to be pumped, the roof turns 30, cars start tearing up, young-uns want to go to college. You have to plead with somebody to cover you at work, aside from massaging the supervisor for a week off, then we have to poll and adjust the rally time for the most to attend.

I'm telling you, the fact that a rally even exist is a miracle and nothing short of an act of divine intervention!

Even as you're leaving the driveway you're thinking, golly, I could be doing this, this, and that this week.

Hopefully you can make the next one.
The Ozark rally is in a couple weeks. Just a suggestion. I'd be there except my Aunt needs a stove and some brush cleared.
She's in Byron, GA. Just a suggestion. Brang money.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 06-14-2014, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
But.....was there any moonshine PIE.....?? Apple, Peach, Blueberry....????....!
Indeed there was!
When Tom is there, they's gonna be that.

There was so much beer I believe everybody left beer to some fortunate soul.
Most likely, the cleaning staff.

It got from "Would you like a beer?" to "Please, for the love of godd, take a BEER!"

I don't think Budman brangs that much beer!

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 06-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #13

Was this a VBA or AARP rally?

Old 06-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Was this a VBA or AARP rally?
It was a "Everybody but Dave Is Invited Rally".

I reckon I wont get to meet you some day unless we hold one in Itchycoo Park.

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

Old 06-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #15

We got home about 4 pm today, had a wonderful time, and nobody can put it into words as good as Kawhead.............. way to go mike!
and on another note , Mike (Classic1) was awesome with his tours of West Virginia.

Also, a special "THANK YOU" to Tom, and Connie, Your hospitality made us feel like family.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Last edited by VulcanE; 06-14-2014 at 06:41 PM.